Chris's Cobbling Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Chris's Cobbling Bench

Post by ShaunW »

My goodness you are busy, Chris and there's plenty of great work going on here. That old Airfix Sea King cockpit greatly benefits from the PE IMHO.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I still struggle with one kit at a time so I'm always impressed by busy benches, especially when it's such quality work.
I remember that gap on the Sea King from a couple of years back.... it still gives me nightmares!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

Iggie - I find it useful to have a few things to dibble between, as it allows for coping with waiting for paint drying and/or hardening; or parts setting at times, or if I think I need to stop and check, and spend time on the reference material (which is something I tend to do in an evening sat in armchair with a beer) but it does have a drawback if I haven't spent time on one for a week or two as I then have to refresh and take stock when I do get back on it.

Shaun - there is an awful lot of very little fiddly parts crammed into such a small fret of etch, but it has brought the inside of this old thing to life, and I am hoping to get to use a few parts around the exhausts and tail later to pep them up. Certainly for many of these old classics or fossils a bit of aftermarket or even wire and evergreen are a must to get them upto something acceptable, whereas with some of the etch on the swordfish sheet, it is adding yet more detail to what is there, and I am not convinced that some of the areas that the etch was designed for on that kit, really needed it as it was a new tool kit.. (I will be back on that one in a day or two with new photos)

As for the seam on the seaking nose .... when I got this one joined up this morning, she certainly lived up to tradition. However I have not needed as much filler on it as some I have built from much later releases.

This second photo is where I now am with this one. All painting is freehand so far, and once the final white silk/satin paint goes on the uppers, I shall mask on the white and get the demarcation. For the final shade of grey, I will be using a silk one that is lighter than this matt used for the base coat.

Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
chrism

Post by chrism »

Iggie - I find it useful to have a few things to dibble between, as it allows for coping with waiting for paint drying and/or hardening; or parts setting at times, or if I think I need to stop and check, and spend time on the reference material (which is something I tend to do in an evening sat in armchair with a beer) but it does have a drawback if I haven't spent time on one for a week or two as I then have to refresh and take stock when I do get back on it.

Shaun - there is an awful lot of very little fiddly parts crammed into such a small fret of etch, but it has brought the inside of this old thing to life, and I am hoping to get to use a few parts around the exhausts and tail later to pep them up. Certainly for many of these old classics or fossils a bit of aftermarket or even wire and evergreen are a must to get them upto something acceptable, whereas with some of the etch on the swordfish sheet, it is adding yet more detail to what is there, and I am not convinced that some of the areas that the etch was designed for on that kit, really needed it as it was a new tool kit.. (I will be back on that one in a day or two with new photos)

As for the seam on the seaking nose .... when I got this one joined up this morning, she certainly lived up to tradition. However I have not needed as much filler on it as some I have built from much later releases.

This second photo is where I now am with this one. All painting is freehand so far, and once the final white silk/satin paint goes on the uppers, I shall mask on the white and get the demarcation. For the final shade of grey, I will be using a silk one that is lighter than this matt used for the base coat.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

chrism wrote:
splash wrote:You have some wonderful work going on in my thread.
Reading that made me panic and check it was actually MY build thread this was all in .. as I could quite easily have posted something in someone elses...
Oooooops sorry, dam predictive text.

Nice to see an early Seaking without the Barn Door intake shield. The white and Grey always looked better than the RN's dark blue during the 60's and 70's

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

The seaking cockpit looks fantastic. Nice work on that gap. I attempted the yellow SAR version of this kit a few years back and promptly surrendered when it came to adding the canopy
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Sea King is really coming on very nicely, Chris. Alas, as you have pointed out, the nose gap and/or poor fitting windscreen is an issue with this oldie.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Cheers Shaun, Paddy and Alan.

Alan - I too am liking this early edition of the kit, and the grey/white colour scheme.

Paddy - on matter of yellow airfix S&R seakings ... I will add some photos shortly of something I found in a charity shop recently

Shaun - The sea king has surrendered nicely now. There are no fresh photos yet as it is a case of painting and waiting with it to dry and harden now for a day or two.

I did however get the final photos for the Vosper and the AA David Brown tractor and have those for January completions.

First up the Vosper: it does still need a cloth flag - and I am purposely waiting until middle of the year to place an order in one go, for a number of flags for all builds that will by then need them,

and here is one of it alongside its stablemate, the Airfix RAF Boat, this too needs a cloth flag and will shortly get one:

I have probably not shared any images of this build on this forum:

Next up, are the final images of the Accurate Armour David Brown tractor:

Now - the wretched Airfix Swordfish aeroplane .... I really am not a plane builder, and whilst I have got the swordfish to this stage, have got to be honest with myself and admit that I am not enjoying it,

so .... I shall now put this aside and it may go in the bin, which seems a shame as the outside of it is all untouched and non ruined by myself... or I could get it bagged up and given to give a new kit a home come November, or any other offers to rehome it from people who comment and contribute to the thread and who would build it, will be considered.

Lastly - I spotted this airfix jigsaw in a local charity shop, and having got it home and built it, opted to frame it and will put it on the wall in the modelling area

chrism

Post by chrism »

Alan - I too am liking this early edition of the kit, and the grey/white colour scheme.

Paddy - on matter of yellow airfix S&R seakings ... I will add some photos shortly of something I found in a charity shop recently

Shaun - The sea king has surrendered nicely now. There are no fresh photos yet as it is a case of painting and waiting with it to dry and harden now for a day or two.

I did however get the final photos for the Vosper and the AA David Brown tractor and have those for January completions.

First up the Vosper: it does still need a cloth flag - and I am purposely waiting until middle of the year to place an order in one go, for a number of flags for all builds that will by then need them,

and here is one of it alongside its stablemate, the Airfix RAF Boat, this too needs a cloth flag and will shortly get one:

Now - the wretched Airfix Swordfish aeroplane .... I really am not a plane builder, and whilst I have got the swordfish to this stage, have got to be honest with myself and admit that I am not enjoying it,

so .... I shall now put this aside and it may go in the bin, which seems a shame as the outside of it is all untouched and non ruined by myself... or I could get it bagged up and given to give a new kit a home come November, or any other offers to rehome it from people who comment and contribute to the thread and who would build it, will be considered.

Lastly - I spotted this airfix jigsaw in a local charity shop, and having got it home and built it, opted to frame it and will put it on the wall in the modelling area

chrism

Post by chrism »

iggie

Post by iggie »

The Vosper looks superb Chris and even more so alongside the RAF Launch!
I know you are not a big aircraft builder but I really enjoyed the Swordfish when I did mine; give it a chance and it might just redeem itself :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Chris that Vosper looks fantastic. Great find with the Airfix jigsaw.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Very attractive pair of boats!
Sorry to hear about your Swordfish travails. Maybe a break from it will help.

Cheers,

David
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Triple post :shock: you must have a sticky button Chris :lol:
The Vosper looks excellent :razz: What do you use for rigging and how do you get the tension?
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, you've really made the Vosper and RAF launch shine. The DB tractor of course is a very different kettle of fish subject wise and once again that is a great build. Shame about the Swordfish but as we all know a build can sometimes just be like that - my Shelf of Shame has some long-term half-built inhabitants!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”