Shaun's Bodging Bench * replaced for 2018*

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shaun's Bodging Bench

Post by skypirate »

Did you carve out the auxiliary intake doors Shaun?
Looking good!

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

You've obviously a domestic dab hand with a duster ... Cos I can't spot any dust on this one now that it has come back off the shelf
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

skypirate wrote:Did you carve out the auxiliary intake doors Shaun?
Looking good!

David
Cheers, David. I cut them out and made replacement (open) doors from plastic card - I printed off an article from the Harrier SIG which proved invaluable in the quest to add extra detail to this kit as OOB it is quite basic.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

chrism wrote:You've obviously a domestic dab hand with a duster ... Cos I can't spot any dust on this one now that it has come back off the shelf
I have received a long and thorough training in domestic skills, Chris :ha:

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Bloody cobblers to it! the decals in my Sea Harrier are rubbish. I wasn't 100% sure about the kit decals on the sheet - they "feature" a white backing of decal film that I hoped would turn clear on contact with water and look OK on the model. Oh dear. The first roundel that I tried ended up with a non too neat white border to it. I duly trimmed off the whiteness and tried again, whereupon the decal decided to break up. I stubbornly tried a second roundel, this time trimming the excess film off close to the decal before soaking in water. The roundel broke up. I gave up at that point and now, unfortunately, as I was getting back into it, the SHar is back on the Shelf of Shame until I can source some replacement decals. My boxing of the kit is from the late 80's/early 90's which I believe were not a good time for quality decals in the Airfix stable! :evil:

OK, let's steady the ship! I wanted to finish the year with a nice build and the Sea Harrier would have fitted the bill but as that isn't an option right now let's open a new box of plastic.

In my experience Tamiya can usually be counted on to give building pleasure so, ladeez and gennerlmen, I give you this as my end of year build:

Yes, a Messerschmitt 109, don't see many of these built on the forum ( :ha: ) and you can blame Ralph Softscience for this one as it is his ongoing 109 build that inspired me :ha: Although I have a 1/72nd option in the stash (Heller '109K but the decals look pants in that as well!!) I haven't built a quarter scale '109 for years so I thought I'd make amends. This is a nice kit of the aircraft that has been around for a few years now and I picked up this example in the Kitswap at SMW last month for the sum of £9.00, which I thought was a good price.

The parts are crisply moulded and nicely detailed with no flash that I can detect:

As standard the kit provides separate leading edge slats and also the main flaps, which can be posed in the down position and there is also a nice drop tank. A reasonable looking pilot figure is provided but I never fit them so he will head straight into the spares box - might come in handy for someone on the forum! The sharp eyed might have noticed one of the tailplanes is missing - worry ye not, it fell off the sprue whilst I was taking the pic and is now safely in the box.

The decals are typical Tamiya - slightly thick but good looking colour density and register and I've yet to have a problem with their decals, please don't let this be the first (see above for decal issues :ha: )

Three options are provided, two European schemes, 7/JG26 (featured in the box art), the well known JG2 machine flown by Maj Helmut Wick and the third option is a tropical scheme for 2/JG27 in North Africa and that is what I intend to aim for. The scheme is a little challenging as it involves considerable mottling:

That'll be good for upping my airbrushing skills I imagine - I'm trying not to picture the hassles with overspray and I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :ha:

I'll make a start shortly.
Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Bad luck with the decals Shaun :evil: Whose kit is the Harrier? Airfix?
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

Good to see you building and not stashing these kits. I have a really small stash now and plan anf buy each year with the safe sure vow to myself of building it

I will get my decal box out later .... who knows what lies therein. There are some harrier items - no idea from memory what though
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for the interest folks.

The Sea Harrier in question is the 1/48th Airfix kit. I'll start having a look for some replacement decs over the hols but if any of you do have some suitable spares from aftermarket sets or other kit manufacturer's ranges, particularly for a SHar in the Falklands campaign, then they would be gratefully received!

IPMS#12300
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Can't say I've ever heard of Airfix decals breaking up before (more like a Novo issue), but the register problem was well publicised before Hornby moved the process to Cartograf :-|
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Sorry to hear about the decal woes Shaun - The SHAR was looking great.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
chrism

Post by chrism »

I could have found you something in 1/72 ...the full monty and a set stencils ...
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Glad I've inspired you to take on this subject :) That's a lovely kit, and I think painting the mottle should be pretty fun in 1/48. The African 109s have always been my favorites. Good luck! :)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

chrism wrote:I could have found you something in 1/72 ...the full monty and a set stencils ...
Thanks for looking, Chris. Hopefully the aftermarket manufacturers will have something suitable.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Softscience wrote:Glad I've inspired you to take on this subject :) That's a lovely kit, and I think painting the mottle should be pretty fun in 1/48. The African 109s have always been my favorites. Good luck! :)
Thanks, Ralph. That's the way I find inspiration sometimes, other times I'll see a documentary, film or a photo in a book - that's all it takes if I have a space on the workbench that needs filling with plastic :grin:

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Not good news about the SHAR decals! I hope you'll be able to find some replacements and get it over the line!
The 109 looks to be a nice kit
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”