Re: Man Caves

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

I'm fortunate to have a large space in the basement dedicated to my hobby (although to redress the balance we've just had two rooms knocked into one as a fitness room for my long-suffering wife). Anyway, here's the work desk, uncharacteristically tidy between projects. The tall cupboard units either side house tools, aftermarket and a portion of the stash (mostly Airfix kits in this location). As you can probably see it's snowing outside, so this photo could just as easily have been taken in August.

This unit is for modelling/aviation references (magazines fill the lower two units) and some more of the stash– mainly 1/72 and small scale armour. In the foreground is the corner of my lightbox and the tea-tray which I use to perform certain modelling tasks while watching TV upstairs. But the modelling space is fairly self-contained with a nice gas fireplace, speakers for my iphone, small beer fridge etc. In fact Kerry sometimes hangs out down there and reads while I build, except when I'm rigging a biplane during which she 'doesn't like my language'.

Not quite as dungeon-esque as it looks in this photo, here's where I paint, situated in the utility room along with the washer, drier, furnace, freezer etc. Behind the camera is an IKEA Billy unit in which are stored Tamiya and other brand paints, all in handy trays for easy access. Oh, and there are some more unbuilt kits in there too.

Directly above the paint area is some shelving for some more of the stash, bigger boxes this time and mostly 48th aircraft/larger scale armour, along with a smattering of others. There's another similar-sized and loaded shelf to the left, out of camera :oops:

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Presumably this means you have to plan your builds so you are not to and fro'ing between construction and paint areas?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Well I recently moved and as a result have a new man cave to play around in. In reality of course it's the spare bedroom so there is a put-up bed for the occasional guest.

As you come through the door you have the bench itself (messy as always) with various bits and pieces carefully arranged around on the floor and suitably inspiring artwork above:

Panning round and the display cabinets are next, both getting rather full so a new one is required soon-ish (yet more stuff carefully arranged on the floor :ha: ):

Then in the corner is the PC so I can keep tabs on what all you lot are doing plus it provides music and entertainment when paint is drying:

Currently there is no significant other, pets or children sharing my space so the stash is dotted around the flat wherever I happen to leave kits after frottering them, however the majority of kits live in a small storage cupboard uder the eaves:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Mikeew
Active Participant

Post by Mikeew »

I recently (May 2012) moved into the loft for my workspace.
It is much better as I can leave everything setup including my light tent for photographing.
You can see the tent to the left and the workbench in the middle with part of the stash to the right of it.

Then looking the other way is my moderate reference library and more stash including the resin and etched hoard. I have floored it out and added heating , lighting and power. Next job is to fit a velux roof window/vent when funds and time allow.

Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

I noticed your light tent. I have just bought one, 20" cube, for only £11 including postage. I am experimenting with it with some success. My aim is to produce an image of a plane without any shadows underneath. A larger tent would be required, I think, for a 1/40 or so Lancaster.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Migrant wrote: In fact Kerry sometimes hangs out down there and reads while I build, except when I'm rigging a biplane during which she 'doesn't like my language'.
She doesn't mind the language it's the beating she don't need. Cool for cats.

Nigel
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

I'm in temporary accomodation at the moment whilst waiting to finalise plans to submit for planning permission to build my own house. The priority for these plans is obviously a room for my kit bashing!

In the meantime I have managed to secure some space in the house we are renting.

Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me.

A:B
2013 06:01 2010 44:12
2012 20:05 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03

Overall 199:52
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Re: Modeller Caves

Post by Blueberryruby »

I've just set up shop in the garage so thought I would show you guys my (as yet unused) work bench. I'm looking forward to christening it with an Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.IXc.....

20130813_072425 by Blueberryruby, on Flickr

p.s. This is my first post of a picture so hopefully it works out!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

My Veranda:

Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

The most important room in my house.

Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I hope you don't get a visit from the HSE.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Eric Mc wrote:I hope you don't get a visit from the HSE.
Err why?
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

TobyC wrote:The most important room in my house.

How many of those boxes contain unmade models, waiting to be given life?
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

With so much space being taken up with boxes you're going to have to move to 1/144 scale soon!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Here is Jssel's heavy Industries:

These a dated phots as I have added a couple of newer showcases.

P.S. All of the projects on the bench are completed and placed with many new ones in progress.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale

Return to “Workbench Window”