Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

Lots of stuff going on in the last month or so, new job, new rescue dog...haven't had time for much else...

Tonight, I made the effort and trimmed out the reinforcing formers for the turret that I had laminated a few weeks back...these will provide a more solid backing for the paper-thin (literally) sidewalls that are all that are provided in the original kit...

Hope to have these parts fitted into the turret this week...I'm working more nights now so daytime modelling may depend on the weather...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Been busy adjusting to a new job and new hours, mainly in the afternoon and evening which, ironically, mean more me...I just need to adjust to that concept and make the most of it...

This afternoon before heading off to work - as soon as this post is posted - I added the side walls for the 15cm gun compartment...

Still thinking how much of the gun compartment I want to be visible...a twinge of AMS says that I could use the guns from a 1/25 Hummel resized to 1/33...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Slow progress but progress...although quite a large model that will have to bear some weight when complete, it relies primarily on butt joins. I have been reinforcing each join as I go to be sure the whole thing won't collapse into an untidy heap as soon as it is all assembled...on top of this the fit of parts leaves much to be desired (common in even modern paper models where it seems the concept of a test build is somewhat alien) so the fit of each part much be checked as I go...

Last I reinforced the sides of the gun room in anticipation of fitting the glacis former this afternoon - it doesn't fit and will need trimming to fit as it is too high...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A bit of progress at a time and slowly getting there..including a little rearwards progress, regression perhaps. Somehow, I made one of the gun bay sides too small...

...as you may see here with the incorrect part against the correct plate showing the skewed error...this is one of the good things about paper models is that it is easy to make new parts to fix whoopsies like this...

Corrected part back in place...

Adding reinforcing 5mm balsa along all the seams to keep them square and provide much needed internal support...

Mounting the glacis plate...until this time, I never thought there might be some other advantages derived from those strips of balsa....as it turns out they are great for using push pins to hold parts in place until the glue is well-cured...

...and there is a final surface sheet that will cover over these pin holes...
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work Simon.

Nigel
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, Nigel...even though I am only doing a little each day, it feels great to be building on a regular basis again...

Working on simulating the depth of the glacis armour plate…I think it was Jratz who pout me onto this in the original GB thread…from this image, it looks like the 5mm balsa will look about right…I am consistently clamping all the balsa supports now to ensure that they are flush with the card and hold it square…

Looking at the image of the actual turret, it is very clean and free of protrusions…less what appear to be weld seams in front of below what I assume is either a vent or periscope viewer, there are few signs of manufacturing process…

… certainly not the dozens of bolts marked on and provided in the kit…while I was somewhat masochistically looking forward to attaching these parts, I am not crying myself to sleep over their departure from the construction plan…

In a blatant plug, I have left the book I have just finished rereading in the image. Into A Dark Frontier is a great read (http://sjponeill.com/2017/10/06/delivery-the-daily-post), a semi-contemporary African dystopia with no jihadis…it has a personal connection too as I assisted John in a small way with the development of the Kiwi characters…
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm enjoying the turret build so much that I need to keep reminding myself that this, the object of the exercise, is still to come...

…or, more correctly, these as there are two models, an -A and a -B, in the kit…
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Fixed the upper sides of the gun room last night…P71120-001845 …reinforced the joins with 5mm balsa…and added the sidewalls for the rear crew compartment…
I’ll complete the rear compartment for strength, before returning to the interior of the gun room for the barrel mounts and an all-over interior coat of the deepest darkest black to conceal the (lack of) interior)…
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A little every day…not much last night as it’s fire training night and that tends to go longer as the days get longer…

…sanded the balsa to shape to represent the glacis armour. I’ll hit this with spray putty before fine-tuning into shape…

Just getting an idea of what the final product will look like…I’ll add the roof armour from balsa and sand to shape before fixing the roof in place for good and then fine tune after puttying…
iggie

Post by iggie »

great work Simon; if the turret is this good I can't wait to see how well the real subject of the build ends up!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, that turret is shaping up very nicely indeed!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, guys...looking at those last two pix, it's pretty dark inside so I'm reasonably sure now that the deepest darkest black paint over the interior will comfortably mask the lack of any interior detail...I'll keep the cannon barrels in grey so they will be the main thing to catch your eye looking into the turret, especially with the flight deck obstructing clear views into the turret...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I keep thinking "you know he's gonna build the rest of that battleship one day"
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Trust me... it's not like I haven't been tempted...a number of times...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Just to keep up the allure of the dark side...Two new paper models released this week by the prolific Russian designer, Maxim aka MaksArt…
https://yadi.sk/i/RqhB3AJh3PvhGU;

https://yadi.sk/i/kix4l-563PvhaY;

Both are in 1/25 and include some interior detail...Maxim's complete library is available here... https://yadi.sk/d/VN5kAjdPiFpfL;

Just saying, y'know...

Return to “Workbench Window”