Paul Bradley's Old British Aeroplane Factory - New Premises!

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Paul Bradley's Old British Aeroplane Factory - New Premises!

Post by PaulBradley »

Hey, all! It’s been a long time since I made a significant contribution here, so I wanted to let you know what’s been going on. Frankly, I lost my mojo, big time, in late 2016 following SMW. Some of you will recall the issues I had with my publisher which came to a head back then, and that was a huge contributory factor. I just lost the will to model.

And, put simply, 2017 was a terrible year for me. In April, we lost one of our beloved dogs suddenly and quite unexpectedly. Then in the spring and summer, I had a major falling out with my former boss, so I looked for, and eventually found, a new job. After 16 years in the same position....

Then, to end the year, my father passed away. There were some other issues that contributed to my personal ‘annus horribilis,’ so I was relieved to get 2017 out of the way!

2018 was all about getting my life back on track, with a challenging new job and seeking help through counseling, but modelling did not play a part in that. I would often sit in my den and stare at my modelling desk and simply have no enthusiasm at all for the hobby. Which was a major issue, given that modelling has been part of my life for over 45 years. In close to 2 years, I completed just two models.

But recently, I’ve started to get the itch back, slowly but surely. I chatted with my former editor (who I never had a beef with!) at the US Nationals and I got a review kit that I am working my way through. It’s big and complicated but I am enjoying the challenge, although my skills have eroded somewhat. And I have grabbed a couple of half-completed models from the Shelf of Doom, so that I can get up to speed without ruining a brand new kit.

John R reached out to me recently, and I am grateful for his kind words. So I have started visiting here again, catching up with all the old names and seeing some new ones as well.

This is my new Old British Aeroplane Factory thread, and I’ll be starting with an old stand-by – the Spitfire, of course! The Hasegawa 1/48 Mk.VIII, which I started for a GB here a few years ago, but never finished. As you can see, I’ve completed the basic airframe and now it’s a question of getting it painted and adding the dangly bits. I’ll be using Xtradecals Spit VIII decals for a Far East Air Force machine of 152 Sqn – the Black Panthers!

Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Paul Bradley's Old British Aeroplane Factory - New Premi

Post by splash »

Great to see you back, you have been really missed.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hey, Paul, good to have you back !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jaime »

I hardly feel qualified to do so as I've not been back here long myself but welcome back Paul and sincere condolences on the passing of your father. Like you I've had a very trying 3 years or so, also including serious job related stresses & the loss of my dad, which knocked me sideways & I didn't build a kit for over 3 years, so understand exactly that loss of mojo that you describe. I'm slowly getting back into things myself & finally finished a kit I started in 2014/15 yesterday! I'm sure you'll be back up to speed in no-time & I'm looking forward to seeing that Spitfire develop :-)
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry about the rough times, Paul, but it's wonderful to see you back here.

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

This place is a bit like The Hotel California. You can check out, but you can never leave. Welcome back

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good to see you in action again Paul but not good to hear of your recent troubles and losses. I hope that in time you will be able to put the last couple of years behind you (as much as you can with these kind of things) and that modelling helps and again becomes the enjoyable hobby for you that it previously was 8-)

Did you know that some say you can never have too many Spitfires... :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

A massive warm hug of a welcome back Paul. You’ve be been missed greatly ( I’ve seen you lurking on other forums! ). Look forward to chatting with you more.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Good to have you back Paul. That's a lot of body blows in a short time, and although the correct term escapes me, I can vouch for there being something therapeutic about easing into your new 'Normal Life' by digging out an unfinished project and conquering it.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

You've certainly been through the mill a bit in recent times, Paul and it really is great to see you back posting here again - long may it continue!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

While I knew you were not active on here, I had seen you regularly post on britmodeller so I knew you were still alive and around
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Cheers, everyone, I appreciate the warm welcome back! I am hoping to really get back into the hobby this year after everything that's happened. Certainly, the new Airfix stuff has been very exciting and I look forward to building some of them during 2019.

As I mentioned, I have a review kit, so I am also hoping to revive my writing. I have a couple of ideas for books, but they might be a bit esoteric for mainstream publishers. I might have to schlepp them around.

I've been perusing the GB schedule and there are some towards the end of the year that I want to join. Perhaps I'll even finish something this time!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Welcome back to you and your mojo, Paul!
Sorry to hear about annulus horribilus. Must look forward now.

Cheers,

David
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Cheers Paul. Great to have you around
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great to see you back here Paul. Sorry to hear of your troubles, you have plenty of friends on here and if you ever need to talk, we're here for you.
I know you may be Hunter'd out after the book but having looked over the new Airfix 48th scale kit it certainly looks superb. I don't usually build 48th scale but I'm tempted by it.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Workbench Window”