Phil's Bench is back.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Phil's Bench is back.

Post by philp »

It has been hard to get myself to sit down and work on models this past year after all my family has been through. But, life goes on and modeling does help some.

I started with a few prepainted snap Star Wars kits from Revell. Nothing to write home about but used a little glue and at least they were completed.

First one was the Pocket TIE Interceptor. Knew this wouldn't be as big as my usual 72nd scale stuff, it is about 1/96th scale but has nice detail and you can repaint it if you want.

philp

Re: Phil's Bench is back.

Post by philp »

Next up was the 1/50th kit of the AAT. This one the kids got me for Christmas. I Blitzed it and took almost an hour and a half :-)

The droid that comes with it is kind of small in my opinion and some of the details are a little bulky, especially gun muzzles. It is based on the Clone Wars cartoons not the version from Episode 1 (there are some differences) so just left it in its original scheme.

Droid

Turret interior

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good to have you back, Phil.
Revell make fairly nice Star Wars kits...but I'll never buy as they're all box scales.

Regards,
Bruce
philp

Post by philp »

This week I finished the last of the pocket kits I had (though still trying to find the snowspeeder). This time it is the ARC-170. This is one of my favorite designs from the prequels. I also have the larger kit which I plan to do in a maintenance scene sometime.

According to what I read this kit would be about 1/145th scale but when I measured I got it closer to 1/204th. The clone pilots are pretty small but size probably depends on how the model and the "reel" version are measured. The model is 100mm (same as all the pocket kits?) but that is from the end of the tail gun to the tip of the wing guns. If you measure based on fuselage size, who knows.

Anyway, this one was a little harder snapping the fuselage together as you trap both the cockpit and canopy. Ended up with a gap at the back which I couldn't get closed, oh well. After that everything goes quick and I used a little glue to secure the guns.

All in all these kits are fun and help get you through the modeling blues, make a great little put together when you are stuck on a larger project or are suffering AMS.

Got the new Landspeeder. Not a pocket kit but still a prepaint snap. Heard the figures are a little underscale and they are that soft vinyl that Revell seems to like. Still deciding if I should just snap it, maybe do a repaint and some details. If someone releases new figures I will probably grab them and go from there.
philp

Post by philp »

Thanks Bruce. Yep, I much prefer my stuff in 72nd but some are close enough for me.
philp

Post by philp »

I did finally finish a real model the other day. This one was being done for a guy in Norway who is doing a project and wanted 60 V-1 builds using the Tamiya 48th scale kit. Not sure I got mine done in time but did finish it.

Again, not my scale but a very simple build. Looks like the engine pod sits a little too high but didn't bother with that.

Also, since I like to be different, I went with a USAAF JB-2 Loon. This was based on one at the Hill Aerospace Museum and there is a picture of it in the same scheme in use so because it has local appeal I went for it.

Kit went together pretty easy with just a little trouble getting the engine front to stay even inside the intake. There actually were decals for this version but they are out of print. Even with many requests throughout the web I got no joy so did the letters using individual dry transfers (yes, I know some are a little crooked, I don't care). The US stars and bars came with the new Iliad Design P-38 sheet which I got for review so was able to kill two birds with one stone. They conformed well over a coat of Future and used some Microsol on the fuselage markings. The top wing insignia did silver and I am not sure why but no problems with the others.

Now got to find a decent version in 72nd scale (and some decals). Do still have the old Heller version that came with a Spit and it isn't too bad.

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

philp wrote:Do still have the old Heller version that came with a Spit and it isn't too bad.
FROG, surely?

Regards,
Bruce
philp

Post by philp »

Several kits in the construction phase so got to see what I want to get finished next.

Green Lantern is started and just need to do the painting to get him done (another review kit so probably work on him first)

Also set up for a Malta GB and have the Bronco 35th scale 40mm Bofors I want to do in a dio so need to get going on it.

Also several small sci-fi vehicles and picked up a 72nd resin APC from Aliens to try and see how I do with that medium. Also a couple what if builds that are stalled and got several new figures and...

Well no shortage of things to do, just better get busy.
philp

Post by philp »

MerlinJones wrote:
philp wrote:Do still have the old Heller version that came with a Spit and it isn't too bad.
FROG, surely?

Regards,
Bruce
Now you say that it does sound more like the old Frog kit. Spit is long gone but the buzz bomb lives on.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Welcome back Phil, glad to see you building again, that Doodlebug looks very nice.
BEEN A WHILE
philp

Post by philp »

Posted this up in the Figures section but want to keep this thread up to date so will add a couple pics here.
The Moebius Green Lantern.

philp

Post by philp »

Finished a couple 72nd vehicles.

First up the Academy Amphibious Jeep out of the M3 Halftrack box done for the recent Blitzbau.

And the new Dragon LRDG Chevy which actually turns out to be a decent looking vehicle but definitely could use more stowage and weapons. Probably some replacement wheels too.

Looking forward to what the aftermarket guys come up with.

Just received a couple more Review kits from Aoshima, the 1/144th scale Thunderbird 1 (need to find a good blue in a rattle can) and the 1/24th scale KITT from Knight Rider Season 1 with LED front scanner unit. These may take me a bit.

Meanwhile we have a local show this Saturday so got to see if I can finish something in time.
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

you are doing some real good models here
Cheers
Martin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

My LHS just got the Dragon LRDG and I really want to get it but the cost is a little steep right now. You did a great job with it
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
philp

Post by philp »

Latest review kit is finished.

The 1/144th scale Aoshima Thunderbird 1.

Here are a couple pics (got to save the rest for after the review comes out).

Not a bad kit but I had a few issues with it as far as gaps. Also didn't use the spindly landing gear as I never did like the sit of it.

The wings are geared to swing together. I had some trouble keeping them aligned during the build as you have to trap a splitter plate behind them and there is not much glueing surface. They actually do swing together but when closed, one sticks out just a bit more so probably got the gearing just off.

Heard different things about the scale on this based more on what size the actual vehicle should be. Have seen 115 feet long and this would scale pretty close to 1/144th. But have also heard around 70 feet which would put it close to 1/87th or HO scale. Guess I will have to find some old episodes and make my own conclusions.

Return to “Workbench Window”