Prisca's Mayhem

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
bilby1968
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Prisca's Mayhem

Post by bilby1968 »

Nice looking Merc. Sweet set of wheels

Dave
3 on the bench at anytime............well sometimes!!
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! Much appreciated.
Clashcityrocker wrote:Open a tube of glue, inhale. Aahhh problems gone. ;-) (only joking)
Hmmm interesting. On second thoughts, no. But I have always thought that petrol smells good. Oops, did I say that out loud? :-D

I've built five cars this size many years ago, luckily I didn't encounter these problems back then (except for one of them that didn't turn out good). I know it's a one off, but needed to vent. :lol:

The two Jo-Han cars will be better. And the way they have the windscreen glasses and interior go into 'pins' (that what you call them?) of the body, the fit wont be a problem. That's what I like about them. I've built a couple of Jo-Han cars earlier and really enjoyed them.

PS: As far as the Merc interior goes, I did stretch myself to adding a wash to the 'cracks' in the seats. Went over with a toothpick. Looked much better.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Building cars Sissel? you must like a challenge. IMHO cars are one of the most difficult subjects to get right, especially the paint work (too gloss and the model can look toy like, too matt and it won't look right) and then there's all the transparencies which present plenty of opportunity for fogging. I haven't tried to build a civilian car in years (my recent Mercedes Wolf is the closest I've come to a car recently but that is a military jeep with matt paintwork) and I think you've made a good effort with the Merc.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I'm a sucker for american classic cars.
Why I ever bought this Mercedes is still a mystery to me. I don't even like them! :lol:

Got a feeling I'll enjoy the other cars more, hopefully make a better job and don't force-rush a finish. If I get really tired of them I'll just put them away for a bit.

The Mercedes and the Chrysler 300 is my first go with a spraycan. Allthough the job aint perfect I am very pleased being my first time. It's what's been putting me off for so long, the worry of spraypainting. But now I have a good spot in the greenhouse with a box and fan, still weather dependant, and find it much fun to spray. ;-)

Am still not getting to airbrushing yet though. :-D

Today I've spent some hours at the bench painting black on both cars, the interior floor, chassis. Put the engine in. Painted some smaller bits. The Dodge still has got it's primer on, waiting for better weather so I can take it out for spraying. Still raining and thunder, for days now, with the sun peeping in at five minutes every now and then. :lol:
Tomorrow will be a good day, sunny and nice, but then I'm gonna go help clean out an old house. Just need to get to the doctor again first, can't get rid of this infection. :sad:
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Managed to spray the Dodge Dart before I'm heading out. Later today or tomorrow I will spray it with gloss varnish. Another lovely blue shade.
Also been dry fitting the engines.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Looks to be a nice coat of blue.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a great shade of blue and what a great looking car the Dart is, it's a proper bit of classic Americana 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Thanks guys.
Having had a closer look at it tonight, the fine sanding from the primer shows through. :sad:
Here is where I definitely prefer Tamiya Fine White, but had to get some from the local car store as I ran out. Will need to put a thicker coat of blue on.
The Chrysler has Tamiya Fine White primer, and there's a clear difference.
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Work on the Jo-Han cars to be continued in THIS thread in the civil vehicle forum.
Better to move them over there, methinks. :)
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

No one can make a perfect car. Cars have, and always will be, hard to perfect.

But you seem to make better cars then me!
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Thanks.

I decided to take some 'better' pics to show how bad it really is. Superglue spill and paint reaction due to the rear cracked when pushing body down over chassis, how lopsided it is, leaning on one side, small details I didn't bother to paint or fix, klear coating windscreen that went wrong etc. etc.
Probably one of my worst builds in a little while. The silver paint is also too bright, the license plates doesn't show!! I could manually paint the numbers, but nahh.. that would just be ugly. The S-600 text on the body doesn't show either. I didn't know these were the same shade as the silver. I figured it would be fine to use a silver spray as the box art is silver and instructions says the same. It would actually have to be a darker metallic grey for the logos and plates to be seen. Bugger ai!

It's okay, you're allowed to laugh, smile and mock, cause I do! :lol:

Titan

Post by Titan »

Sissel, I know you are less than pleased with this build but to somebody that knows squat about cars I honestly don't think that it is that bad so I certainly will not be laughing at it.
Well done I say regardless.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by Sissel »

Thanks for the nice words.
It's just really annoying. In most cases it would be an easy matter of trimming to get the body down on the other side (chassis is sticking out). But that would mean start cutting the windscreen and interior sides. And I still don't know if it would fit. The inner front of the body would also have be trimmed as the shape seems to prevent a good fit, which means a new paintjob and editing of lights etc. I just don't know how to fix that. Anyway, a lopsided body, cracked rear sides and glue/paint reaction. Can just say some kids have played with it. :-D

I hope Dirk doesn't see this. :shock: :lol: :-D
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Stop putting yourself down, Sissel. It's a darned sight better than any car I've ever built.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

The Jo-Han cars are looking much better, and I'm enjoying those builds much more. :)

Return to “Workbench Window”