James' "Shed"

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: James' "Shed"

Post by ShaunW »

JamesPerrin wrote:I didn't realise blocking the masking tape was such a radical idea
Most of us put the paint on before the decals James :ha:

Looking good I must say.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by 59North »

I'm liking the paint on your model very much. Really well done!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've spent a couple of my modelling sessions pouring over the few photos of Centauras engined Firebrands that appear to be available in an effort to work out the lettering style used on the underside of the wings. The problem is I'm modelling a 1947 scheme so basically it's still WWII, but the Firebrand soon appeared in Pattern 1 (low on the fuselage delineation between EDSG and Sky) and Pattern 2 (high delineation) it means the majority of the photos show Post War lettering. The trouble was caused by photos showing the K in EK632 seeming to be in the Post War font - probably just a variation, but I needed to check what the numbers looked like, the squarer WWI style or the rounded Post-War style. The Aircraft in detail used Post War font in the plan views and had the code on one wing back to front so I wasn't trusting it. In the end I found a photo that showed a parked Firebrand with a bit of number visible on the undercarriage door - WWII. I could then print these up.

As to the white letters and numerals on the fuselage, the small 4" white codes and titles came from a ModelArt Gen005 sheet. The larger C from a Hannants sheet of WWII letters, but no one did the larger chunky 100 numerals in the correct size in white. I tried cutting templates but this was a fail and so I printed the outlines faintly onto white decal paper and cut them out. The ink was unsealed so washed off. Despite doing a few extras and taking my time it's impossible to do a neat and consistent job at this scale, therefore what you see below are not only the best side but have been touched up with some white paint.

Guns and spinner were added, and then a I drilled out a hole for an acrylic rod, like the rest of the build done after everything it should have been done before.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Excellent work on the numbering and markings! I think it all is looking great.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

James, fantastic job on the markings but, and I know you mention plans showing this and so I hate to be the one to ask, surely the letters 'EK' are upside-down on the port wing?

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

dwomby wrote:James, fantastic job on the markings but, and I know you mention plans showing this and so I hate to be the one to ask, surely the letters 'EK' are upside-down on the port wing?

David

ARRGGGGGHHHHHHH! :boom:

The effort put into the preparation is proportional to the stupidity put into the implementation.

Thankfully I always print a spare set of markings. Getting them off will be fun as they were Klear'd on.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The "old sellotape" trick tape worked once I'd found the spare decal at the bottom of the bin everything is right with the world again.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Sounds like a great recovery!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

JamesPerrin wrote:The "old sellotape" trick tape worked once I'd found the spare decal at the bottom of the bin everything is right with the world again.

Glad to hear it. It's a bit surprising how easy it is to get decals off that way even after they've had a top coat, isn't it?

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

No top coat yet, but they had been put on a bed of Klear. What actually happened was the tape lifted the varnish I had applied to the decals before applying to seal the water based printer ink, and the ink itself and left the carrier film on the kit, but this peeled off easily.

Frankly I think the concept that somehow a coat of varnish will weld decals on is plain wrong, as it will have no effect on the how the decal adheres to the surface underneath it. At best it will seal the edges and stop them lifting from there. It's the same issue as applying superglue to painted parts, the join is only as strong as the paint's adherence.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great recovery James. Looking forward to the finish.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Here's a peek of the base that I knocked up this afternoon. The shape is copied from something I think I saw somewhere on the interweb. The wood is from an oak banisters left over from when we had the stairs done. It was rough sawn off and then sanded smooth on an inverted belt sander. A bit of oil brought up a treat and I'm liking the lack of heavy varnish. Some acrylic rod as been epoxied in the hole I drilled in the plane.

The Firebrand has had an oil pin wash applied to the panelines around the forward fuselage, looking at photos you could clearly see that grime from the engine accumulated in these areas and not elsewhere. A darker wash was added to the control surface hinge lines. The rod will make handy hold for when it gets a satin varnish before final weathering.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Excellent. I love planes on sticks. Seriously, I do mine 'in flight' and am always scrounging for stands and ideas for homemade stands.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work James - both with the model and its stand - I'm pretty much hopeless with wood, which is down to a lack of practice I suppose, but no-one on here with any sense would ever want me to come round to plane their doors!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's really nice James - both the model and the base look superb.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Workbench Window”