Shaun's 2018/19 Bodging Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Corricon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shaun's 2018 Bodging Bench

Post by Corricon »

Good recovery on the drive sprockets etc!
Steve
Now a full time modeller!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers, Steve. The work set me back an afternoon or so but at least I know that those wheels are now solid and shouldn't drop off when the final paint has been done and I'm putting the tracks back on!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Corricon

Post by Corricon »

Thinking on about the side stowage, I haven’t seen many WW2 pictures of Crusaders with the side bars and stowage. I even found a picture of the same tank that I have just finished and all it had were the Sand Shields. So you could complete it without.
Steve
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Corricon wrote:Thinking on about the side stowage, I haven’t seen many WW2 pictures of Crusaders with the side bars and stowage. I even found a picture of the same tank that I have just finished and all it had were the Sand Shields. So you could complete it without.
Funny you should mention that, Steve, as I'd noticed a distinct lack of the side bar racks myself whilst perusing pics of Crusaders on Google Images. I'm beginning to wonder whether at the time of designing the kit in the 1970's Airfix had access to a Crusader equipped with the bars and took it that most vehicles were fitted with them when in fact it could have been a local modification peculiar to one regiment. I'll keep having a look but I've found that there aren't as many wartime shots of the Crusader III as I thought there would be.

IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Superb looking Crusader Shaun!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Looking great :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

ShaunW wrote:
Corricon wrote:Thinking on about the side stowage, I haven’t seen many WW2 pictures of Crusaders with the side bars and stowage. I even found a picture of the same tank that I have just finished and all it had were the Sand Shields. So you could complete it without.
Funny you should mention that, Steve, as I'd noticed a distinct lack of the side bar racks myself whilst perusing pics of Crusaders on Google Images. I'm beginning to wonder whether at the time of designing the kit in the 1970's Airfix had access to a Crusader equipped with the bars and took it that most vehicles were fitted with them when in fact it could have been a local modification peculiar to one regiment. I'll keep having a look but I've found that there aren't as many wartime shots of the Crusader III as I thought there would be.
Your Crusader looks fantastic Shaun.
With regards to the rails, there's a caption in the Osprey book that claims the rails were added by the crews. Theres also photos of various regiments including Australians with the rails added. It does seem to be a case of add them if you like.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks guys and thanks for the info regarding the storage racks, Paddy. I'm having a go at scratching a replacement rack up to see how it goes. I was browsing more photos earlier this afternoon and spotted a pic of an earlier version of the tank sporting the same load as the Airfix kit on the left hand side rack i.e. the large rolled tarp, machete and canvas bag affair, which is possibly a water holder, so I think I can see where they got the idea for stowage on at least one side of the vehicle!

IPMS#12300
Corricon

Post by Corricon »

Shaun,
Found a couple of old photos of Crusaders in a book I have with the side bars, one of which the Airfix kit seems to emulate, even though the Crusader is a Mark 2, the other one is a Mark 3 though:

ImageImage

Hope these might be of some use.
Steve
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers, Steve, there's no beating period shots when it comes to sussing how crews fitted stowage and what have you to their vehicles. The top photo of the Mark II is the one I mentioned above and certainly the pic must have influenced the Airfix designers!

IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Nice Crusader tank, this was my first tank build in years that i recently did.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks, Michael. The Crusader kit is pretty good for its age (it was first released in the 1970's), although some of the detail is perhaps a little "soft" compared to more modern mouldings but there is plenty of scope to add stuff here and there which I very much enjoy doing.

Talking of additions, I've now made up some replacement stowage rails to fit along the side skirts:

I used the kit rails as templates and made up the replacements using Plastruct strip. Stowage wise I have raided an Academy accessories set that I have had for ages and I've clipped off some of the Airfix stowage from the kit rails, some of which I will make use of in due course. The Academy bag and bed roll have additional strapping made from plastic card to give the impression of them having a visible means of support and the folded tarp is made from foil salvaged a few years ago from a sparkling wine bottle. The wine foil is relatively thick and a section of plastic rod was used as a former before being removed and the rest of the shaping was carried out by squeezing between my fingers. The "tarp" was attached with CA and the straps are masking tape. I'm of the opinion that it is easier to fit the stowage to the rails and then the rails to the model rather than the other way round, which I think would prove to be awkward. The stowage will be brush painted after the main paint has been applied to the model.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Like the rails and stowage Shaun; very neatly done and I think you are entirely right to add the stowage to the rails before attaching the rails to the tank!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Good work Shaun ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

Coming along nicely.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “Workbench Window”