Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by skypirate »

Chaps, you are all too kind! I am very flattered - the model isn't finished yet! And I know where it could have been done better!
PGAS wrote:Just wondering how you painted the yellow stripe around the canopy?
Fortunately, I still have a pretty steady hand. This time I simply loaded a very fine paintbrush with diluted enamel and zipped around the canopy - quite rapidly because I was holding my breath! The result is not perfect, and when dry requires a bit of correction with a toothpick.

I have used other methods - decal strip, or a thicker painted yellow line, masked off on one side (the clear canopy side) and down to the canopy edge on the other side, later corrected (made thinner) with the canopy colour. So a steady hand is still required.

This kit does not have the MDC imprinted on the canopy. Or the open auxiliary intake doors, but I carved the upper doors to look somewhat open.

Cheers,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

The Revell 1/72 109G-10 interior is pretty much ready to be sealed up.

The Esci 1/72 Harrier GR.1 is nearly done; with a bit of luck I will photograph it tomorrow.
And I am checking all the window filling on the Airfix 1/144 VC-10 with Tamiya rattle can fine primer - a 1st for me.

Thoughts are wandering to the next model on the bench. I am spoiled for choice.

cheers,

David
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Nice work David :mrgreen:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

Ratch wrote:Nice work David :mrgreen:
Ditto.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I have this project to build a slew of late-model 1/72 Bf-109s to show off some of the variety of camouflage schemes seen on these aircraft. The present G-10 illustrates the colour conundrum I am faced with.

The AJ Press 109 Pt.2 volume shows White 57 in 1945 in a quite unusual scheme that looks like RLM 82 green covering the wings and tailplanes, and upper fuselage. The H-Models decal sheet describes the same aircraft as 'light green' 82 and 75 on the wings and 75 over 76 (no green at all) on the fuselage, with a RLM 02 'yellow grey' nose all the way back past the wing leading edge!

Xtracolour calls its RLM 82 'dark green' (its RLM 83 being 'light green').
Two indistinct b&w photos on the web show a lighter coloured nose and wingtip lower surfaces, and short tailwheel. The wing upper surfaces can not be seen.

So AJ Press missed the lighter nose, and H-Models extended the lighter coloured wingtips to the ailerons. Each source has interpreted a different coloured upper fuselage. Both agreed on a night-fighter unit.

I personally doubt that the nose would have been the early-war 'light' RLM 02, but it makes for an interesting variation. I guess we will never know for sure! If I build it like that some Luftwaffe expert will have a field day. Since the H-Models description includes both the green and the grey uppers, I will settle for that, with some kind of pale primer-covered nose. At least nobody can prove me wrong!

And this is only the second model in the project! What fun!

Very good wing-to-fuselage joins; no filler required.

Cheers,

David
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

No authority here by any means and late war (1945) Lutwaffe can be a real headache. But there are photos out there of Yellow 7, a K-4 or G-10, in overall RLM 82 uppers and what appears to be a RLM 75 "replacement" nose.

Don't want to muddy your waters but offer another thought.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate the info.

I will keep that in mind for the next G-10 or K model.

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Revell 1/72 Bf 109 G-10 painting in progress.

The front end up to the back of the air scoop is still masked over the shade of primer that I mixed.
The RLM76 on the fuselage sides has already been repaired after overspray from the RLM75.
The disruptive green shade is yet to go on the wings and tailplanes.

My old Aztek airbrush has finally given up the ghost after many years of good service. My newer Aztek is a different model and takes some getting used to.

Thanks for looking.

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

It looks like I am certainly going to get one of the weird and wonderful 109 schemes I was after!
The decal sheet said RLM82 light green, whereas my Xtracolour RLM82 is labelled dark green and RLM83 is much lighter (and looks like the colour illustration on the decal sheet).
So I plumped for the 83.

I reckon I will have to extend the 83 a couple of mm further towards the fuselage on each side.
My secret primer mix on the nose area is still masked in anticipation of further touch-ups around it. And I am not entirely happy about the demarcation of the RLM75 on the fuselage - so will redo that with 'stand-off' blu-tack masking. Followed by a scalloped RLM76 wing leading edge! Aaarrgh!
Here we go; fingers crossed!

Fortunately there is no mottling required.
These Luftwaffe schemes are very fiddly in 1/72!

Thanks for looking,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The G-10 is looking really great, David. Airbrushing would be my preferred method when it comes to these late war Luftwaffe schemes with their soft edges, mottles and what have you but it is really tricky in 1/72nd. I like your approach here with the stand off masking, hopefully you will obtain a nice soft demarcation and minimal overspray.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

ShaunW wrote:Airbrushing would be my preferred method when it comes to these late war Luftwaffe schemes with their soft edges, mottles and what have you but it is really tricky in 1/72nd. I like your approach here with the stand off masking, hopefully you will obtain a nice soft demarcation and minimal overspray.
Shaun, I am happy to report that the masking worked entirely to my satisfaction! I should have done that to begin with. My Aztek fine nozzle is no longer up to it, at least on the airbrush I am getting used to.

Cheers,

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looking good.

Nigel
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

[quote="skypirate"]
These Luftwaffe schemes are very fiddly in 1/72!/quote]

Yep, hence why the only Nazi plane I've built since childhood has been this one, which I researched long and hard to find a non-mottled scheme:
http://www.bigglesforum.net/forum/galle ... age_id=649;

(Apart from the fact that I don't like Nazis and they made ugly aircraft...)

You're making a good job of this one though, David. My hat is off to anyone who can do these paint jobs, especially in this scale.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thank you, David.
By coincidence I also went for that unusual scheme for the new-tool Airfix Fw-190! (I think you used the Academy kit)
I used the decals from the Revell kit of a few years ago.

Cheers,

David
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

That looks so much better than mine! :oops: :oops:

I wasn't sure if mine should have been white or grey. The colour profiles seemed to indicate white so I jumped that way in the end but there's a pretty high likelihood it's wrong. Oh well....

I used the same kit as you - the new Airfix. It was a very easy build.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Return to “Workbench Window”