Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by Marek »

Jag is outstanding! Lots of goody model work done on all of your projects.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, all! Well here I am making progress on two 1/72 Hunters.

Matchbox T.7:

Wheel wells boxed in. I tidied this up with some filler but have not added any detail. Yet?

Wingtip panel lines improved. I have since cut out notches for the nav lights:

This kit and conversion has used a great deal of putty. Partly due to my sloppy attempts to rescribe panel lines on all those beautifully curved surfaces, and then make necessary corrections. This may be finished as a FRADU T.7. Not absolutely sure yet.

Revell FGA.9:

I had a stab at simulating the intake duct by blocking off the interior of the wing. I also made up 3 more sets for other Revell Hunters in the stash.

I remembered to put some lead foil in the nose! At this point it looks like I will use ModelArt decals for a Danish F.51 on this model - just for variety. Haven't ever used ModelArt decals before. They certainly look great.

Both together:

Also gearing up to start sanding off the raised panel lines on the Matchbox Victor.

Onward Ho!

cheers,

David
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

This Hunter looks like some serious filling project :) looks good so far
Cheers
Martin
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

malepo wrote:This Hunter looks like some serious filling project
Don't be fooled - it's not quite that bad. All that grey is me looking for blemishes after filling and sanding. The actual filling and sanding is less widespread.

I have since replaced the chunky Matchbox air brake parts with a delicate Quickboost resin example. So delicate that it had split along one edge.

cheers,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I finally decided to finish the T.7 as the sole Black Arrows example, XL610. I do not have the tiny red serial or the gold 'Treble One Squadron' legend, but I have the rest from an F.6 decal sheet.

First coat of Humbrol gloss back (actually very dark grey) turned out a bit rough to the touch; the tinlet was at the end of its useful life. So here I have lightly sanded back in preparation for the finishing coat from a new tin.

That coat has gone on since the picture was taken, and is looking much more acceptable. I have added some basic ribbing in the wheel wells.

The Revell Hunter is ready for paint. I realised that my Danish decals are not suitable for a FGA.9 airframe, so it will be back to the kit decals; 79 Sqn RAF.

On the back burner for many months is my 2nd FROG Firefly Mk.1 which has reached this advanced stage.

Rockets are from a Tamiya Mossie. The trick will be mounting them on the underwing panels seen in the photo. Also, the spinner has come off, leaving the shaft in the fuselage! How am I going to mount that without any solution falling back into the fuselage? Once I get the prop back on, the matt coat will follow and I can start fiddling with the rockets and the canopies.

Thanks for looking!

David
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

The rockets look very well done Skypirate. As does everything else as usual. I look forward too seeing more of your work.

I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

A:B
2012 03:00 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 176:46
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That firefly looks great! Is the red on the fuselage roundel painted out?
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Softscience wrote:Is the red on the fuselage roundel painted out?
Yes it is! The Aeromaster decals actually provide the painted-over red centres. I don't have the decal instructions to hand - I believe this is an aircraft at RAN Station Schofields north-west of Sydney, immediately post-war. ( I have been there, for a couple of airshows in the late '70s or early '80s. Fondly remember an airworthy RAN Firefly AS.6 that eventually crashed after engine failure on take-off in 1987).

cheers,

David
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Am I correct in assuming that the RAF, RAAF, RN, etc., painted out the reds on their roundels so they weren't confused for Hinomarus from afar?
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Softscience wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the RAF, RAAF, RN, etc., painted out the reds on their roundels so they weren't confused for Hinomarus from afar?
Sorry for the late response - yes, I believe so; 1940s version of low-vis markings. This particular a/c is represented while ashore in Australia in 1946.

My two 1/72 Hunters are progressing nicely (if slowly!)

The Revell kit is a little beauty, and the Matchbox kit + Aeroclub conversion scrubs up well if you dress up the cockpit. The gloss black finish is hard to keep clean! The photo angle exaggerates the size of the T.7.
This pair will be finished soon when I have done the nav lights and pitots.
I now have a craving for more Hunters! I have done some minor updating on my old Airfix and FROG models, and I have another FROG kit lined up.

Thanks for looking!

David
Marek

Post by Marek »

a beautiful pair.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Nice touch with the roundel, the rockets will make a big difference. I must get on with my Revell Hunter - I picked one up for a fiver on sale and got a fair kit for the money.
running at the edge of their world
kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

The Hunter is really an intriguing aircraft
Salute e Latinum per tutti !
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi David,

Nice work on the Hunters, I like the boxed in wheel wells on the matchbox kit. Something I'd like to have a go at I think but is it easy to do? Appreciate any tips!

Cheers
Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Rob1970
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Rob1970 »

skypirate wrote:How am I going to mount that without any solution falling back into the fuselage?
Replace the prop-shaft with a nail (I use 1.2 millimeter iron nails). Make a styrene dowel with an 8 millimeter diameter, about 15 millimeter long. I use left-over bits of sprue for that. Drill a hole down the center of it, the same size as the nail. Stick a magnet on the end of the dowel. Drill out the hole in the nose of the airplane, a tiny bit smaller then the styrene dowel. Stick the dowel in the hole with poly cement. Clip nail/prop-shaft to the right length. And Bob's your second cousin twice removed!

You could look here for an example. I did the prop on my Bf-109 that way. I do all my props with nails and magnets. Keeps them out of the way while building, and sturdy on when on display.

Rob
It was either this or a misstress. In the end Airfix turned out to be cheaper...

Return to “Workbench Window”