Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Space

Post by iggie »

Good to see you back Simon :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Welcome back!
Get stuck in!

David
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A chance visit to the Taupo Hobby Shop - it has a lot of games and puzzles that the girls like - that pushed me back into the abyss...their supplier was pulling out of Dragon and they had a bunch of Dragon armour at giveaway prices...I managed to walk out but couldn't resist when I drove by later in the day...so a bit of retail therapy may have been what I needed...will post up soon in the stash growth thread...

It hasn't all been 'character-building', passed the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care course and basic firefighter course along the way so get to play with big kids toys now as well...got real busy and so now looking to get back into a hobby for relaxation...

It's good to be back...and will be back building soon...just have to decide which resident(s) of the shelf of doom will star first...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Good to hear from your coordinates again.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

jssel wrote:Good to hear from your coordinates again.
+1 from me. I've missed seeing your work, some of which certainly falls into the esoteric/quirky category and is therefore always worth a look IMHO :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Marek

Post by Marek »

welcome back! We need it!
celt

Post by celt »

Look forward to seeing your work.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Very cool paper model test. It is neat how the flat sides give a 3D feel.
Also nice work on the 105. That Hobbycraft kit is quite toughie.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

It's always been one of the things that has fascinated me about paper modelling, the transformation from flat 2D sheets into 3D creation; there are so limitations and different techniques are needed from other forms of modleling but then that's not really much different from modelling in injected plastic, to vacform or resin models.

"A Toughie"? That's putting it mildly..!!! In the 60s it might have been a cutting edge kit but even 20 years ago it had nothing much going for it other than it was the only game in town...even Trumpeter hasn't touched it in 1/48 let alone 1/32...I'll keep chipping away and one day...Voila!! She will be done...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Just testing to see if this image link works...pay me no mind...

iggie

Post by iggie »

image works fine Simon!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Ok, have set up a new blog under Wordpress, mainly for the media library; and using Picasa to resize the images down to 800 pixels wide...have just added a pic post to the stash thread and that seems to have worked OK...hopefully back in business again image-wise...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Today was the day...the first time in just over a year that I stuck some bits together...continuing my build of the GPM 1/33 Fl-282 Kolibri helicopter from last year's Large Scale Planes GB (http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=354&t=14133;)...

Still working on the turret base...not quite perfect joins - things are still a little bit wobbly after a year's break - but there's still a concealing layer to go over the top...

There isn't much internal structure to support the roof or the walls so I have been carrying reinforcing as I go. There is no structure at all for the gun compartment: what I guess is the glacis plate is only a single piece of thin card (maybe 160gsm) to support the roof and the landing pad that will be mounted on top. My next task will be to design and build enough internal support to take the weight and support the walls, which are also - at this point - only thin card...

Once I saw the initial structure of the turret in 3D, I had to up my meds to suppress the AMS urge to build some detail into the rear compartment of the turret, or to buy some 15cm field pieces to loot for gun parts...

Hopefully a little more work tomorrow...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Tonight, I photocopied the turret front and side pieces against a green background, then laminated the pieces onto 1mm card to make reinforcing formers for the turret; I had another look at it and I still don’t think the current design will support the weight of the flight deck let alone the helo…

I'll let this cure overnight and then cut the parts out - that may be a couple of days as our fire training night has shifted to Mondays; and Tuesday night is our monthly business association meeting...that also competes with the Tight-As cheap ribs night as Schnapps Bar up the road...

Wow! Two nights of physical modelling activity in a row..!!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

You're on a roll!

Certainly looks impressive - Looking forward to seeing were it goes.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Workbench Window”