Old_Tonto's Tepee

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Old_Tonto's Tepee

Post by iggie »

That camouflage looks excellent!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I'm really impressed with both of these OT - the paint on the B looks superb! Great idea scratch building the centre pylon on the single seater, sometimes is those added little extras that make all the difference.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Thanks chaps. Glad you like them. :)

The greek bird has stalled somewhat due to the mass of stencils etc. and I need to tackle the canopy, something I hate.
This is where I am up to as of this morning.

A few more decals should suffice. I am not going to add all the stencilling that the Icarus decal sheet provide just the more vivid ones that can be seen.
I must commend Icarus decals as they have behaved perfectly. Once the decaling is done I need to weather it quite a bit as these Greek F-5's seem pretty beaten up. See below:

The Turk F-B got a pro-modeller wash to tone her down. Always worries me this bit.

No problem though it all wiped off ok whilst having the desired effect.
Encouraged by the success of the Icarus decals I bumbled along to decaling the two-seater with a very old set from Carpena.

To be fair to Carpena the roundels & flag markings behaved but the nose number has been a right b@$**d. :evil:
They consist of a set of white numbers that are applied first - they broke up but I managed to get the dozen or so bits on.
Then the black numbering goes over the top but I only managed to save half of this!

I'm not sure how I will sort this although I think I have some Turkish numbers in the spares box. If not I may need to use a pen to complete it. :???:
That is where I left it this morning with my blood pressure up. This is supposed to be fun. :roll:

On the plus side I got the U\C attached and unmasked the canopy. A little paint got under the masking tape but that is hardly surprising as it has been on there for a couple of years. :oops:
Nothing a bit of clean up can't fix and I can now see the interior detail that I had forgotten about.
More to follow. :smilie_flagge3:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

That's a shame about those numbers OT as the B looks cracking (better than my Spanish one). Could you not touch in the broken white with paint?

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Sir T wrote:That's a shame about those numbers OT as the B looks cracking (better than my Spanish one). Could you not touch in the broken white with paint?
I probably will Stu and I loved your F-5B. I fancy a Spanish one myself but I would probably use the Esci kit.
Current Projects:
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Old_Tonto wrote:
Sir T wrote:That's a shame about those numbers OT as the B looks cracking (better than my Spanish one). Could you not touch in the broken white with paint?
I probably will Stu and I loved your F-5B. I fancy a Spanish one myself but I would probably use the Esci kit.
Thanks OT.

Yeah the MB kit is a good one but not with it's issues.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Really liking the look of the Turkish F5 OT! With regard to the Hellenic machine, all their aircraft seem to show signs of a hard life; the Corsairs they sent to RIAT a couple of years ago were falling to pieces!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

iggie wrote:With regard to the Hellenic machine, all their aircraft seem to show signs of a hard life; the Corsairs they sent to RIAT a couple of years ago were falling to pieces!
That is good to know Iggie. I plan to do some subtle weathering but not too much, its very easy to go overboard on such things when you are as cack-handed as me. :lol:

Not much progress this weekend as the fine weather meant outdoor jobs took precedence. I did sort the canopy out for my Greek pilot though:

I've also added a pair of rocket pods & in doing so knocked off the belly tank. :???:
So now all I need to do is get it mounted on a stand and make it look a little beaten up.

The F-5B has progressed after my decal disaster. Fortunately I had some Turkish numbers from a Turquoise Decals set so managed to save the nose numbers.
I also attached the now painted wing-tip tanks. I love that coke bottle shape, very unique to the F-5. 8-)

Next up I need to attach the remaining drop tanks after weathering them. Then its just a matter of adding the U\C doors, pitot etc.

Must remember that I need to make some gun barrels for them both.
Current Projects:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great pair of F-5's OT and I'm glad you had a lucky break by having additional numbers in stock with which to save the Turkish version!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Not one F-5 but two!
Wonderful to see!

Chhers,

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Those are both looking awesome OT - I really like the tip tanks on the B with the differing camo.

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Thanks for the kind words guys and glad you like them.
Both are nearing completion now especially as I've discovered that the two-seater does not have any cannons so that's one less thing to do. :lol:
Sir T wrote:I really like the tip tanks on the B with the differing camo.
That is exactly what attracted me to this scheme in the first place although having to do two camo jobs has been a bind. Good practice for my next F-5 in South East Asia colours I suppose.

I got the drop tanks and U\C doors attached to the Turk.

It's pretty crowded under there. :lol:
Current Projects:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Coming along very well OT. Does the F-5 have a bit of a drink problem? that's a lorra drop tanks for a small jet in addition to the tip tanks. Do the Turks use them on long range missions?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

The two F-5's look super, great work on them, i've never come across them previously but will remember them now.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

ShaunW wrote: that's a lorra drop tanks for a small jet in addition to the tip tanks. Do the Turks use them on long range missions?
Shaun, this F5B was one of six F5s from Merzifon for a sqn exchange with the Dutch 314sqn, Eindhoven (- Welschap),
Netherlands - August 1986. It's a long way to Eindhoven from Turkey especially with no in-flight refueling capability. :lol:
billyb_imp wrote:The two F-5's look super, great work on them, i've never come across them previously but will remember them now.
Glad you like them Billy. A quick search for 'F-5E Aggressor Squadrons' will reveal loads of great pics of the F-5. It's a super little plane built for simplicity & low cost.
Current Projects:

Return to “Workbench Window”