Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

The Cylon Raider is also sitting on the table but I am still figuring how the after-market cockpit (from the same source and to the same standard as the Viper one) actually fits as the canopy area on the Raider is not as distinct as that of the Viper...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I had some Tamiya White Putty leftover after filling some seams on the Objekt 279 so expended it on some minor gaps on the Academy Mirage III that I started ages ago. It had been languishing in a corner as it really is a dog of a kit and Academy should be ashamed to be asking money for it - it is like a scale up of an early 70s Airfix/Frog/Matchbox 1/72 aircraft kit complete with spartan and imaginary cockpit detail and gear bays open to the fuselage...
I do like the Mirage though and it will look OK once complete although I will have to take some artistic license with the cockpit and main gear bays...and may have to dream up some imaginary air force for it to belong to...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Now that I am back fulltime working away from home and long hours to boot, I am finding my time for modeling a little squeezed. I'm not able to do much if anything while I am away during the week and my weekends are committed to jobs around the house plus I am a tad knackered. Because most of the daylight phase of my weekends is consumed by other jobs i dont have much time for airbrushing but I want to still progress my current builds as best I can so I may have to just do what I can where I can.

Tonight, I laid out Tillie the Toiler, the Life like 120mm AAA gun and made some progress around the short shot area of the gun platform. I found some aluminium tube that will do to replace the missing bit and hope to fit this tomorrow - pix should be available then too...

I also did some fitting of the resin cockpit for the Hobbycraft CF-105 and some more sanding and grinding is still necessary to get it in at the right height to clear the canopy when it is closed.
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Hoping to see more pics coming out.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

BlohmWolf wrote:Hoping to see more pics coming out.
Don't worry, you will have successfully fitted the replacement part and will take pix as soon as Agents of Shield is over but might not get to post them til tomorrow...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I had an attack of the warm fuzzies last night hence the crappy pix but won't be home til the end of the week to reshoot them...

My replacement part for the gun platform support using a short piece of aluminium tube worked quite well. It is CA'd into place and then filled with Milliput for strength. It should be set when i egt home and I will use coarse sandpaper to flatten off the outside edge for the plate the fits on it...

Mounted these external pylons from the Monogram B-58 to the CF-105...the more I look at it, the more I think that I would like to arm this with 4 x 4 pattern of 1000lbers on double carriers like those carried by early Tornados - inspired by a pic someone posted here a few months ago in response to a query about Tornado load outs - I'm sure that my almost finished Blue Waters will find a home elsewhere...if I can source 16 RAF 1000lbers from somewhere.......

Again apologies for the horrible pix...knew I should have had that gin to steady my hand...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

It's been a long but very wet weekend but I am made quite a bit of progress...my pri 1 project has been to make some serious in roads into digitising the DVD library before the kids scratch any more discs beyond repair and that has gome pretty well - although I have had to set up a fan to keep the CPU cool....

On the modelling front, it has been too wet to paint, mainly because I haven't wanted to go out in the rain to get to the garage but I have made visible progress on the CF-105 (but forgot to take any pix) and have sliced up some MERs from the Hasegawa weapon set for bomb shackles to incorporate into the B-58 pylons fitted in the last update, and have allocated a dozen Mk.117 bonbs from the same set to this project (they look close enough to the standard RAF 1000lber until such point as someone releases a RAF weapon sets) but need to score another 4 for my maximum loadout of 16...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I also made progress on Tillie the Toiler which is starting to show some of that lovely complexity which is why I like to build artillery...these sub-assemblies are just clipped in place at the moment as they will need some paint before being fixed in position...
Have been adding greeble bits to the base of the gun mount...
...and to the main platform...none of it is terribly hard, the most time-consuming aspect being tidying up all the flash on pretty much every part...
...and started polishing the barrel nice and smooth too...it will also need to be painted a nice shade of OD before the breech block and recoil guide arms (which will be in Steel) are added...
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Ernie »

Excellent work on Tillie! I built one many moons ago and still have vivid memories of the flash everywhere. I think there was enough left to mold another kit :lol: :lol: I was so tired of cleaning up parts that I never did finish the towing bogies for it, just mounted the gun on a base. It did however, come out very nice in the end, especially considering where it started with short shot and flash everywhere. A good friend of mine recently gave me the Honest John kit, and I have not dared to open the box yet and peek inside.......
Ernie
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Easily enough flash to mold another kit, Ernie!! While we tend to think of flash being a symptom of old molds, your comments remind me of a comment made on the Scale Modelling Nostalgia forum a week or so ago that Lifelike kits had always suffered from flash due to poor molding processes even when they were new releases? I suppose we could accord them some kudos for maintaining that tradition..! I don't mind the sanding but sometimes identifying parts (or even whether something is a part!) can be a challenge...

I don't remember Lifelike models when I was at school in the early 70s - the most common US players were Lindberg, Monogram, Revell, Johan and Renwal as I recall - and even since I got back into modelling I have only seen Lifelike on Ebay and not locally. They seem to have had an interesting range of kits albeit in the slightly problematic 1/40 scale and I wouldn't mind trying a few more in the future if I can find some affordable (aka cheap) ones...I would love to get my hands on their 'Missile Helicopter" for sure...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Flash...ah...ah...

Lots of sanding and more sanding....

The gunners' seats and their mounts...the quarter circle piece in the upper right of the last pic is the ammunition tray awaiting its guide and rammer arm...
Greeblie bits fitted on the gun platform...

The gun platform stabilisers...more sanding...getting all the flash off the grab handles was a tedious chore...the slightly kinked arm will be coaxed back into shape with some hot water...

This baby is almost ready for a good heavy coat of primer to smooth off the surfaces and reveal even more impurities...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

...turns on the lights...brushes away the dust and cobwebs...

...it's been a pretty intense couple of months since the ski season finally cooked off and between working full time (for now) and having guests in the Lodge, there hasn't been much time for modelling...last weekend, started another model (so much easier than finishing one) just to keep my hand in before I brace myself to redo the wheels on the TSR.2...

I deliberately didn't want to document this build and just do it for fun but it is starting to look a bit like a tank now so I thought I'd share...I've always wanted one of these since they published three views of it in FSM decades ago and in the absence of any molded kits, i found one in paper...it was 1/50 but through the magic of the 'print to A3' button it is now 1/35(ish)...

It goes together quite well and passes the three foot test but the instructions are in Russian and the diagrams aren't very helpful...I have had to reinforce some of the surfaces with card...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Progress albeit slow...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Still playing around with the mighty TOG II...just a little progress tonight: added the driver's mantlet and the panels around the side doors where the sponsons would have gone if fitted...

I'm cutting a few corners here as this is still only meant to be an exploratory build to see what the issues are enlarging a model like this. So far it appears pretty doable but there is clearly a need for substantial interior reinforcement to keep the structure straight and square, and also considerable scope for succumbing to AMS and adding a lot more detail to de-2D-ise the kit - although IMHO it still passes the three foot test...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Wow!! It has been almost three years since I posted in here...only a couple of abortive GB attempts since....totally lost the mojo thingie but hopefully slightly rekindling it now....inspired by Shelf of Doom SB...

It has been what you might call a character-building time in between but I think I'm coming out of that now...and re-engaging with the world...more to follow soon...

Return to “Workbench Window”