Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by jssel »

Really quite nice Paul. Well done.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Flute »

Thanks chaps. It was a good kit, fun to build.

And now for something completely different.

I didn't put a lot of effort into this, it's the 1/72nd kit so builds fairly easily once you realise that it's only engineered to have everything hanging out unrealistically. Unfortunately I didn't realise that in time, or it'd have been quicker and neater. I'm reserving my efforts though for when I come to do the Dynavector 1/48th kit. Big enough beast in 1/72nd anyway.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

That biplane looks magnificent! Top work there. :)

And also great work on the TSR2. I'll build mine in a whiff scheme later this year.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Flute

Post by Flute »

Prisca wrote:That biplane looks magnificent! Top work there. :)

And also great work on the TSR2. I'll build mine in a whiff scheme later this year.
Thankee kindly .......... we aims to please. But also to clear the decks for a couple of complicated and probably protracted WWI builds, a 1/72nd Caudron G.3, and a 1/48th Vickers Vimy. So tidying up the desk leads to the completion of this club kit package........

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

More tidying up - Freightdog/Blue Max Snipe being rigged with charcoal grey EZline. Another day's messing about and this one should be done....

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

..............and it's done. One Sopwith Snipe, a la 1925. WNW offer the same markings for their late version Snipe in 1/32nd, but they also include underwing serials. None in the Freightdog version, but I'm not sure if there were any, from the one extant photo that there is.

Anyone else tempted to do this model, the kit is very nice, but you need to do a few things above and beyond the limited run you'd expect. Firstly, the decals - Freightdog themselves note that the rudder stripes were printed the wrong way around, and although you could paint the rudder white, trim the coloured bits off the decal and use them, I found it just as easy to paint the whole rudder anyway. The other small issue is that the white fuselage stripe doesn't extend far enough to the rear. It needs extending by about 1 cm to reach the rudder post. Freightdog give all struts as wood, but they look very dark to me, so I made went with black u/c and red wing struts.

You need to cut out a section of the rear fuselage under the tail where the real one had the kingpost and tailplane incidence gear exposed, as well as giving access to the tail skid attachment. Nothing scary, the areas are marked on the plastic, and what is visible is easily represented with HSP. You also need to add control horns to the tailskid since it was steerable.

When photographed, the real machine was fitted with a bomb carrier for 20 lb Coopers bombs. A spare from a Roden kit would do, but I had a PE set I wasn't going to use on an Eduard Camel. There were also a couple of wind driven generators, one on a u/c leg, the other apparantly attached to the fuselage underside. I used some old Aeroclub items I had rattling about. I made the Holt flare holders from some bits of plastic rod.

Don't forget there was an Aldis sight hanging from the top wing, and poking through the windscreen. I used plastic rod with the ends drilled out.

Altogether a fun build, although towards the end I was a bit bothered by the lower port wing breaking off. Twice. Fortuately it was held in place against the struts by the rigging, so I made a non-too-secure repair by flowing thin CA into the root with the model inverted.

Paul.

(Edit) Joy of joys, looking at it on the shelf I NOW realise I used the wrong ailerons - should have been the balanced ones. Too obvious, I guess.

Bugger.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, despite the problems/challenges that you encountered with this build, that is a great looking Snipe Paul. Proper nice in fact.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

Thanks Shaun - the other Snipe is on hold while the ancient transfers bleach in the pallid Scottish sunlight.

In the meantime, I'm building the 2 Fokker DrI kits in the Eduard 1/48th Dual Combo packing. One is just awaiting a few more decals, the cowling/engine, and the prop:

The other has been base coated with Humbrol 71 and if I can find the energy I'll apply the olive streaking later today (that one will have a yellow tail and red cowling, struts and wheel covers).

Cheers, Paul.
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

Love the TSR2, and your work on the Snipe is very impressive! I would not dare to attempt all that detailing!

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's good to see a couple of Dr Is on the go. I've never tried to replicate the streaky finish, which I feel is the WW 1 equivalent of attempting to replicate mottling on WW 2 Luftwaffe machines from a model painting perspective and it will be interesting to see your take on it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

..........and thanks again.

Here's the 2nd tripe about to be assembled, should be done by tomorrow night. Famous last words...........

Paul.
sdweier
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by sdweier »

Flute wrote:..........and thanks again.

Here's the 2nd tripe about to be assembled, should be done by tomorrow night. Famous last words...........

Paul.
That's looking okay Mr Flute.

Shane
Flute

Post by Flute »

Hi Shane,

Actually, now it's looking rather done. Group photo. Okay. it's a small group.

Cheers, Paul.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Nice triplanes. Did you paint the streaky camo?

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Flute

Post by Flute »

AndrewR wrote:Nice triplanes. Did you paint the streaky camo?

Cheers

Andrew
Hi Andrew. Painted. Humbrol 71 for the CDL, streaked with Mr Kit Fokker Olive Green using a small, flat brush.

Paul.

Return to “Workbench Window”