Narayan's Office

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Narayan's Office

Post by Narayan »

Right. First one is a test to see if I've got the hang of this picture uploading lark. If you see an image below it's my old 'portable office' from a couple of years ago.

Translation: A piece of wood that was at the time on the kitchen table.

Like a midget at a urinal I was going to have to stay on my toes.

A:B
2009 04:02
2008 16:03
Overall 102:10
Narayan

Re: Narayan's Office

Post by Narayan »

Okey Dokey. This is how it currently stands.

Obviously it's always this clean and tidy. It's not as if I'd just done a clear up having started a new model or anything....

Ha! This is easy. I'll post pics of the stash at a later date.

To be continued...

Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I've finally got myself a decent workspace. I bought a nice cheap desk from Argos, struggled getting the thing to my car, got it home and with the aid of my 19 month old son had it assembled a couple of days ago.

It might sound strange but now I have a better modelling enviroment I feel more inspired to get down to business.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Narayan

Post by Narayan »

This is the B-17 I'm working on in Blighty. I took a few close up's but they're out of focus so I'll take some more tomorrow with a proper camera. (Used my brother's cheap & cheerful one previously).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

2009 05:02
Overall 103:10
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I used another camera this morning for a couple of close up's. For my limited skills I'm quite pleased so far.

If I'm not back in 30 minutes call the President.

2009 05:02
Overall 103:10
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I've completed my third model of 2009 so I'm on a par with the built index of 2008 already!

The Airfix 1/144 Space Shuttle had a few pro's and cons. The cons being the fit of the doors and the fact that I should have put the windscreen in before gluing the body together and not the last thing! (This is not what the instructions said however!)

I'm pleased with the paint job though. It seemed quite daunting when looking at the instructions but with the aid of a lot of Tamiya masking tape I got there in the end.

ImageImage

Next up. A pair of Airfix 1/72 TSR-2s. From what I understand if I thought the shuttle fit was tricky wait till I get a loada these :lol:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

2009 07:03
Overall 105:11
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

This is the progress on the TSR-2s. The fit isn't that great but I'm not losing heart. I'm still hopeful I'll be satisfied with the end results. This is a weeks work which for me is quite a lot. I've managed to devote quite a bit of time to them.

I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows learnt to swim.

2009 07:03
Overall 105:11
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

OK. The TSR-2's. These got some bad press a lot of which was due to the poor fit of the kit. As well as this I also found the cockpit decals slightly too large! But there were good things about this kit. I thought the undercarriage fit nicely and the flaps also went on very well.

Unfortunately I have very little experience in the filling / sanding department so I just put these straight together. I'm definitely going to start using tipp-ex (Thanks Bluesteel!) or filler more when needed though. I'll build up these skills slowly along with everything else!

I must admit I very nearly threw the second of these two out towards the end. I clumsily snapped the tail clean off and found a smudge in the paint that I just couldn't repair without starting most of the paint job over and I was at the varnishing stage by then so decided I'd just finish it and move on!

So here you go. TSR-2 GR4 XS983, 16 Squadron, RAF Scampton, 1995 in blue grey with a black tail and TSR-2 GR.73, A8-27, 1 Squadron RAAF Amberley Queensland 1980.

ImageImage

As the RAAF one shattered my confidence a bit I've gone back to basics. An Airfix 1/72 Focke Wulf Fw 190D. Just wanted to throw something together to tell myself I can do this really!

Sometimes, you just got to go for it.

2009 11:05
Overall 110:12
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

The mini disasters I had with the second TSR-2 shook my confidence a bit so I didn't feel I'd be able to do a good enough job on a Trumpeter Limo that was due to be next. I decided to go back to basics with an Airfix 1/72 Focke Wulf 190D.

What can I say? I really enjoyed making this kit. Nice and simple and just what I needed. I think Aifix 1/72 WWII aircraft are going to be my therapy from now on!

Next up then are these 3 (This time not for theraputic reasons though!)

Again, thanks for taking the time out to take a peek into my world ;-)

The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

2009 12:06
Overall 111:14
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I've completed the Airfix Club members trio. This puts me at 9 builds for the year so I'm well on course for my target of 12!

The kits weren't that great. I suspect very used moulds but they were part of the membership so 'free' so to speak. I must admit though the Swordfish is the first and may well be the last bi-plane I build :???:

These have taken pride of place above my son's cot. One of his favourite words is 'plane'! That and 'mine' anyway :)

Next up:

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/579_1_1015206.html;

and

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=AX07408;

Hoping to finish these before my next trip to Blighty at the end of July but I only have 1 free weekend between now and then so not as easy as it sounds (for me anyway!)

The rifle is the first weapon you learn how to use, because it lets you keep your distance from the client. The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn.

2009 12:09
Overall 111:17
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

The rally cars are completed and I quite enjoyed the builds but the finish on the Ford Focus could have been better. Unusual to build cars without an engine aswell!

I'm going to take a break now. Partly because I'm unsure what to build next, although it will probably be an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb. Also I'm off on my holidays in 10 days so I can be fresh and ready for a new build upon my return!

ImageImage

2009 12:11
Overall 111:19
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I went back to my Chinese limo instead of the Spit. Quite a deatiled kit but I guess that's Trumpeter? An awkward fit in some places - screws were required but they didn't fit and weren't really necessary anyway. I'm satisfied with the result even if the engine does look wonky!

Couple more pictures here:

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=10412;

Next up is the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb

The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

2009 15:12
Overall 114:20
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

My second 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb. I need a little tipp-ex on this one but overall I'm pleased with the results. I like this colour scheme too. No. 92 (East India) Squadron, RAF, Western Desert, North Africa, November 1942 - February 1943. Flown by Squadron Leader Neville Duke, 28 victories.

I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

2009 15:13
Overall 114:21
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

Another day, another Spitfire! Unfortunately this one caused me a few problems! There were a couple of missing parts, which I coulf get around, but the worst thing of all was the fact that the canopy area on the fusalage wasn't fully cut out so I couldn't fit the back part of the canopy :-x I'm not confident enough to start cutting away at the fusalage so I just left it alone. To make matters worse I have another one of these in the stash! I checked that one and all seems OK though.

Still, all in all this was good practice anyway.

Sometimes, you just got to go for it.

2009 15:14
Overall 114:22
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

I'm in Blighty this week so I've been able to do some more work on my B-17. It's coming along quite nicely at the moment and can be seen here in amongst my portable office. Believe it or not I'm usually a tidy person!

Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me.

2009 15:14
Overall 114:22

Return to “Workbench Window”