Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

For a long time, my modelling space looked something like this, with no real permanent work space so it was off/on/off again with the dining table...

Then Carmen very generously bought this as my man-cave but we found it was still a little on the small size

So we tossed all the gym equipment in the cottage and she let me have a corner of the garage

My biggest problem now as I work away a lot of the time, is simply making the time and applying the discipline to actually knuckle down and do modelling...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Re: Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

My two current major projects are:

The Heritage Aviation 1/32 Avro Vulcan B.1 (early) (don't be tempted to buy one as it is an absolute lemon) with a plodding build thread at Large Scale Planes. This thing has absorbed more filler and sanding time than the new study and that is in 1/1 scale!!

The Modelik River Monitor Udarnj, upscaled from 1/100 to 1/72 (one of the big joys of paper modelling is the ability to rescale a model with relative ease). There's a plodding build thread on Paper Modelers.

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Vulcan, eh? I thought it was Thunderbird 2.......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Have given some thought (while waiting for the jug to boil) as to how I should split what goes on my Workbench page and what goes into the actual themed sub-forums...basically this shall be the place for my occasional builds i.e. those that I have been slowly progressing over the centuries i.e. with glacial but incremental progress, leaving the Ruddy Well Finish thread for any that have come to an actual grinding halt but which are revitalised at some stage.

This post is more for my benefit so I can remember what my plan was as my memory is not as good as it was and after an episode of JAG (just about finished Season 3), I'm liable to have forgotten...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

PaulBradley wrote:Vulcan, eh? I thought it was Thunderbird 2.......
Similar, Paul, and both great UK designs of the 60s...and after the Vulcan I will be looking forward to TB2 - it's only real issue is an eggshell-thin resin fuselage that has been cast as a single hollow piece...the Vulcan on the other hand has ISSUES...
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Hej cool monitor. I used to build Maly Modelarz card models back when my granma came to visit and brought me a whole stack of them. I don't think I ever completed a single one, but they were fun to play around with. I'll have to have a closer look at the site you linked to
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Softscience wrote:Hej cool monitor. I used to build Maly Modelarz card models back when my granma came to visit and brought me a whole stack of them. I don't think I ever completed a single one, but they were fun to play around with. I'll have to have a closer look at the site you linked to
Definitely worth a look - paper models have come a long way since the Maly Modelarz models (still in business BTW)...got a hankering for a 1/48 XB-70 or 1/32 B-58, or maybe a 1/33 Tu-160 Blackjack to justify that new wing on the house...? Or maybe Jules Verne's original Nautilus i.e. as per the book not the Disney movie...? The building techniques are different but no more complex than those for plastic and if for those with problems having to paint models, paper is worth a look too...certainly there is no appreciable loss in detail between the two media although plastic has the edge for compound curves and 3D detail...

Both of these are paper, the tractor being a scratchbuild and the aircraft being Orlik's 1/33 PBJ...there are build threads for both at Paper Modelers...the builder, Bomarc, is a genius builder...
MrDyzio
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by MrDyzio »

I saw this tractor on NoVA Models Classic in Fairfax, VA on April 30th :-D
My modeling Blog Dyzio Scale Models
SJPONeill

Contrail Fairey Hendon

Post by SJPONeill »

This is a kit I picked up many years ago off Trademe (our domestic alternative to eBay which never really took off here) but it had a run in with the postie - the buyer was very quick to refund me (top bloke!!) but it left me with a model 'with issues...

Image]

A couple of months back I came across it while setting up the new work-place and figured I had nothing to lose by treating it as a 3D jigsaw and maybe completing it...

I reinforced the area behind the damaged sections and over the space of an evening in front of the telly, replaced most of the missing sections i.e. those that I still had...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

This process was more successful than I expected so I moved on to stage two and started to fill the gaps where little bits were missing or where the originals hadn't quite snapped back in...

This pic shows current progress after applying a second layer of filler. I did not realise that Tamiya now has two grades of filler (white and grey) and so had attempted to use while filler for the bulk of the filling - it has a consistency similar to Twink or Typex (which I suspect it is expected to replace in the tool box) - only to find that while it may be great for filler small blemished, it is no good for actual gap filling, hence the redo with grey filler...

I think that the model I bought is a mixture between the original Contrail release (with a five piece wing as shown in the instructions) and a latter release with a two piece wing, as the fuselage sheet is in a very hard off-white plastic and you can see the brush marks of the master in the vac-molded plastic...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The pic that should be above:

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Due to rain and a general lack of interest in domestic responsibilities this weekend, I have actually made progress on a few models...this was my first Trumpeter big gun the B-4 203mm cannon...I got so far this it before I started to travel for work again and it was a little too delicate to bouncing around in a bag with me...this is as far as I got:

And as soon as I find the camera cable I'll be able to show you how she is as of this morning...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

As she is at the moment...big and grunty...some small spots of touch up filler...the bloddy brass etch seats on the trail keep snapping off so am leaving them off till all of the handling is done...the gun is just sitting there so not quite true and ditto for the bits the tracks go around...

The next time you see her...in a month or so after my next trip...she should be a lovely shade of Russian Green...now that Trumpeter has come out with a crew set for her I am of two minds whether to display her in travelling mode with the limber or fire mode with the spade deployed (it moves just like kits of yesteryear!!)....
MrDyzio
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by MrDyzio »

Looks like nice, clean build. This is 1/35th scale?
My modeling Blog Dyzio Scale Models
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Sure is...and a delight to build...I got it on special at Miniature Hobby in Marina Square in Singapore for about half price so I definitely think it's worth the money but would have been happy as to pay full price for it once I knew what a gem it was to build...no vices as a kit apart from some fiddly and, IMHO, unnecessary PE brass...

Just have the fiddly track bits leave to assemble and fit...

Return to “Workbench Window”