Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by Flute »

Later, that same evening...............

And for my sins a fairly early Pegasus effort, a Fokker D.XXIII. Fairly poor fit, as you can see.

And for my sins a fairly early Pegasus effort, a Fokker D.XXIII. Fairly poor fit, as you can see.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Progress. With a combination of near boiling water, and 2 thick brass spars , I got 90% of the warps out of the wings, then stuck 'em on. Legs, intakes and tidying up, then I can start the paint job.

Pegasus Fokker D.XXIII coming together, although I may have lost the canopy somewhere.........

The Avis Audax with a fault-finding brish coat of Hunbrol 20001 on the undersides.

AZModels Audax on it's undercarriage (this one has legs in the underside colour so I put them on before painting, the Avis kit's legs will be dark earth, the underside silver, so they're not on yet).

Finally, the AZModels Hind.

Paul.
hamden
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hamden »

Hi Paul

Really enjoying watching your Hawker Bi-Planes coming togeather.

Roger
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That's a nice Camel.
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

You've got some very interesting projects on the go. The Hawker biplanes in paricular have caught my interest. The raspberry canberra on page one is a thing of great beauty too
Flute

Post by Flute »

Rough cut of the 2 Audaxes and a Hind. As is plain for all to see, I switched cans of Humbrol dark earth between models, and the colours are different. Even plainer, I switched cans of Humbrol sand while giving parts of the right hand model a touch-up coat. So, that all needs doing again. The greens are meant to be different, the Hind being from a NZ squadron, so probably in foloiage green.

The wheels are from the AZ Models Audax, and since then I've tried to fill and resculpt, with un-stellar results. I'll use some spares from the Avis kit.

Paul.
lambretta

Post by lambretta »

I am following with interest the work of AUDAX.
Victoria Concordia Crescit.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Modelling through treacle at the moment, but still some progress.

Have to make a new canopy for this - lost the old one:

Choroszy Modelbud Caproni Ca 3 - apart from the wings, all the bits on the lower cutting mat are for the (3) engines. Struts and armamament are not shown. There are a lot of struts, and all will need replacing (resin):

The Hawker Audaxes and the Hind, all very hairy around the centre sections (monofilament implanted). Will add sights and decals next, then top wings. Also shown are the Amodel and Aeroclub Hawker Ospreys being started, and an old Airfix 0-4-0 saddle tank engine:

Paul.
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

I know how how you lost the canopy - you seem to have the same organised chaos system I use! It does seem to eat the odd piece now and again though!
running at the edge of their world
Flute

Post by Flute »

Stamford wrote:I know how how you lost the canopy - you seem to have the same organised chaos system I use! It does seem to eat the odd piece now and again though!
It's a good working theory. I'll probably find it if I succeed in making a replacement.

Paul.
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

Flute wrote:
It's a good working theory. I'll probably find it if I succeed in making a replacement.
Well of course you will. Maybe we have discovered a new modelling gremlin - evolution has given us the benchmonster - not as greedy as the carpet monster he only "borrows" parts untill such time as a replacement is found. Then, as all the fun has been taken from his aquisition, he returns the missing piece. I have one on my bench for certain.
running at the edge of their world
Flute

Post by Flute »

Stamford wrote:
Well of course you will. .
Hopefully I won't have to. The dog is old enough to go upstairs now, so I can move the modelling nexus back up to the hobby room and use the desk again. If I'm really lucky when I clean up after myself I may find the canopy before I stand on it.

In the meantime, here is the Albacore being masked up. All the difficult bits on the other side remain to be done. I hate masking transparancies, and am quite bad at it too.

And here are the Audaxes and the Hind. The camo scheme is certainly different but I really prefer the silver tweeny schemes, as nature intended. Anyway, top wing fun next. I've left the exhausts off at this point because getting the clearance with the centre-section struts right will be much easier if the struts go on first.

Image.

I'm really quite ticked off with the AZ instructions - I have all their Hart variants except the Hart itself, and the instructions are largely misleading for all of them, and the paint guides look nice but are largely incorrect. The plastic is okay though, although I still much prefer the Avis/Amodel kits.

Just behind the rear left Audax are some Aeroclun white metal props for the Airfix D.H. Heron. They polish up very nicely, although I think I'd better paint the spinners.

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

p.s. The demarcation between top and bottom colours on the righthand Audax is supposed to be wavy like that.

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Another one I'm calling done, but really needs doing again from scratch. To the back of the case with it, and back to the Hawkers...........

Paul.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You can never add too much nose weight to a Canberra. Looks splendid though and those RAE really help it stand out (even from the back of the case).
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Workbench Window”