Stupots sanctuary

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
PGAS
Active Participant

Re: Stupots sanctuary

Post by PGAS »

You did that soft edge with a brush! That is really impressive. I'd swear it was airbrushed. Very smooth and even. There is no way I could get such a even transition with my brushing! Very nice work. Good to have a stash of painted pilot's for quick use. He is looking fine. :grin:
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

PGAS wrote:You did that soft edge with a brush! That is really impressive. I'd swear it was airbrushed. Very smooth and even. There is no way I could get such a even transition with my brushing! Very nice work. Good to have a stash of painted pilot's for quick use. He is looking fine. :grin:
Thanks, the tail should look good, I’ll post a pic once I’ve finished it. :grin:

I’ve managed to misplace a couple of little clear lights for the F-16 undercarriage. Had them secured on a piece of masking tape – who knows where they are now. Chances are I’ll finish the model and then they’ll turn up stuck to the bottom of something! :frown:

The BF 109 is finished. I was really impressed with the decal sheet. There were a lot of decals to apply to the model and they all went on ok. After sealing them in klear, highlighting the gaps of the control surfaces and brushing on 2 coats of Humbrol Matt cote the model was complete. A nice quick build.

More pictures in the aviation section here…

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13752;

Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Very nice finish to the 109.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice that!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Sir T wrote:Very nice that!
mjatx wrote:Very nice finish to the 109.
Thanks guys, glad you like it. I'm real happy with it. :)

So I finally got around to overlaying the head decal on the F-16 tail. I used some decal-fix again to help get the decals to settle down which worked ok and I just ended up trimming some overhanging excess with a sharp blade.

Meanwhile, taking advantage of the nice weather, I managed to spray some gloss black over the Blackbird. Usually I would use an automotive spray over a large area but this time I used Humbrol acrylic spray. The results were not amazing as I had some uneven coverage on some of the parts, probably my own fault I know but anyway I had to go out and buy a second can to repaint some areas. Still the main fuselage doesn’t look too bad now and that is where most of the decals are to be placed so it shouldn’t matter too much once the model is matt coated.

Stu
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Sneak peak of the F-16 if you like…

Sorry the photo is a bit out of focus but as you can see it now sits on its undercarriage. It took some effort to figure out how it all went together but I'm happy with it now. In my haste however I managed to misplace a couple of small lights that attach to the main legs. They were “secured” on a piece of tape so most likely they will turn up on the bottom of something sooner or later :oops: . For now the model will have to be finished without them.

I also made a little error by painting the main wheels white but I later managed to find a photo showing that they were black on the aircraft in question. Easy to fix but at this late stage I have left them in white.

I have painted the missiles as per the instructions and not blue as per the same photo evidence but this was my choice. I didn’t like the blue ones.

So, it’s not going to be 100% accurate but I can live with those issues. There are still a few more things to do and I’ll put some completed pics in the aviation section when it’s done.

Now back to the Blackbird decals…more later.

Stu :)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Lovely finish on that 109 Stu, that is a classic looking BoB scheme - you can't go far wrong with a yellow nosed Emil IMHO 8-) I didn't realise that the F-16 has such an involved looking u/c oleo arrangement, your efforts look very good to me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Well, scale modelling has been out of the question for about the last 6 months or so due to a house move but now I’m back and new house means a new modelling space…

I’ve just finished getting everything in here and I’m really pleased with it so far. I have one or two pictures to hang up but otherwise it’s just about done. It’s a little smaller than my previous room so the railway has had to go into storage for now.

Display cabinets have been refilled and large models still stored overhead…

The B-1B does require a massive box to transport it in!

Anyway as for modelling the Blackbird I was working on is finished now. Pictures will be coming soon. I've also started a couple of new projects too and I’ll post some more on that later.

It’s good to be modelling again!

Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Looks like a nice space Stu (always nice to have a radiator at your back). Looking forward to seeing the completed SR-71.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks a great place to model; very envious!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Thanks guys, I'm getting used to the room now. Even if I'm not modelling its a nice place to just chill out. :)
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi everyone, my next projects…

Work has started on these and I have some progress pics to post soon but before I forget again here is a link to the F-16 finish…

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 18#p289718;

And the Blackbird…

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15168;

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great stuff. Like you picture of the aluminum overcast.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking forward to the Fury hitting the bench
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Ok, first then the Flanker. I’ve finished the cockpit. I added some extra detail to the seat and panels and made a new HUD to replace the kits simple clear part. I’m happy with it.

The completed cockpit…

…and glued to the top half of the fuselage…

Return to “Workbench Window”