Chris's Cobbling Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Chris's Cobbling Bench

Post by chrism »

Thanks for looking in everyone and commenting. There is still a long way to go with Old 66 yet.
splash wrote: The old Frog Lightship was one of my favourite builds back in the mid sixties as the lightship used to come as the South Godwins light that was just along the Kent coast from where I lived.

Are you going to add a light to it? If so I could help you by making a micro LED light that would flash in the correct sequence.
Lighting up the lightship it is something that I was considering, and have started to do some preliminary thinking about. I will drop you a line via PM, as I need and want to work a few things out with the build if I do go that route. (within the lower structure up to the light, there are set of ladders and I need to work out how/where I will place the cable and conceal it to bring down to deck level; It is doable, I just need to sort myself out
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
chrism

Post by chrism »

With Alan having accepted the post of Chief Lighting technician for the Lightship project, I thought I ought to pull a finger out and get other things further advanced, towards the finish line, so I can get onto the lightship properly.

The rest of the decals are now on the Sea King, and have been sealed, so I can now add the final fiddly bits and sort out the rotors and get this one finished hopefully soon.

As for the accommodation block on the container ship, that is fighting me big time. I cannot help wonder, if the reason it is fighting is partly of my own making, and comes down to me having painted parts before assembling them; as this is a newish tooling and as we have been discussing elsewhere on the forum, the newer tooled kits are all such a precise fit.

I will need to get some evergreen strip out and venture off piste and do whatever to get it looking presentable and fitting
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

That Seaking is looking fab,great finish.I remember building it when I was a lad,( I still have 2 I think in my stash)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Is that the Sea King that had the Apollo capsule on the box art? It looks great in that classic scheme
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

ejsnotgrass wrote:That Seaking is looking fab,great finish.I remember building it when I was a lad,( I still have 2 I think in my stash)
Thanks Iain. I still have a fair few bits and pieces to add to finish it off, but it is getting there, and this set of new decals have helped a lot.

Iggie: (sorry for the poor image)

iggie

Post by iggie »

chrism wrote:
ejsnotgrass wrote:That Seaking is looking fab,great finish.I remember building it when I was a lad,( I still have 2 I think in my stash)
Thanks Iain. I still have a fair few bits and pieces to add to finish it off, but it is getting there, and this set of new decals have helped a lot.

Iggie: (sorry for the poor image)

Excellent! That's the one I remember; a true Airfix classic 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
chrism

Post by chrism »

Today I have started the painting of the containers .... it is long chore of a job.... but at least I can just do what I like and paint them as I please.

The accommodation block has come together and should just about pass muster with a bit more paint

As a diversion from painting this afternoon, I was messing with the lightship and working out the logistics of lighting up the hull and deck accommodation building...

Alan has managed to talk me into lighting all of it up, and after his suggestions and ideas, I remembered that I already had some suitable lights to use for that part of the project,...

Whereas the other light that is needed, for the top of the tower, Alan is doing something clever for me to incorporate... :)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Would those lights be battery operated copper wire led Christmas lights by any chance? :-D
Best wishes

Jim
chrism

Post by chrism »

Yes the string of lights you see there are indeed one of those one metre strings of LEDs

I picked them up a while back when thinking about lighting for another project ....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That container vessel should make for an interesting piece, Chris, something a bit different. Great light show, now that is something I've never tried!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

That Seaking looks great. Nice work on the floaty things as well.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Nice Sea King. And I like the way you're lighting up the ship.

If I’m not back in 30 minutes, call the President.

A:B 2018 0:1 A:B 2017 28:03 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 360:89
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wonderful to see the old Airfix Sea King getting the treatment!

Cheers,

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks for the comments and interest. The sea king has advanced a little more but I will wait until further in the week to give an update, as I should by then have all the final fiddly bits on.

The container ship is getting there slowly.

Painting the containers really is turning into a royal pain in the rear.
I have now actually got a bit further than when this last update was taken, and hope to be able to get them fitted onto the hull over the next couple days.

Then I hopefully will be able to have a couple of finishes for February.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Are you painting them freehand Chris or do you mask up?
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Workbench Window”