Shaun's Bodging Bench * replaced for 2018*

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shaun's Bodging Bench

Post by Asoka »

Not laughing at all, Sir! :grin:

Good job on the Apache! 8-)

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

Very convincing effort. Not to be laughed at at all.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank you all for for your interest and kind comments. Thus far I'm keeping the faith and have put another coat on tonight and we'll see how it goes. I won't bore you with a pic at the moment as it looks similar to how it did last night, only a bit more olive drab :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Asoka wrote:Yes, The Revell guys must be nuts to give a decal with the lozenge outlines, and not the colours! :evil:
I was thinking about trying some form of felt tip pen or something on the decal, and failing that, find a decal sheet! Not a biplaner myself either, just picked this off evilbay for cheap... :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
I used the MPD Miniprint ones from Hannants on mine Asoka, and they turned out alright.

As the underside is hardly visible, you can easily get away with painting it a neutral colour and avoid any hassle at all. :)

Now when Shaun has come round after fainting following that last suggestion :ha: , how is the OD looking? Does it look almost black, as the real things can do under some lighting conditions. That colour is very tricky to pin down!
I gave up and used Vallejo US Olive drab.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Aaaaargh!!! not putting lozenge on the underside of a Fokker DVII - utter heresy. Burn the unbeliever.

Only kidding. Andrew's suggestion is perfectly acceptable Asoka but I'm not brave enough to adopt such a refreshing cavalier approach and therefore condemn myself to spending enormous amounts of time fiddling about trying to achieve "reasonable" accuracy. I found the lozenge quite a challenge and although I got there in the end there was a fair amount of bodging necessary to do so :grin:

My Apache is in good old Humbrol HU 155, which thus far has dried a rather patchy looking greeny brown sort of colour. Looks fine under my olde worlde desk lamp bulbs at a distance of ten paces whilst wearing shades :grin:

IPMS#12300
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

I've got that Revell DVII kit buuilt to the stage where I have to think about lozenges.. and I keep getting out that bizarre decal sheet, staring at it for a while, and then putting the kit away again, muttering something along the lines of "But it's on the UNDERSIDE!"
Neutral colours coming up, methinks. I'm not inclined to splash out for PM decals for a kit that cost £3.50: I'll save that for a Roden
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

A word or two about Apache paint. The Helo Drab color is quite grainy and picks up "lint" from all around. During Desert Storm a reporter was doing a piece on an Apache unit with the 101stAB. They had just gotten in from a night mission and the beasts all looked desert tan in color. I made an inquiry about it and whether or not any were painted tan on another site and a guy who builds them in Arizona states that it is dust that sticks to the paint and will eventually get hosed down at maintenence time.

Well, that gives the modeler a lot of leeway in shades of green. The only markings I could see was on the forward sponson, a white stencil of the Screaming Eagle.

Just thought I would share.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Mike - I'm looking forward to seeing your Fokker and to see if Andrew's neutral shades idea will work. I think it will after looking at my 7 again tonight, the undersides of the wings and fuselage are really not all that visible. Of course, the Revell boxing also provides an all-white option, representing the machine flown by Goering - no need for lozenge there!

Jeff - thanks for the info, the way my paint is drying it certainly is nice to know that there's plenty of leeway :grin:

Well, here's some further pics. Oh dear, I'm not convinced by my brush painting or maybe it's because I've become used to seeing paint finishes on my models that don't "feature" brush marks. I'm beginning to look very wistfully at my Badger, which is waiting patiently, confident in the knowledge that I'm going to get my compressor fixed before this build is out!

I've had the grainy OD effect previously and usually clear coat smooths it out. I'll put some on tomorrow as an experiment, maybe under the tail plane out of sight to see what happens. I'll press on to the end of the week with the brush painting effort, just for the hell of it. I'll rub the model over with micromesh again and will keep calm and carry on.

As far as I'm concerned the moral of the tail here is that brushes are fine in the hands of Rembrandt but perhaps not so in the hands of Walker :grin:

Thanks for your interest.

IPMS#12300
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Of course, the Revell boxing also provides an all-white option, representing the machine flown by Goering - no need for lozenge there!
The Revell boxing no longer does so.. it's Berthold's plane or nowt. Not that I'd have built Goering's plane anyway.. some things are best left alone...
As far as I'm concerned the moral of the tail here is that brushes are fine in the hands of Rembrandt but perhaps not so in the hands of Walker :grin:
Rembrandt? Is that what we're calling MJ now? :ha:
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Well Shaun, the paint job looks fine on my IPod screen, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Nelsonian eye and all that... :)

You wouldn't be comparing Rembrandt with Murray Walker now? :ha:
mightymikeD wrote:I've got that Revell DVII kit buuilt to the stage where I have to think about lozenges.. and I keep getting out that bizarre decal sheet, staring at it for a while, and then putting the kit away again, muttering something along the lines of "But it's on the UNDERSIDE!"
Neutral colours coming up, methinks. I'm not inclined to splash out for PM decals for a kit that cost £3.50: I'll save that for a Roden
I've got plenty of the lozenge decal sheet left Mike, if you want some, send me a PM. That goes for you too, Asoka

Cheers

Andrew
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Mike - my Revell Fokker was bought a number of years ago and I didn't realise they'd since economised even further with it. When I bought the same kit back in the late 70's it came with several options, including those of Berthold and Goering. I also tend not to build Waffen SS subjects for the same reason that you're not keen to build old Herman's Fokker.

Andrew - I'll put my Nelsonian eye patch back on especially for this evening's efforts and I'm sure the paint job will improve beyond my wildest dreams :ha: The Walker referred to is not, of course, the famous Murray but the much less famous me :grin:

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Tonight I have applied a clear gloss coat and this has had the effect that I was hoping for. The varnish has balanced out the rather patchy Olive Drab finish to give a more uniform finish that I'm much happier with. In addition the varnish should also protect against finger marks, which OD is also bad for showing very easily in my experience. I think I'll apply two clear gloss coats before considering the decals.

So far so good then and I'm not looking longingly at my Badger airbrush quite as much as I was last night! I'll get on and paint the engine pods and then clear coat them also.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Mike - my Revell Fokker was bought a number of years ago and I didn't realise they'd since economised even further with it. When I bought the same kit back in the late 70's it came with several options, including those of Berthold and Goering. I also tend not to build Waffen SS subjects for the same reason that you're not keen to build old Herman's Fokker.

Andrew - I'll put my Nelsonian eye patch back on especially for this evening's efforts and I'm sure the paint job will improve beyond my wildest dreams :ha: The Walker referred to is not, of course, the famous Murray but the much less famous me :grin:
Nice and shiny ! :grin:

No and I wouldn't build Goering's plane either, in fact I don't build things with Swastikas on as a general rule. Any WW2 German planes have other nation's marking on them. My version of theRevell kit (bought last year) had Berthold's and Goering's markings only.

cheers

Andrew
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

AndrewR wrote:
Thanks - I hope I can get it matt again at the appropriate time though, quite often my matt varnishes seem to dry semi-matt or gloss :grin:

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:
AndrewR wrote:
Thanks - I hope I can get it matt again at the appropriate time though, quite often my matt varnishes seem to dry semi-matt or gloss :grin:
I find the Vallejo Air Matt Varnish is vary good - it gets the matt back even when the surface is completely glossy with Pledge/Future/Klear, sometimes in one coat, always in two. The secret seems to be to give it a very good shake in the bottle before putting it in the airbrush.

cheers

Andrew

Return to “Workbench Window”