Chris's Cobbling Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Chris's Cobbling Bench

Post by chrism »

Thanks for the interest and comments folks. Daz, I have had a borrow recently of a book which has given me quite a bit of inspiration and ideas ... and I took copies of a few images from it to provide some scope for this project. More on this in a while once I have a better plan and a suitable sized base board sorted out. The figures you found will fit in so well with a lot of the images in the book ....

But back now to the Vosper .... it is a slow slog this one, and there has been a bit more progress recently

the kit supplied lift raft is a bit tame, and the replacement one for the upper visible one, certainly looks a lot better. I have used one of the kit pieces for the lower one, and sanded some of the moulding back, and rescored it.

the replacement torpedo tubes have made such a difference. i did have to use the kit parts for the tips that are placed in the ends of the tubes.

I have made a start on the main gun too. Just to show the difference in the replacement, I have assembled the core parts of the kit one too:

I have a lot of work still to do on this build, with various etch and resin improvement bits to add, and guns to make so it is not going to be a quick finish anytime soon.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

The improvements are working :mrgreen:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Those are beautiful replacements and improvements!

Cheers,

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks Ratch and Skypirate. I am very pleased with the quality of the Coastal Craft components. Their etch metal is nice to work with, and the resin is ... well resin but it is clean and not clogged up with mould rubber like some companies offerings can be.

A little more time this weekend has been spent on the Vosper.
I have made a few boat hooks (one of which is in this picture) and made up the rocket flare launchers which should be mounted above 2 of the torpedo tubes, and not the guns Airfix intended. The Lewis guns and other main gun are also now ready for fitting and will be added once rigging is all done.

I have started cleaning up the crew supplied in the kit, and as I had 2 kits to make this one from, have painted up all the men, and that will give me a few for the other Coastal craft kits I am building. There are in this photo a few white metal Gunthwaite figures, which I spent ages looking for recently, having put them away safely (as you do!!)

Whilst I was looking for those men, I refound this kit, and got it out; and started to assemble it the other evening. It has honour of being my first "binning" of the year. What can I say ... it just did not want to glue together; some parts of the chassis were so brittle that they broke before I could get them off the runner; then some of them were of such chewy rubbery plastic, that they over-melted with liquid poly .... and well - I had had enough after an hour, as the mating points were so fine and flimsy too.

However I will leave you with the final images of where I now am with the Vosper. Next is rigging it and then adding the final flourishes to finish it off.

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I like the look of those figures Chris :razz:
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Vosper has progressed very nicely indeed Chris, and I'm sure will look even better with the figures populating her deck. Shame about the Roden ambulance....that should have been a nice little build!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The additional work to the old Airfix Vosper is really paying off, Chris and it is shaping up very nicely. Indeed it is a shame about that Roden Vauxhall ambulance - a potentially interesting model blighted by what sounds to be an entirely crap kit.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks Ratch, Shaun and Iggie.

As far as the ambulance is concerned - you win some you lose some. I am not prepared now to spend ages struggling with something that has cost in region of £10, to then still end up with a crap finish, which is the category that kit fell into.

Ratch - the figures from Gunthwaite are really nicely moulded and are going to take a dark wash and some drybrushing nicely, once they are painted. Some more photos of the figures attached here

The airfix ones are coming along, and for airfix figures they are also well defined and have scope for a wash and brushup

As a tease - here are a couple of other items I fished out from the back of cupboard the other day while looking for those Gunthwaite men. I think these two might also see the sharp end of the scalpel soon. The etch is specifically for the new tooling that was new, back in 2012-ish, and was bought back when WEM were here in the UK.

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

That Vosper looks fantastic!
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Looking good all round Chris 8-)
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

Cheers Ratch.

The last couple days the light levels have not been overly wonderful, so I have contented myself with a dabble here and a dabble there on a number of projects.

Firstly, the container ship. That has had a few of its decals added, and some base paint has been applied to all of the containers.

The Swordfish has been started. At the moment I do not foresee this being a wonderful model of a plane, but for me at moment, it is a good practice piece for trying out and experimenting with some different approaches to the etch metal.

The sea king has had some paint on its interior parts, and I will need to give that another coat and then start assembling the interior

The 1/35 scale figures for the Vietnam ColdWarSIG scene have had a base coat of green. It is certainly somewhat fiddly trying to paint the 3 men joined together, but it is the only way forward with them, as assembly of them after painting could have been a disaster with all the gaps and part fitting.

The 1/72 scale men for the Vospers have had a little more attention, and still need a lot more

And as a bit of other news .... the postman has recently delivered these. Red Zebra have (for the time being) discontinued these items from their range for the Airfix 1/48 Afghan vehicles. Luckily when I contacted Paul, he advised that there were still a few pieces of stowage lurking in a box, and he was able to let me have a mixed bundle of bits and pieces, and a set of wheels. These will at least go some way to decorating a vehicle, and will allow me to upgrade and correct the wheels. So I was lucky to get them. I do have a Coyote kit in the stash which was picked up rediculously cheap very recently, and as I still have the etch which I have never used ... I can see one of these coming on soon. Thinking currently that I may wait and start it and share over on for the ATF for the birthday build (as the ATF originally sent me the etch - Ratch ;-) !) I shall have to pop over there soon and re-read my review build for one of these
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Thats a very busy bench with some excellent work going on.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
chrism

Post by chrism »

Cheers Paddy.

There has been a little more progress on things the last couple days. I have started rigging the Vosper, but will wait until it is finished to share that again. The crew for it are progressing along, and I need some good daylight to finish them off. I have meanwhile done a bit more with the interior of the Sea king. I am giving this kit a bit of life with an Airwaves etch fret. The fret is a small item approx 3 inch by 2 and a taste of the instruction sheet will give an idea of what it can add. I have given my build the seat belts and control panel so far. This is a "first" for me, adding etch seatbelts to anything.

This is such an old kit it pre-dated Airfix supplying a control panel decal, and there is just a black/white image on instruction sheet to cut out and glue on in those days.

So far this is all just dry fitted into the fuselage hull, and I have some final touching up before glueing it together . The windows have gone in reasonably well, and I can only put that feature down to it being an early issue of the plastic ... but there will still be a that trademark (for this kit) gaping gap around the nose to attend too. I had hoped it might have escaped that problem,

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You have some wonderful work going on in my thread.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
chrism

Post by chrism »

splash wrote:You have some wonderful work going on in my thread.
Reading that made me panic and check it was actually MY build thread this was all in .. as I could quite easily have posted something in someone elses...

Return to “Workbench Window”