Lost World - Cammnut's Plastic Plateau

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
CammNut
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Lost World - Cammnut's Plastic Plateau

Post by CammNut »

This is where my glacier-slow NATO Flying Training in Canada CT-155 Hawk build will continue. Beginning with...

Now, as the packaging clearly says, this set is actually intended for an Italeri' Hawk T.1 kit, and I'm building an Airfix Hawk 100 kit. But it appears to be close enough...

...with the exception of the vanes between the wing and the flaps. On the Hawk 100 they extend across the full span of the flaps. On the Hawk T.1 they stop short, for some reason. So I will have to extend them.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Lost World - Cammnut's Plastic Plateau

Post by PaulBradley »

Should be good - having dropped flaps makes a big difference to the appearance of a Hawk.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Glad to see you're continuing the build.

David
CammNut

Post by CammNut »

I had to chuckle when I realised the Airfix kit does give you the parts to pose the flaps down! (I had not read the instruction sheet.) But I'm glad I got the CMK set. The Airfix flaps are more like flat plates and the CMK flaps have a proper airfoil profile. Also they come with triangle-section tapered fillets to fill the step gaps left when you cut the flaps off the wing.

Of course, it just had to be in real life that those cove areas are slivers of light grey in a sea of dark blue, so I have masked them off in the hope that I will be able prise the tape off once the flaps are on and everything is painted. I've pre-cut the masking in line with the flap hinges in the hope that will help!

Meanwhile, the baggage pod/fuel tank is making progress. Made from two different gun pods and a 1/72 Tornado fuel tank - all with different cross-sections! Did I mention I enjoy fettling?

ImageI
CammNut

Post by CammNut »

Another benefit of the CMK flaps set...more detail!

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Well I think you’ve given yourself plenty of opportunity fettling in this build.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Workbench Window”