Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by Dazzled »

Another titanic battle David but one you seem to be winning. 8-)

I think I might be able to offer an insight into the anomaly in nose sizes. A short while ago I built Mistercraft's Mig-19 Farmer in order to plug a gap in the Cold war SIG display. The Mistercraft kit seemed to be better than the other meagre offerings available in 1/72nd as it has recessed panel lines and what looked like a decent decal sheet. However, all was not well with the Mig; it looked a little too chunky to my engineer's eye, particularly the wings. So I rummaged around and found an old KP Mig-19, the kit on which the Mistercraft offering is based. A measuring with my digital Vernier showed that the wings were around 0.7mm thicker than it's KP counterpart. Doesn't sound like much but, given that the wings are only about 3-4mm thick in this scale anyway, it's a big percentage gain. The fuselage was also quite a bit fatter than it should have been.

What occurred to me was that the lads at Mistercraft, rather than do something clever and build up the inner faces of the moulds to create recessed lines have, in fact, given them a jolly good scouring out, probably using a CNC spark-eroder, and in the process making the moulds a little bit roomier. And thus we get Mistercraft's take on the egg-plane ;-)

I reckon they might have taken the scale up by a couple of points :lol:

And as for the Mig-19, I salvaged and rescribed all the flying surfaces from the KP kit and made them fit to the Mistercraft fuselage. The difference in wing root and mounting point indicated that my theory might have been correct.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That sounds entirely plausible and certainly explains the resulting excessive thickness of plastic in the Mistercraft offerings. Not being an engineer, would it be possible to simply add thin wire to the inner face of moulds to create recessed panel lines? I suppose the difficulty would be in getting them fixed without destroying them!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

iggie wrote:That sounds entirely plausible and certainly explains the resulting excessive thickness of plastic in the Mistercraft offerings. Not being an engineer, would it be possible to simply add thin wire to the inner face of moulds to create recessed panel lines? I suppose the difficulty would be in getting them fixed without destroying them!
I'm afraid Mistercraft took the easiest option. Metalspraying (a method of applying molten metal to build up a surface) and then spark eroding back was the way I had assumed they'd gone before I bought the kit and had a good look at it.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Well, that does indeed sound plausible and is most interesting to know!
I have a distant and fairly tenuous connection to the Javelin, so I am quite happy to have one on my display shelves. So this one will get built, particularly after all this effort and the 1982 SAM decals lying in wait!
But I would not advise this course of action. Better off waiting for the inevitable Airfix 1/72 Javelin prompted by my efforts (and, of course, the 1/48 data they have accumulated).

Cheers,

David
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

That is a nice Zero? I think build the same model recently...but no weathering that looks good too....
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Michael.

The Javelin is progressing reasonably well. (The GB Hunter took precedence).

Today I looked at the underwing stores. I will dispense with the bosom tanks for once (this is my 4th 1/72 Javelin build; none survive). The kit wing tanks look a bit chunky, and I have a variety of 230 gal spares:

I will clean up and use the 'can't remember' pair on the inner pylons. Maybe someone may recognise them and where they came from. I will take the pylons from the kit tanks.
The outer pylons will take a pair of Firestreaks. The kit missiles can be cleaned up.

But what to do about the 78 vortex generators (6 rows of 13)? This is not really acceptable:

If I slice them off and replace them: 1) they will be very fragile, and 2) how will the decals go over them? I have not done any roundel template painting, and a template will still have to deal with the upright pieces.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Listening today: U2
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Re vortex generators. Getting new ones accurately placed is not easy, any that are out of line would catch the eye. I think I'd play safe and maybe just thin them with a knife.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

As far as decals are concerned, I put them on over the vortex generators with lots of solution and then once set in place but before they dried totally I ran a new scalpel blade over the top of each one and used some soft foam to push the decal down.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, chaps, I have thinned the vortex generators. In the course of that I sliced off a couple, and replaced a few. It will have to do.
But when improving the gun ports (most Mk.7 retained all four 30mm cannon while Firestreak deliveries were delayed), I discovered that the inboard pylon (and bullet fairing) were in the wrong place (in relation to the gun bay panel lines)!
Aaarrrgh! All the bullet fairings came off (they were pretty rough anyway) and I have a made a mess of the leading edges on the way to correcting it.

I have made new pylon bullet fairings and gun ports (not the gun barrels) from sprue. The inner pylon 'ditch' will be filled and a new one made where the 3 holes are drilled.
The two inner holes in the leading edge will be enlarged to take the gun ports. The outer hole and another to be drilled between the two guns, will take the pylon bullet fairings.
Wish me luck cleaning up this mess!

Cheers,

David
Listening today: Uriah Heep.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Fixed - in its rough state. Another reason for this fix is that as it was, the wing tanks would probably not have fitted alongside the u/c doors.

As you may anticipate (and I did, but I was not #@%$*&%@ careful enough), 2 bullet fairings and 1 gun port disappeared down the plughole, so to speak, never to be seen again. Hence the different coloured fairings.

I have to say I am getting very tired of this project (and the GB Hunter alongside). My mojo is in serious need of repair and recuperation.
First - a single malt, and then I think my secret what-if project is ready for decals.

Thanks for looking,

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Looks like you're having fun with that one David - looking good though!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry it's being a bear like the Hunter, David, but now I am intrigued by the secret project.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Indeed it's being a pig, but a year after you finish you will have forgotten the fight but'll be pleased at the details you added.

...it's even making me consider doing a missile laden Javelin myself...
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Does the secret project involve a turnip? :grin:

Oh, wait a mo; that's cunning plans and turnips........Image
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Keep beating it into submission, David, I've had a number of projects go like that :roll: I'm intrigued and am looking forward to seeing your secret project. Just post up a quick photo for me to look at I won't tell anyone else on here, honest :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”