A Builder's Bench - pmmaker's Hobby Boss P-40M

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
pmmaker
Active Participant

A Builder's Bench - pmmaker's Hobby Boss P-40M

Post by pmmaker »

Going to document this build in a workbench thread. My latest acquisition is this Hobby Boss 1/72nd scale P-40M. I haven't built a P-40 in years and I've never built one in RAF desert colors before. Should be fun as I stretch myself a bit out of my comfort/interest zones.

I hope to begin work this weekend as it is the Thanksgiving holiday here in the states and I'll have a bit of time at the workbench.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: A Builder's Bench - pmmaker's Hobby Boss P-40M

Post by ShaunW »

This looks promising, PMM and I also like the P-40 but haven't built one in a few years although I have one of the newer Airfix 1/48th examples in the stash to be done at some point. Have a great Thanksgiving - we don't celebrate it over here but I know it is a big holiday period in the States.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Got to the workbench today after a great Thanksgiving dinner. Painted small parts and started building the cockpit. These partially-built Hobby Boss kits simplify the building process and cut down on those tedious filling and sanding tasks. Parts are well molded and go together rather well.

I was going to spray paint the camouflage pattern, but now I think I'll be hand painting by brush instead.

pmmaker

Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Those kits fly together! Looking very neat already 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

iggie wrote:Those kits fly together! Looking very neat already 8-)
Thanks iggie. This is my second Hobby Boss kit and so far the engineering has been consistent. The parts go together cleanly and with a minimum of trimming and gluing. My goal is to finish the assembling today and then focus on painting and decaling. I have to mix the correct blue for the underside.

pmmaker
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That does look to be a neat kit and I know they are popular amongst the blitzbau crew on here due to the speed with which they can be assembled. The detail looks good to me as well so I would say that this is no oversimplified kit despite coming partially assembled. I spy a bit of drilling going on near the nose, what's that in connection with?

IPMS#12300
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

ShaunW wrote:That does look to be a neat kit and I know they are popular amongst the blitzbau crew on here due to the speed with which they can be assembled. The detail looks good to me as well so I would say that this is no oversimplified kit despite coming partially assembled. I spy a bit of drilling going on near the nose, what's that in connection with?
Ah, yes. One of the modifications made to the P-40M was the addition of engine cooling grills behind the spinner and in front of the exhaust stacks. The kit has the grill work "dimpled" in the mold. I decided to use a sharp hobby knife blade and drill them out. It's a simple touch that adds a bit of realism to what is a nicely detailed mold.

pmmaker
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Took time to complete the cockpit (added seat belts, painted instruments, added a gun sight) and did a rough painting of the wings:

When I attached the lower wing to the fuselage, my first problem reared up - the fit is not quite there and a large seam gap runs from the engine through the wing-root/fuselage join, all the way back to the tail wheel bay.

Luckily I have my tube of Perfect Plastic Putty. I filled in the gaps and smoothed them out with a wet finger.

In a couple of hours when the putty is dry, I'll give the seams a light sanding and then I'll be ready for final painting.

pmmaker
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great further progress, PMM and hopefully you can smooth out those annoying joins without too much further work. Personally I'm not sure that HB's method of part-construction has not resulted in more difficult to cure seam lines that if they had left the kit to be joined along more traditional lines :???:

IPMS#12300
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

After a week away, I return to the bench for a few hours work. Today I painted the camouflage pattern for this RAF P-40M in desert colors. I used Tamiya Desert Yellow and Tamiya Dark Earth for the upper surfaces. For the underside blue I mixed equal parts Tamiya Sky Blue and Japanese Navy Gray.

I painted the entire model by hand using both a soft sable art brush and a fine tipped brush. All the remaining small parts are painted and ready for assembly.

pmmaker

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a great looking paint job, PMM.

IPMS#12300
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Finally finished the building and painting on this one. All I need to do is applying the decals. Once that's done I'll start a new thread in the Aircraft Modeling section to show off the finished project. Overall, not a bad kit for my first P-40 build in many, many years.

pmmaker

Return to “Workbench Window”