Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

Been away for a few days but got so minor bitsnpieces done before I left - still working tonight so the next progress might be tomorrow night...

I'm not sure that you call this piece but it sits between the recoil mechanism that holds the barrel and the mount proper...one of the mounting points (at the 6 o'clock position) is short shot...

Support trails when the gun is on firing position...

Barrel ready for final (hopefully) sanding and the tank that I think supports the recoil hydraulics...

Apologies for the dog hair in the pics...Lulu pushed in for cuddles while I was trying to take pictures...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Am away on the road to do some lecturing the next few days so thought it best to post an update before dropping offline...

I have been slowly chipping away at a number of projects the last few weeks and finally got primer on a few over the weekend...

Still some minor touching up on the Star Fury but expect to start on the cockpit soon...

Forward fuselage seam on the SR-75 looks OK

Wing seams look a whole lot better with the primer on...still some final finishing to do to get a smooth blend...

But it was only when I was taking these pics that I noticed that I had omitted/failed to cover one of the seams... :oops:

The Snark is looking a lot better now that the gopping original red plastic is starting to disappear...

We had some small children visit recently - uh-oh - easily fixed with some CA and accelerator though...

And again here...

I am have to admit that I have just been a teeny bit naughty in extending my current project scope to do some work on the Falcon Canberra - in all fairness it has only come out of the stash bin in the lounge and not from Stash Central - I have finished all the initial sanding from the backing sheets and started on tidying up the Kiwi Resins detail set - this set was the last one from the molds and so needs a bit of work but still looks good and will add immeasurably to the original model.

I was also working on the Falcon F-89 Scorpion but the pics haven't come through - same thing, tidying up the initial sanding and preparing the Black Box cockpit set for assembly and painting - I found a pic of a F-89 that belly-landed in Iceland which will allow me to have a detailed cockpit but not have to worry about the undercarriage - possibly not the canopy either as I seem to have misplaced that... :oops:

Hopefully some more progress at the end of the week...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

You've been busy haven't you?

Good work on all the subjects!
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Cheers, it has been quite enjoyable sitting in front of TV watching a movie (our Freeview is down at the moment so am catching up on movies - to be honest not really missing TV other than Coro and Castle and I catch those online - chipping away at these projects...we made some more space in the garage over the weekend so now actually some some space for perhaps some after dark painting especially as it hopefully starts to get a bit warmer soon...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Oh dear...it's been six weeks, I thought to myself and then I remembered that I had started two separate build threads for Sky 1 and the VP CF-105...thought I was losing it for a moment!

Life has been pretty hectic with real life and school holidays and seeking honest employment and just stuff...tonight was the first time in a couple of weeks that I've actually done any plastic fondling. I correspond with former UAMFer, Brews, and during a chat session a few weeks back in which we traded modeling updates, he offered to have a look at making a scratch undercarriage for the 105 if I could provide pics and measurements of the gear from my 1/48 105.

Tonight, I dug out the big box and dusted off the half-completed 105...note to self, do not distract oneself with another 105...but it was nice to handle the plastic... In the light of day, I'll photograph the gear legs for Brews and get the info away and, regretfully, pack the big 105 away again to start planning gear bays for the VP one...it's hard, this being a focused builder, it really is...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I've been on a bit of a sabbatical the last couple of weeks taking care of real life stuff that occurred while I was in Germany and making the most of the great weather to work in 1/1 scale around the house.

Recently , on one of the Facebook groups that I follow, someone posted a cutaway of the A-9 which showed quite clearly that the engines are set behind the main gear bay, not as far forward as I had placed them.

Some quick and painless surgery pried them loose along with the nacelle bulk heads for re-fixing into the correct position. I will have to do some thing as to how to box in the gear bays without the obstructing the flow of air to the engines...
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Lots of unusual animals! A swim in Snark infested waters, anyone? :-D
Will keep an eye on these... 8-)

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I packed everything away while I was overseas as I always like to have the house looking tidy for burglars - actually I just like coming home to a tidy house...and now that post-trip admin and work is polished off, I am starting to bring everything out into the daylight again so there should be a few more pix of the 'wildlife' over the next few days as I start to work on them again...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

OK, so I've tidied up the inside of the nacelles where the fans were and using the engine that comes with the Monogram A-10, have calculated where it actually should sit. It looks quite cool with the engine sitting there and so I think that I may cut open an access panel so that a glimpse of it may be seen from the outside.
I have added some strip on each side of the openings for the main gear to give the illusion of depth in the gear bay when I line the interior of the intakes. The strips on the sides of the nacelle with remain to support the extensions to the nacelles to cover the gap between the current top of the nacelle and the bottom of the wing...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Sorry that the pic is a bit blurry - tabletcam doesn't do close-ups very well...should also mention that the parts are just sitting there hence appearing slightly hickledepickledy and that cut-out in the grey intake is where I have started to cut away the round A-10 intake to leave just the fan...I was tempted to sand away the back of the fan and remove some of the engine supports to achieve the see-through effect of a modern turbofan engine...
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Good work on the nacelles. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, Prisca...been chipping away at the nacelles and tidying up the engine fans...not much to show but steady progress...tomorrow I hope to wall in the gears bays, pending the results of my experiment to heat shape some sheet into the right shape for the inside of the nacelles...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Have been busy the last couple of weeks on a model lingo related but none building project...have now indexed all my Airfix Magazines and Model Worlds from 1970 until late last year. There's still a lot of gaps but at least I now know which I have or have not got and what articles are in those that I have.
This task was in part inspired by the possibility of the Modeling in the Library theme suggested for Telford 2014 and I wanted to know what conversion articles I had just in case the bug should bite me...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Welcome to my ongoing world of chaos modelling for 2014...much as I would like to do builds in a more coherent manner, I just have more fun doing bits on bobs on models are they leap at me from the stash...

Enjoying a bit of loving at the moment are the Horizon 1/35 Madcat Battletech Mech...
These are meant to be the 'soles' of the feet but are a totally different shape than the base of the foot so I will cut off the treads, and attach them directly to the base of the foot are I have finished filling the foot:
To counterbalance the mass of the mech which sits quite high above the legs, I have filled each leg with cement (concrete shoes, anyone?) and capped that off with some bulk filler...

Also at the larger end of the scifi model scale spectrum is this Monogram 1/32 Colonial Viper from the original tool before someone at Revellogram had a flash of brilliance and tooled in a cockpit...
Quite a few years ago I scored this cockpit and canopy set off eBay...it is pretty basic but was only $6.00 and includes a Colonial Warrior shape with separate arms and 'Egyptian' helmet...
Just joining upper and lower rear fuselage halves...
I think that I will be able to paint this before joining forward and aft fuselage sections and this will reduce the need for masking...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Don't let Dirk see the Viper! He'll be flying over and stealing it!
Personally I love the Vipers and Raiders from the film & original series from when I was young.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “Workbench Window”