Motleys Madness Again

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Motley
Active Participant

Motleys Madness Again

Post by Motley »

Welcome to my little area, my little area of madness, here is a link to my old workbench:
http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14380

Well recently after building a 1/144 Tornado ive got abit of a bug for them now so got abit of Tornado theme going now, was only a matter of time after i started modeling that this would happen i think, cause i love the Tornado, in my eyes the best plane there is, so starting the theme of is a Revell F3 in 1/72

First thing i ave done was to put the cockpit together, all painted up and glued into place, with the control panels i might add abit more colour to them if i i feel my skills are up to doing it soon,

Here are the few pieces ive already build and are just awaiting being put on to the main halves,

So after completing the cockpit i decided to clean up all the parts, not that there is any flash to speak of, as this is a very lovely kit in my opion hardly any flash if any and the fit is nice, and then i did abit of a dry fit with help from some tap,

And ive also completed the under cart and the engine backs,

Tom :)

P.s you have to love the Tornado :mrgreen:

"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Motley
Active Participant

Re: Motleys Madness Again

Post by Motley »

Research Dept wrote:I have one of these in the stash Tom, yours is looking good so far, brilliant that you're thinking your skills are devleloping, sometimes you just have to 'give it a try' I suppose. Mine too will be 11sqn, not sure about the black tail on mine though. It'll be useful for me to see your progress with this one so I can learn what to expect.
It is a nice kit to build so if you havent started your im sure youll enjoy it, and yep still learning all the time like this will be my first build where ill mask something off to pain as the black fin runs done the whole aircraft so will need to mask that and might try to do the frame on the canopy for the first time to :shock:

Tom :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Bet late than never, finally got round to updating here, since the last update ive been abit busy with 3 completions and got another one on the go and planning to start another :-D

To start with is the Tornado F3 which was started in here, lovely kit overall, would recoment it to anyone, and infact im going to get another one seeing how much i loved it and the fact i love Tornados 8-) More pictures can be found over in the Aviation Modelling section,

Then there is the Airfix Spitfire MK Vb, lovely little kit looks just right, only down side that i found is the large gaps at the wing roots and other modellers might want to add more detail to the office but otherwise a good kit for anyone. more pictures can be found over in the Aviation Modelling section,

Then there is the Italeri P-51D, a nice kit with good detail in areas but lacking it in others such as the cockpit, some areas there is slight fit problems but with a little work they arent any problems at all, more pictures can be found over in the Aviation Modelling section,

And finally my new project on my area, an Academy M151A2,

Never built anything in 1/35th so didnt know what to expect when i bought it, upon opening the box i was surprised at the level of detail and so hope to do the kit justice. So far all ive done is put the engine together and paint it, im going to take it slow and make sure i do my best with it.

As i mentioned earlier im also planning another build, It is a Revell 1/48th F-15E Strike Eagle. This is another scale ive never built before, and looking at the pieces, if im honest it does scare me by the size of it, my reaction upon seeing the kit was, :wow . Ive just got to get a few bits together and then i shall start on what i can see being abit a jurney with the kit :)

Enjoy :)
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

If its the first time you are doing some complicated kits then have a good look at the instuctions - then ignore them! Think in the order stuff needs to be painted. And please go back and paint the frames on that Spit - Bit of tamiya tape and a steady hand and she´ll look so much better for it!
running at the edge of their world
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

i picked up one of those academy mutts...........i did a tamiya one about 4 years ago and this just looks like a complete repop of it.....have fun with it :grin:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Stamford wrote:And please go back and paint the frames on that Spit - Bit of tamiya tape and a steady hand and she´ll look so much better for it!
Now that ive done it with the Tornado i might just do it, cause i know it will look better just beeen abit afriad of doing it up till now :)
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Quick update here, has been awhile since the last but theres been a reason, lost the modeling mojo but my will to buy never went so got alittle bit of a stash to start working through now my mojo is coming back. Before my mojo went i manages to complete the M151A2, more pictures can be found in the relevant section of the site.

To get my mojo back after it dissappeared i just wanted a nice easy build with an easy paint job that i knew wouldnt be any problems so i got myself the Airfix Hawk in 1/72 which happens to come with a nice all black paint scheme :) All i have left on it to do is the decals and the canopy and then im calling it done :)

Lastly my most recent work has been on a model im building as a present. At the end of the month it is my Nans birthday so i thought id build her an Lancaster, as she has always loved them and i thought it would be nice to build on as its like abit of a homemade gift then. As 1/72n would be too big for what i needed i ended up with the Minicraft 1/144 offering of the famous bird.

First impressions when i opened the box up was a very nice kit, no flash to been seen,some nice details likt spinners with out the props for if you are doing a flying model for example. Out off the 3 schemes you get in the Box im going to go with the good old Raf scheme. Here is where i have got to so far, the inside of the fuselage has been painted and glued, the wings have been glued together and the outer engines have also been put together, so still abit off building to do before paint but i must say i am enjoying this kit alot :)

Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Did you get the June issue of Airfix Model World mag? It has a free poster entitled "Farewell to the Tornado" in it and a couple of great cockpit photos and a build review.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Molly-new wrote:Did you get the June issue of Airfix Model World mag? It has a free poster entitled "Farewell to the Tornado" in it and a couple of great cockpit photos and a build review.
I didnt :( but i heard about it, ive seen somewhere where you can get back issues so might try and get a copy cause Tornados are by far my favourite planes, got more models of them to make tooo :)

Quick update on the Lancaster, as you can see ive given the undersides a lick of black paint and made the outer engines, the plan for today if i have time, is to complete the undercarriage the inner engines and start putting it all together before painting the camo on the top,

Over all so far this kit has been rather nice to build with little work done to it so far to get it to go together, Enjoy :)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That Academy jeep looks like it could be fun to build. I also look forward to seeing how the 1/144 Lancaster builds up as I have one in the stash. Great work
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Finally got round to doing some more work on the Lancaster today after abit of a busy weekend, espeically yesterday at the War & Peace show where i got nicely burnt so im a nice red colour now :oops: So finally managed to put the inner engines and undercarriage all together and paint it and then paint up the camo on on the top sides. You cant see it in this picture but this is the first time ive really masked anything off when painting and im really happy with how it came out in the end. All i have left to do now is put the bits togther and slap on the decals and the clear parts and its done :) Really have impressed myself with this build. just hope my nan likes it when i give it to her for her birthday on sunday :-|

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice work on the lancs camo. I look forward to seeing more
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Nice work Motley, I decided to do my Lanc the same way. Hope my camo turns out as good as yours.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Now thats ive cleared my work area, with the completion of the Airfix Hawk which can be found here:

http://uamf.org.uk./viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1336;

and the Minicraft Lancaster which can be found here:

http://uamf.org.uk./viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1337;

I now have the hard decision of what to start next :ha: Its between a Tamyia 1/100 Lightning, a Minicraft 1/144 B29, Revell 1/72 Tornado Gr.1. Revell 1/72 Typhoon, or the beast which is my Revell F-15 in 1/48 which is going to be abit of a what iff, just decisions decisions of what to do, i cant choosee :roll:
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

After not being able to dicide what to make, i got a nice parcel from the postman which happened to contian a Academy 1/200 B-17 :) So within 5 hours of the package being open id built, paint and decaled the model :)

Its a very small model overall and only took about 30 mintues to get to this point, of all buitl up,

I then gave it a few cots of oliver drab and grey on the under sides, which was then followed by the red areas,

Picture of it finished can be found here: http://uamf.org.uk./viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1385;

Now on wth something new, my Revell F-15 is calling i think after a few smaller models something bigger will make a nice change :)

Return to “Workbench Window”