Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice. Are those white markings in front of the cockpit some kind of torpedo aiming reference points?

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Sturmovik is looking the business David!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Yes, I believe those white markings are ranging aids, though not sure if it is specific to torpedoes. There are also markings on the windscreen (moulded on to the kit plastic) for a similar purpose.
Cockpit glazing being test fitted:

Nice fit, but thick glazing. Interior colour painted, exterior colours next. I did not glue the pilot's sliding canopy in place. I will try to get an acetate copy so I can slide it back and reveal some of the cockpit detail, or it will all be hidden forever.

Cheers,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Hopefully you can sort out a suitable sliding section for the cockpit David as it would be a shame for the detail to be hidden away. I think I have seen those sighting/ranging markings on other versions of the aircraft.

IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

It will be some weeks before the IL-2 sliding hood is replaced, so I have painted it up as is. Just a few more fiddly details before it is done.

Next, I have improved the Italeri Phantom kit seats for use under the closed canopies. Originally they had absolutely no straps, a dirty great join line running down the middle and see-through rear 'framework':

The Verlinden seats on the left will be saved for another Phantom with open canopies.

Incidentally, The USAF has conducted its last ever F-4 Phantom II flight.
End of an era!
I could not sleep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9fRiv0IO-E

I feel more Phantom models coming on!

cheers,

David
Listening today: Taj Mahal, Gary Moore
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great job of those Phantom seats David, I think they would look good with the canopies open! I'm always interested in seeing a Phantom crossing someone's bench although I actually don't currently have any F-4 kits in stock to cross my own (which is unusual as I normally have at least one lurking in the cupboard) and I'm waiting for the Airfix new tool. Indeed the end of an era for one of the most iconic and important jet aircraft ever to serve with the U.S. military.

IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Great looking seats for the F-4 David. You really improved it from the original Italeri seat! The paint scheme looks interesting too. I did not realize the USAF were still flying the Phantom.

I remember being at an airshow and during the pre-airshow brief the pilots were were standing up one at a time and briefing what they were going to do. They were technical in describing what they had planned (60 degree 2 g turn followed by a 5 g pull-up...). Then the German F-4 pilots got up and all they said was go fast, make noise. And they did just that. The thing really shook you as it went by!
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, guys.
The Phantom seats are now in the Phantom! Woohoo!
The IL-2T should be done tomorrow. May not be able to put up pics for a couple of weeks unless I move very smartly. I am off to NZ for nearly two weeks on Wednesday.
And the Airfix 1958 Hurricane is almost on its legs:

I have repaired the broken leg and added some basic support struts. (This has to last longer than the one I built when I was a boy!)
Also in view is the added carby air intake. The spare Matchbox wheels go back in the spares bin.
Soon I can start on the underwing RPs. Then decals.

When I get back from NZ I look forward to starting on a new project. And there has not been a restoration on the bench for a couple of months. So much to choose from!

Thanks for looking,

David
Listening today: The Beatles' "Eight Days a Week" restored concert movie soundtrack, including absolutely non-stop screaming from the fans all the way through.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Some really nice looking builds on the go - nice Work!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I'm back!
Short holiday across the ditch in New Zealand; 2 and a half weeks away from the bench! I have posted some pics from the Omaka air show here:
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=15478

Decals are on the 1/72 Italeri F-4F:

These are a combination of Esci and Italeri decals of the old 1980s stiff sort. Mr Mark Softer and Setter were very helpful on compound curves and raised panel lines.
While this settles and dries, I can get back to the original Airfix 1/72 Hurricane. Mainwheels next, then decals.

What next on the bench? A very scary Amodel 1/72 Yak-28 is tempting me, and maybe one of a family of 1/72 Harriers to fill the gaps in my display - the fine Esci GR.1.
In terms of restorations I have made a start on a daunting 1/144 Super Connie in poor condition. And a what-if Fairey FD.2 is foundering. Neither of these are very encouraging yet.
Hopefully I am just warming up!

cheers,

David

Listening today: Simple Minds, Grace Jones
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Sweet
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Some great stuff as usual, David.

I'm really impressed with the Italeri Phantom. That Norm 82 camouflage is tricky to paint. Did you use poster-putty to mask the scalloping on either side of the spine? How did you get them looking straight and even?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, that Phantom looks great!

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the Phantom, that scheme suits it very well
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Softscience wrote:Some great stuff as usual, David.
Did you use poster-putty to mask the scalloping on either side of the spine? How did you get them looking straight and even?
Thanks, Ralph.
Yep, I used Blu-tack 'snakes' to mask all the camo except the almost-straight edges at the wing root.
Normally, I airbrush from dark to light shades, but in this case the light grey on the sides of the fuselage and the spine had to be re-sprayed last because it was too hard to preserve the original coat with all the other colours having to follow the wavy line, one by one. (Not sure what you mean by 'looking straight).
This is a tricky paint job, but not as frustrating as the Indian Air Force MiG-27 that I have given up on for the time being.

Now let's have a look at the 1980s Esci AV-8A Harrier that I will build as a 233 OCU GR.1 using Alley Cat and Microscale decals.

IMHO this is very good for a 1980s kit, in spite of the ejector pin marks and some sink holes. Harrier outriggers are always susceptible and these have some deep sink holes. But notice the shapely bulges where the outboard pylons go! Besides Esci (now Italeri GR.3 and Sea Harrier) I have not seen those on any other kits for early Harriers until the new Sword kits arrived!
As far as I know, only the Italians got it! I am impressed.

Thanks for looking,

David

Return to “Workbench Window”