Dazzled's Base Camp-Flying Tiger

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Base Camp-Flying Tiger

Post by Dazzled »

I said I would, after the Pearl Harbour GB, and I did. I got myself another Airfix P-40, this time the American Volunteer Group Hawk 81. This time I can build it pilotless and on the deck. I'll probably look at adding some rigging to it as I felt bad about leaving it off the GB model.

To start with, this is where the action takes place, a styrene torturer's den.

You may be able to make out, in front of the kit box on the bench, my new reading specs. All of a sudden I can see details again :-D

And this is my next victim.

Being already familiar with the kit, work progressed apace. The cockpit walls were painted, this time with a base of Tamiya XF-51 (khaki drab) which seems a much closer match to my references. It's certainly closer than the wierd shade suggested by the kit instructions. The walls had some details picked out in black and silver and then a wash of Tamiya XF-59 (desert yellow) was applied. The rest of the cockpit assembly was treated the same way, the instrument decal added and it was put aside to dry for a while.

Given the lack of pilot I thought the cockpit would be improved by the addition of some seatbelts so these were made from wine-bottle foil (I'll have to empty some more bottles before I run out :roll: ). These got a coat of Vallejo leather brown with small areas left unpainted revealing their natural metal finish.

Here's a couple of pictures of the finished cockpit insert. I'm pretty happy with the belts and, on the whole, Airfix have produced a nice cockpit for the scale.

With everything dry (ish), it was time to close up the fuselage and add the wings. This all happened pretty easily, although the kit does have a couple of fit issues around the wings (see picture) these weren't unexpected and I know they aren't difficult to correct.

All in all it's a nice relief from fiddling with the Seahawk lurking at the back of the bench.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Re: Dazzled's Base Camp-Flying Tiger

Post by Dazzled »

All the filling and sanding is now done and the model has a coat of Metalcote matt aluminium. This was just going to be over the filled areas but I got carried away. ;-)

Actually, it's more to do with producing paint chips later on :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

In between bouts of swearing at my Seahawk I've been doing a bit of tension relieving work on the Flying tiger . It's gained three coats of Humbrol 28 on the underside and it's appropriate extraneous bits (rad flaps, u/c leg covers etc) and is starting to look the part. I've also made some progress with the prop and spinner and painted the u/c legs with the view to adding thin wire brake lines to them.

Ready to paint the upper surfaces now.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

You're making quick work of the P-40. Too bad you didn't save it for the up coming GB. I look forward to seeing more progress.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:You're making quick work of the P-40. Too bad you didn't save it for the up coming GB. I look forward to seeing more progress.
It may have been an idea but I'm not short of other toothy options. I'm a little undecided about the shark mouth GB at the moment. I've got a shark mouth Saab J-21A for the twin boom GB and I really want to participate in the 4 or more GB with a 1/72nd Airfix B-29, redecalled to a RAF Boeing Washington 1 with an added etched cockpit. I know this will take a little time so my participation in the shark mouth GB will depend on how quickly I progress with the Saab.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A quick up date as the last couple of days have been a bit busy.

First the FT got three coats of Humbrol 119.

I've also decided to have the canopy open so I've filled it with Blu-Tac to stabilise it while I attack it with razor saw and scalpel. The canopy separated with little fuss and a clean up with a flat file had it ready to use, as shown below.

Then I got on with the camoflage using Humbrol 116. Two coats so far but it's covering very well. Just a little touching up and balancing out of brush marks and It'll be ready for the decals. Perhaps though, I should have used my airbrush to paint this one.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

My modelling activities have been a bit piecemeal over the last few days but I have made a little progress here and there.

Apart from a few little touch-ins, painting is pretty much done. I sprayed on a coat of Klear and, after it had dried overnight I made a start on the decals.

The upper wing decs went on nicely, as expected, but the red fuselage band was a real pig. In the end I cut it in two and used Microsol to get it into position. Even then it took a while to fiddle it into place. I'm inclined to leave it for a while to set up fully before I do any more. The prop decals also went on with no probs and that is now ready to receive it's yellow tips. I've got one or two little thing to get on with while I wait for everything to dry, most notably the undercarriage and canopy painting, but this kit is definitely moving into the home straight. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

Seems a good kit, Dazzled.
Salute e Latinum per tutti !
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It is a very nice kit, and the second one I've built.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Very nice - I´m tempted! I don´t even bother trying to use fuselage band decals I find it better to spray them. Even if you get them round the body in one piece you get a join line.
running at the edge of their world
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Hooray, I've finally managed to find a bit of modelling time! On the downside it's only because I have flu and can't go out and do anything else at the moment.

I've decided to leave off the GBs until the Falklands one in May/June so that I can concentrate on getting the backlog of unfinished models off the bench. I did a little more work on my Saab but really couldn't resist getting back to this kit.

I've done quite a bit to it. The decals are all on for one thing and there are a lot of decals for such a small model. Airfix have included an extensive array of stencilling with this model. Of course, I could have left a lot of them off but I feel kind of guilty if I do that.

I've also touched up some of the paintwork and added in some extra painted details. The u/c legs have gained thin wire brake lines too.

This is where it is at the moment.

One issue I did have was the pitot tube that, helpfully, snapped when I tried to remove it from the sprue so a piece of steel rod was substituted (even I can't snap that) with the end shaped over with a file.

A little Squadron white putty filled the gaps around the base of the pitot tube, something to carefully sand down later today.

The next part of the plan is to paint the pitot tube and , after giving the model overnight to dry, applying a coat of Klear ready for a bout of weathering.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Why wait until tomorrow. :)

A good bout of weathering and paint chips were followed by a coat of Klear.

Then all the extraneous leftovers were added.

Finally, some nav lights and aerial rigging went on plus the canopy and...

I'm calling this one finished. The first of 2012 :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Looking good - you really are making me want one!
running at the edge of their world
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

I think have a flying tiger in my stash. Yours look good, good job. looking for to do one...
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow! That was quick work on the P-40!
Looking grand!

David

Return to “Workbench Window”