Marky's Musings...

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Musings...

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hey everyone. After some deciding, and IronMav's prompting, I'm going to start a WW for things like my refurbishment builds. First up will be the Airfix RA-5C Vigilante, made in the 90's I think(!), it's looking tired so is currently soaking in Dettol to strip the paint off for clean up and rework. I have some new decals for it, spare ones that come in the kit seem to fall apart when they touch water!!.
(It doesn't look as tired as the Phantom did!!). :grin:
P.S. these aren't really musings, it just worked with 'Marky'!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
wokka

Re: Marky's Musings...

Post by wokka »

So what are you going to start with?
It's only pain, work through it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Welcome to the dark side workbench window Mark!
C'mon, hurry up and get cracking :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

wokka wrote:So what are you going to start with?
RA-5C Vigilante, Airfix. It's soaking in Dettol so should be good to strip the paint by now. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

As above, the Vigilante has had a nice bath, although I didn't put enough Dettol in to cover her, that would have needed litres to reach the top of that tail!!, and that's with the legs retracted!. I have found with this box, which unlike others I've used, has no lid, that covering it with a bin bag has helped the 'vapours' stay in the box and reach the upper surfaces (when it was right way up!). However it's now upside down as the tail was resilient and has hardly been touched!.
ImageIMG_5315 by MD, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5314 by MD, on Flickr
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

There's still some white to get off of the wings and a little off the tail, but otherwise she's nearly stripped. So to speak!! :-D
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Great start, Mark. Love the lines of this bird a lot and will be cool to see the resto proceed.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Welcome to the Jungle Marky!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Great start, Mark. Love the lines of this bird a lot and will be cool to see the resto proceed.
Thanks GMG. The Vigilante is without doubt one of the best looking aircraft around. I've another kit to do sometime, leaning towards a whiff!!, Royal Navy!!. :lol: :lol:
IronMan129 wrote:Welcome to the Jungle Marky!
Thanks, I hope you indulge my rookie nature!! :lol: :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Well, after several days of a Dettol bath the Vigi is cleaned up and ready for refurb work to commence. I've made a start, but as with the Phantom I did before, it's found a way to come to pieces!. It actually makes it easier to clean up, I just didn't want to pull apart things that seemed well fitted. However the back end has come off, the tail and the panel below it have been removed. The left wing has removed itself too!!.
ImageIMG_5326 by MD, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5327 by MD, on Flickr
I've noticed the right hand exhaust isn't level, something that's taken a decade or more to notice!!.
ImageIMG_5329 by MD, on Flickr
Some more mess from the left tail and wing removal...
ImageIMG_5330 by MD, on Flickr
A view into the wide open spaces of the interior!!....
ImageIMG_5331 by MD, on Flickr
The bits and pieces so far!. I will have to scratch build a new arrestor hook, although it appears flat in nature so hopefully won't be too much of a challenge. Hopefully!!. I do have an unbuilt RA-5C to use the arrestor hook as a template from.
The final thing is a weird one!. The main undercarriage doors are made up of three pieces, you can see in the picture that one each side is grey plastic, it clearly isn't the original piece, I'm thinking I changed the model from wheels down to wheels up, but I don't remember doing that!. The nose wheel door is also a replacement, and it says 'Wildcat' on it!!. It's part of the plastic so I'm thinking I used the nameplate from the kit sprue as a fill in door!!.
Markh_75

Post by Markh_75 »

Not too unlike TSR2! You've even got a model of a mug o' tea! :lol: :lol:
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!
Early Bird Fan

Post by Early Bird Fan »

will be coming along for the ride in here, it's good to see how people restore their models and find fixes/replacements they'd forgotten about. Looking forward to more progress 8-)
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Markh_75 wrote:Not too unlike TSR2! You've even got a model of a mug o' tea! :lol: :lol:
Yes, the two types have been compared more than once!. The mug of tea is 1:1 scale and has working features!! :lol: :lol:
Early Bird Fan wrote:will be coming along for the ride in here, it's good to see how people restore their models and find fixes/replacements they'd forgotten about. Looking forward to more progress 8-)
Welcome aboard!. It's so long ago I can't recall when I built this one. There may be the remains of the tab/plug from the main wheel legs in the holes meant for them. I seem to think that I changed from wheels down to wheels up, but following procedure, can't recall why i did it?. :lol:
I could really do with a new canopy, but there doesn't seem to be much about for 72nd Vigilante's.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Little bit more done, no more bits coming off or coming apart!. I've braced the rear end of the fuselage so that the tail cone piece fits better. Only a mere millimetre or so but it makes a big difference.
ImageIMG_5347 by MD, on Flickr
Although it's covered by tape (to help it bend into shape, hopefully!!), you just might be able to pick out the white plastic replacement wheel door. Went surprisingly well so finished and backed away to appease the gods!!. Didn't want to tempt the 'Things going wrong' deity!!.
ImageIMG_5349 by MD, on Flickr
And just for completeness, the other side!!..
ImageIMG_5348 by MD, on Flickr
Although I only planned to make a new arrestor hook assembly for this refurb, the one in the kit had a bit of flash and was difficult to clean up without bending it, and nearly breaking it. So I've made to sets of the panels that go on the hook (it's an 'a' frame sort of thing). I'll try and use thicker plastic tube to recreate the hook/frame. The blue paint was my way of getting a more precise outline. You paint the part you want to copy then press it against another bit of plastic. The paint sticks where the two touch and you just cut out the paint!.
ImageIMG_5346 by MD, on Flickr
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Months after coming out of its Dettol bath, my Polikarpov i-16 still reeks of the stuff! Hoping it won't affect new paint staying on the restored kit!
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk

Return to “Workbench Window”