Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Simon's Space

Post by ShaunW »

Great stuff, I'm glad that went well for you Simon - I think there's little doubt single-piece end plate has resulted in a more satisfactory appearance than would have been the case with two pieces.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

It does look a lot better than the alternative AND was easier to do...

Will dress all the edges with woodworking PVA (doesn't distort the card like normal PVA) today and hopefully they will be cured enough to sand tonight after work...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The Turret is coming along nicely, are you sticking with card for the barrels or going down the plastic tube route?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'll start with the card ones and see how they go; already have some plastic and aluminium tube ready for Plan B...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Applied the first layer of sandable primer to seal up the card and laid in some plastic putty along the seams...no pix but it's all just grey at the moment...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to hear this project is rumbling along and I look forward to seeing some more pics of your work - this is something a bit different and has piqued my interest!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

In theory, you could get any 1/200 paper ship model and upsize the turret for a similar build...there are also some IJN aircraft 1/33 papermodels that come with catapults, and GPM has released a 1/33 German hangar...
https://sklep.gpm.pl/modele-kartonowe/s ... ty-laserem;

Go on...you know you want to... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Actually got stalled coz I couldn't find a suitable 'spongey' surafce to role the barrels on, then RL kicked in again, and I ended up the de facto lead in a national campaign to get the Government's rescue helicopter plans reviewed...

Going to Scale Model Expo in Wellington was great...not only was I able to immerse in modelling for a weekend, I also had an unexpected catch up with my sister who was also in the capital for the weekend...I scored a handful of relatively recent modelling magazines from the freebie pile at the Expo and reading those over the last few weeks has ignited the mojo spark a little...

I spent most of yesterday reorganising the more accessible part of the my stash into a 'unstarted/not building' yet stack (quite large) and a 'started and still interested in' pile...the plan - no doubt doomed but let's give it a crack - is to slowly chip away at the latter pile til presto! a finished model pops out...that may set a trend in which other finished models start to emerge more frequently...

Decisions made last night, after frantically scurrying through spares box after spares box for the 'original' cockpit, is that the Imai Sky One is going to be 1/48: that puts it all out of proportion with the remainder of SkyDiver which would otherwise have the internal dimensions of a cosy X-Craft, but which is consistent with the in flight models and means it will pose nicely with the Mobile and Interceptors in the same-ish scale...

Couldn’t resist starting this…attempt one fell to bits as the plastic is ABS and rejected the normal Tamiya cement…Extra Thin did the trick though…the parts all fit together exceptionally well, toy-like aspects of the model notwithstanding…I’ve left all the drives etc in the model for ballast if nothing else but have already sealed up the battery compartment to head off any notions of a running model (the tracks drive and the drill rotates when powered)…The drill will take some sanding, hopefully not too much filling to remove the prominent seams down the middle…
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

What is that? The Mole from the new TB Are Go programme?

David
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Yes, indeed, David... I didn't know that any models from the 2015 series had been released till I stumbled over this one. Apparently there is also a 1/72 Shadow as well but I'm a little dark on this as it's not real Thunderbirds...

Motorisation and working features aside, this is really well engineered. Apart from some seam filling on the chassis and the drill, it goes together really well..and is a decent size as well, the Mole proper being around 23cm stem to stern...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Great to see you back
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, Alan, hopefully it will be a little more permanent this time...

Last night I just sifted through what shall be known as the current projects bin and reintroduced myself to the inhabitants. Many have been progressed to the point where they need the first paint applied and this has always been my main bottleneck - the garage is still a bit of a warzone so a supporting effort will be to get that sorted so that I have a sheltered workspace for running an airbrush.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

While handling the Sky One, I dropped one fuselage half on the floor and dislocated all the resin inserts...think the dogs had some new words added to their vocabularies! Won't be hard to fix but just annoying...
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Who makes that Mole then?

Sounds like we are similar. I get through the build and then often stall before I can bring myself to get painting.

David
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

These guys...

You can probably find it cheaper online at someplace like HLJ...was a target of opportunity for me when I saw it in Books and Toys in Wanganui...

Return to “Workbench Window”