Modelling Tools - Most of What You Might Need

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Modelling Tools - Most of What You Might Need

Post by AndrewR »

Here is MerlinJones' comprehensive list, from the old site: :grin:
MerlinJones wrote:Before you read the following list, be assured that you do not need to rush out and buy everything on the list. As I've said, this is what I have in front of me at the moment. I've been modelling for some time now, and have collected stuff over a period of years.
Plus, a lot of what's on the list can be found at really low prices, in shops that have naff all to do with modelling.

Currently, in my model box in front of me, I have;

A good, sharp knife. …I prefer a standard “Draper” knife…similar to a Stanley knife, that holds spare blades in the handle and is very sharp. When the blade gets dull, you slide it out and snap off the blunt bit. I’ve also used a craft knife that was able to take a variety of different blades. However, I only really ever used the normal cutting blade.

Tweezers…Slant-edged...check out the make-up section of your local chemist and supermarket.

Cocktail sticks…As already mentioned, but I have a few with points and a few with the point "mushed"...these are better for applying superglue, "zip kicker" and other stuff.

Emery boards for nails. useful for sanding jobs.

Various grades of sandpaper/grit paper.

A lint-free polishing cloth.

Selection of needle files. …I have one that is round in cross-section, a flat one and one that is triangular in cross-section.

Brushes…A good selection of quality watercolour brushes, or relatively expensive modellers brushes.

Flat metal file for nails...You know the type...the sort with a little hooky bit at the end. This is ideal for opening tins of enamels and the hooky bit is great for cleaning the upper rim of your paint pots.

Very sharp, pointy scissors...Especially good for trimming decals.

Plastic chopping board.

Old brush handles…For stirring. You could use pieces of sprue.

Biro pen lid…Ideal for smoothing down masking tape in awkward nooks and crannies.

Small sponge applicators
...You can get these in packs, on their own or with make-up brushes. The brushes can be used for applying pastel dust for weathering and such like. The sponges can be used for applying a mottled-effect camouflage.

Razor saw. …This is like a small tenon saw and is again, very sharp. Useful for making larger cuts.

Scribing tool.

Plastic syringes…Without the needles! Courtesy of my local Practice Nurse. Second hand and thoroughly cleaned out of the oily drugs they once contained, these are useful for adding measured drops of paints of thinners to paint.

Pin Vice…A little gizmo that will hold, by way of a hand tightenable (!) screw, all manner of small and tiny drill bits.

Tiny drill bits.

Putty knives…For smoothing and manipulating model putty.

Compass Cutter…A device that lets you cut small circles.

Steel rule. Quite essential for cutting masking tape and plasticard. A wooden or plastic one will get cut by your knife.

Cuticle Pusher…for applying and smoothing out fillers.

Clothes pegs...Wooden if you can get them...ideal for holding things together.

Rubber bands…For the same purpose. You can also use those wide rubber bands to mask stripes around fuselages and wings and stuff.

A bottle of Johnson’s "Klear”...’Nuff said.

A needle with a super-glued bead on the end of it...For sticking holes in things...the bead protects your pressing finger. A drawing Pin works just as well!

My trusty old toothbrush...used for removing paint from Mr.Muscle'd kit parts.

Various containers...a large, lidded box to put my stuff in whenever I need a dust-free environment. For example, when I've applied a gloss coat, or a coat of "Klear" to some transparencies.
Empty film canisters...useful for keeping small bits/greeblies for the Spares box, completed ordnance, crew, smaller pieces that have parted company from the sprue...etc., etc…

Blu-Tak…for holding small parts, propping up pieces, masking and for keeping rigging threads under control. Also for providing something for bay doors to sit on, when closed, prior to being superglued into place.

A big box to put it all in.

And another good tip from Beaufighter...
Beaufighter wrote:Those wooden stirring sticks you get in Starbucks are handy for stirring paint tinlets.

Lengths of elastic, or big rubber bands, are handy for marking and masking waterlines on ships.
And from Commodore Rob:
Commodore Rob wrote:I use a scapel as a knife; far more versatile I find...

I also use acrylic paints which means I can do without a tinopener and also syringes, as my paints come with droppers :)
And from Zero:
Zero wrote:One more think in my box, not metioned in Merlin very detailed and extensive list is:

STIFF DYNAMO TAPE (not the paper type)

fantastic for adding panel lines. sticks to the model in place, and then using a tool or even a knife you can re-add panel lines in the right place with ease. belive me this stuff is worth it wait in Gold when you have removed the lines and need to re-add them

And one item worth buying, and worth the £10 it will cost you. (shop around you can find them less than a tenner in the UK!)

Additional Luxury item

Badger paint mixer

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bad/bad121.htm;

I've had mine for two years now, and it too is worth every penny paid for it. I use it all the time, perfectly mixed paint in seconds over minutes by hand.

Also if you user Acrylic paints you also with benefit from having this to hand

Acrylic Flow Enhancer (any brand) I use Daler-Rowney's

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID ... D~8653.htm;

Three or four drops in your Acrylic paint, and then mix well, this will make any Acrylic paint more workable, and stop it drying in your Airbrush, or make Acrylic paints more useable with a paint brush.

Dave

And finally, from me:

Don't forget that Johnson's Klear is also known as Future in some places, and may now be repackaged as "Pledge Multisurface Wax, with Future."!

It depends where in the world you are... :)
uavdb
Active Participant

Re: Modelling Tools - Most of What You Might Need

Post by uavdb »

I use round toothpicks to apply super glue and aliphatic resin (Elmers white glue) and after getting the glue on the toothpick. I put the glue on a smooth surface, like the lid of a paint bottle, and twist the toothpick about a quarter inch up the pick. I've found that rolling it in between my fingers while applying, keeping the pick almost level with the part keeps the glue from being too thick in spots and gives a more uniform application.
When I'm done I let the glue dry and use my sanding block to get the excess glue off so it can be used several times.
uavdb (Dave)
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IronMan129 »

The metal tops off glass bottles are handy to have to hold small amounts of glue.
Iv found that way alot easier to control how much glue goes onto the model.
grahameo
Getting well comfy!

Post by grahameo »

I have found this little gadget a very handy tool indeed.

A cordless vacum, a great carpet monster beater, if I cannot find the part in the cavity, it will usually be lodged in the filter.

Got it very cheap of Amazon (other selling sites are available).

Happy Modelling

Graham
Its not stash, its a start of my private modelling Museum.
Completed 2020 = 4 On The Go = 4
Avro 748
Tucano
Viscount
Gannet
rmontesb
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rmontesb »

In my opinion, sprue cutters are important tools for the modeller. I use them a lot for separating parts from trees and the resulting clean cuts are always very welcomed. :)

I believe that tools for holding parts (also referred to as third or free hand stands) should also form part of a modeller´s inventory. These type of tools are very useful for gluing parts together and also, for paintig hard to reach areas. 8-)
utumno
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by utumno »

Apologies if this is not the right place for this question or if it already has an answer elsewhere on the forum, but...

Having got back into the hobby this year, I am starting to amass a fair amount of spares (some after-market, photoetch, resin, etc) and I am wondering how to organise them. What do you guys use?

Do you have those multi-drawer organisers (labelled)?
Do you sort by Scale, Nation/faction, Land/Sea/Air? (or just in polybags in a large box like me...)
Do you keep plastic separate from Decals, Resin, Photoetch, etc?

Thanks in advance
iggie

Post by iggie »

utumno wrote: September 24th, 2021, 9:48 am Apologies if this is not the right place for this question or if it already has an answer elsewhere on the forum, but...

Having got back into the hobby this year, I am starting to amass a fair amount of spares (some after-market, photoetch, resin, etc) and I am wondering how to organise them. What do you guys use?

Do you have those multi-drawer organisers (labelled)?
Do you sort by Scale, Nation/faction, Land/Sea/Air? (or just in polybags in a large box like me...)
Do you keep plastic separate from Decals, Resin, Photoetch, etc?

Thanks in advance
A big plastic tub, all in together, no segregation whatsoever.... Hours of fun finding things you thought you had that way! :grin: :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
utumno

Post by utumno »

Sounds similar to my current system....
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

This is the space above my modelling desk:

I have four multi-drawer units, the sort of thing used by hobby woodworkers or hobby mechanics for storing various nuts and bolts, etc. The large central one is for part-started projects (AKA The Multi-Drawer Unit of Doom). The other units have 50 years of accumulated spares, organized by type - 1/72 seats, 1/48 bombs, clear parts, etc, etc. It's a bit haphazard, but it just keep growing and evolving....

My decals are organized by nationality in ziploc bags, with whole sheets in a ring binder.

To the left of my desk (out of shot) is my tool chest, which is a multi-drawer wooden chest.

Yes, that's a real (and working!) aircraft 8-day clock on top of the central unit, as well as a Boeing folding travel clock.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
utumno

Post by utumno »

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of - small drawers with spares organised by scale and type - thanks
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Several big tubs - one for WW1 & Interwar, one for WW2 (& beyond), one for ships, one for armor. Each organized (sub-divided) by scale.

I do have a spreadsheet inventory so I have a good idea of what is in there, but as someone said, "half the fun is pawing through them to remind me".
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
utumno

Post by utumno »

Mine all fit into the FW190 Jabo box at present but, will need to sort and organise. I'm mainly thinking for use with dioramas.
chrism

Post by chrism »

For me - I save plastic pots that once had ice cream in them - and have one with tank bits, another little men from kits, another plane bits, then as my primary interest is ships and boats - I have a few of them for different categories of ship related items - but typically one for 1/600-1/700 scale parts, and others for tall ships - wooden, plastic etc etc.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
utumno

Post by utumno »

Sounds like you're onto it.

I am a bit hampered by space at present (10' x 10' room serving as office, bedroom and kit building area), so was thinking of one of those small 20+ drawer organisers - I might just have to go through my spares and separate them out in some sort of order (Era, allegiance, scale, theatre, part type...) and then work out how many compartments I need...
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I don't actually have many 'spares' as I sold them and the majority of my decal collection off a few years ago. I do however keep all the unused parts from a kit, along with left over decals and whatnot. Like Jim I just have a large box I put them all in, along with the few AM decals sheets I have - it's actually an Airfix 1/48 Tornado box.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Construction Tips”