Zane's Kitchen Table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Zane's Kitchen Table

Post by Zane »

As a bit of light relief from all these stunning centres of kitmaking excellence, I thought I would show you my kitchen table, which can be transformed from a place of consumption of food and drink to a frenetic hub of filing, glueing and painting in under 5 minutes:

The latest on the Aston DB5. Here is the body with one gloss coat of Humbrol 3 on, half rubbed down.

The completed chassis:

The dashboard:

Always remember, ASSUME makes an ASS of U and ME. The rear body has a tooling line running across right under the number plate light. I thought this was the bootlid shut line. So I scribe it as I have done for all the non existent shut lines on this kit.
No. Reference to a photo of the real car showed the shutline going down to the bumper. :twisted: Of course, I find this out after I'd put the first topcoat on. :twisted: :twisted:

The picture shows the erroneous scribing, and the corrected line.

Old scribe filled with Humbrol model filler, and corrected line deepened.

Now, the other week, I found this on eBay, and got it for seven quid, which I thought was OK. I don't know what made me buy it, but it looked interesting, and will be a cool diversion from cars.

I couln't resist trying the frame, block and tank together. I had a shock when I did. This thing is HUGE!

I can't believe this is 1/16 scale! But it is a lovely kit.
I have the feeling the BMW build will follow the Aston.

More soon.

Zane
"..and though we be on the far side of the World, this ship is home; this ship is England..."
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Zane's Kitchen Table

Post by Softscience »

Hi Zane. Thats always been a favorite of mine. I'm looking forward to seeing it all built up.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Doesn't matter how big a bench you've got as you produce some great models. Look forward to seeing more of the DB5 and the big bike!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Jdubya
Getting well comfy!

Post by Jdubya »

The Aston's looking good. Can't wait to see you work your usual magic on it. Got stalled on mine. Wasn't sure whether to cut out the wonky nearside A-pillar and replace it with styrene or plasticard. Hmmm it could become a Volante I guess......

All the best

James
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Thanks for the encouraging words, chaps.

Major excitement today, as I get a package in the post....

Wanted one of these for sooo long....
All parts present, 114 of them. She's a real beauty.

My stash, as of today (the BMW bike doesn't count, as it's now officially 'on the bench')

James, about your wonky A pillar: I had a similar problem on the last DB5 I built (my first kit on returning to the hobby, 4 years ago), and mine had broken away at the bottom. After I had stuck the glass in, I cemented the A pillar to the glass as well as at the break, making sure it lined up top & bottom, and wasn't sub flush or proud. You could cut one end of the pillar free, twist the roof into shape (this way, if you cut the pillar first, twisting the roof won't cause an unsheduled break), carry on and paint the body colour, fit the glass & cement the A pillar. You can then clean up the pillar join without worrying about messing your top coat, as the pillars and window frames are all silver (chrome) anyway, and can be painted last.

Hope this helps.

Zane
"..and though we be on the far side of the World, this ship is home; this ship is England..."
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Nice illustration of how boxes have unnecessarily grown! Just think how much more stock your LMS could have if their shelves weren't so full of air.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Re: Zane's Kitchen Tabled chassis.

Post by Zane »

Oh, yeah......

Didn't notice that! Good observation, James.

It's absolutely a fair point - the Jag 420 has seven seperate sprues, all very busy, and they all fit nicely in the box with the bodyshell and chassis. On the other hand, the Aston bag of bits (such as it is) fills no more than 50% of its new red 'starter kit' box.

Zane
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Update on the Aston:

Revised shut line done and primer added:
Not the straightest line ever, but several layers of paint should help. I need a scribing template, I think.

The rest of the body has been rubbed down, ready for the second coat:

Made a start on the BMW bike:

Had a good old frottle of the Jag 420 sprues last night. I have the desire to do it in gold metallic, as Airfix originally suggested, but the size of the body may make this a step too far for brushpainting. Before I come to build it, I'll need to practise with brushing gold. Otherwise, this may be my first foray into spraying!!

Zane
TimJ
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TimJ »

Nice work on the Aston and I have to admit to being slightly jealous of your stash.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:4 B:4 C:13

Return to “Workbench Window”