Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by skypirate »

Stupot wrote:Hi David,
is it easy to do? Appreciate any tips!
Stu,
yes, it is easy, but fiddly. You can see the technique here in my old Airfix Defiant build:

Sheet styrene rolled to fit and trimmed after glued and dried. Depending on the kit you will be able to do some or all of the wheel well - even some is better than nothing. Add ribbing to the roof of the well to simulate some basic structure. (Styrene sheet can also provide the roof, if necessary).

Rob, thanks for that tip. I have already cobbled together a more basic solution, ready to install, but I will certainly consider yours in future, or if this one fails again.

Stamford, you got a bargain for a fiver! Can't have too many at that price!

Now if only we had a 1/48 kit that didn't need correction (been there, done that, thanks to Aeroclub), and a T.7 to match. Airfix, if you cannot do the ultimate injected Hunter in 1/48 (not to mention Firefly V), then who will??? Revell have done their share in all but 1/48.

Thanks, all,

David
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Thanks David, its something I'm definately going to have to try!

Cheers
Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Whew!
Now that my pair of Hunters is finished I have launched with great enthusiasm into a couple of Matchbox kits. Very unusual for me, but these have both been waiting a long time, and we just might have a Matchbox display at the local IPMS in a few months time. So -

Mosquito conversion to NF.XV using resin conversion kit. I have taken the 4-bladed props from an Airfix kit (that has 3- and 4-blade options) rather than fiddle with the separate resin blades. Here is the cockpit being improved beyond the basic pair of kit seats. I have used some leftovers from a Tamiya Mossie, plus added armrests, sidewalls, rear shelf etc.

Then, cockpit installed and other resin bits in place. Notice the vacform bomber canopy. This version was developed from the bomber. Unfortunately I was thinking 'fighter' and used the wrong Matchbox nose parts, in spite of the clear instructions. So I had to build up the top decking of the nose immediately ahead of the windscreen.

And starting to look very much like a Mosquito.

Gun pannier, below. That's almost all the resin I need for this conversion - just the smaller-diameter resin mainwheels remain to be used. The Airfix u/c parts are much more detailed than the Matchbox parts, but they are not interchangeable - different mounting points in the Matchbox nacelles.

Next is the Wellington GR.XIV. I plan to build a rocket-armed Coastal Command aeroplane. The only photo references I have been able to find are a couple of built-up models! If anyone can point me at suitable references for appropriate squadron markings I will be very grateful. Otherwise I just have to copy someone else's model.

There is not much to the interior. I have added cockpit details and bulkheads and bracing midway down the fuselage.

This version needs some extra windows cut out just behind the canopy. Surprisingly there was absolutely no kit detail in the Mk.XIV nose so I have imagineered some bits and a spare seat to go with the nose gun (also not provided).

Then there is my 2nd FROG Firefly inching along in no particular hurry. Now that the prop is back on, and rockets mounted, it has received a matt coat.

That leaves all the glazing to contend with and it is nearly done!

I have yet to photograph the finished Hunters!
Thanks for looking!

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Hunter pictures have been posted today.

Matchbox 1/72 Wellington XIV interior ready for sealing up:

Not much can be seen through the kit transparencies, but the acetate canopy demands some internal effort!

This is not a bad kit apart from the limited detail.

cheers,

David
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

your Hunters did turn out great! And all the rest you're showing is looking good too.
Cheers
Martin
TomW

Post by TomW »

Ahh the Matchbox Wimpy :grin: no-one else has managed to capture a geodesic structure in the right way since. Watch the fuselage transparencies when you handle it though, very easy to pop them out into the depths of the interior :roll:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
hamden
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hamden »

Hi David

Love your Hunters, your Mosquito's coming on well to looking forward to seeing it finished

Roger
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

David,

Some lovely builds in progress there. You have great taste, obviously.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics of the Firefly. I remember we spoke about this one briefly when I was building mine for the "Modelling Mojo GB". Remember that?

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Wimpy and, particularly, the Mossie NFXV. You're doing good things with the old Matchbox kit but I look forward to seeing you 'improve' the landing gear. That's a problem I haven't cracked yet. I have that specific conversion set somewhere too but I tried to apply it to an Airfix Mossie which, as you know, it was not designed for. I failed miserably! But I have another for the Tamiya Mossie!

regards,

Martin
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Martin R wrote:I look forward to seeing you 'improve' the landing gear.
Hi Martin,
funny you should say that.
The Matchbox u/c is extremely spartan as you suggest. The Airfix u/c will not fit without indulging in serious masochism. But I had to do something. This may be as far as I go:

I dislike depending on superglue. That fuse wire will have to be bent a bit when the wheels go on. Then it has to negotiate the drop down in to the assembled nacelle, with a bit of a twist. Aaargh! Sounds like trouble to me!
Once this structure is in place I may consider dressing up with a few more bits of plastic rod. But until then, all bets are off!

The resin wheels have been filed down to look a little more weighted than just plain flat!

The Firefly is awaiting canopies and fiddly bits, then I will surely post photos. There has been no rush with this one because I already have one built (posted in the previous forum). This one has scratch-built interior I am quite proud of.

Thanks for looking!

David
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Lovely work on the Mossie and the Wellington David.

There's a big hayfield up near Buxton. It's got a long rock wall with a big oak tree at the north end. It's like something out of a Robert Frost poem. At the base of that wall, you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield. Piece of black, volcanic glass. There's something buried under it I want you to have.

A:B
2012 03:02 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 176:48
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Narayan.
It must be at least 20 years since I built a Matchbox kit - the Buccaneer, probably.
Have you seen my two completed Hunters in the Aviation Modelling section?
And what have you been up to?

cheers,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

The Wellington is now through major assembly, ready for a primer this afternoon:

Is that dazzling green or what? The wing-to-fuselage join needed filler, and the starboard wing was not at all keen to adopt the same angle to the fuselage as the port side. That needed a lot of fettling and shims etc. before copious polystyrene cement, and even a touch of superglue!

The scheme I am tending towards had all the fuselage windows blocked off and painted over (except the rearmost 'triangular' set).

The Mossie is also advancing. Notice the arrangement to take the Airfix propellers.

I put a roof and rear bulkhead to the mainwheel wells, before applying Testors aluminium enamel with a brush and attaching to the wings:

The front interior of the nacelles is painted matt black. There is a significant step between the upper starboard cowling and the wing, unlike the other side which is fine.

I am getting quite fond of the Matchbox Mossie kit (apart from the plain main undercarriage). I'm glad I have another in the stash.

Still having fun! Thanks for looking.

David
Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

My dear friend, I never seen the Matchbox Mossie before!

Great work you are doing on it!

I´m looking this with interest, I really like to see wich scheme are you thinking to use on it.

Best regards

Henry
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Slow progress as usual.
Here are the two Matchbox kits with a coat of rattle-can primer:

Ural, these Mosquitos had only 1 colour scheme - overall Deep Sky blue with black radome.
Here is my version of the blue going on:

This will need a bit of light sanding and another coat. Not happy with the 'orange-peel' texture. I had similar mixed results with the gloss white on the Wellington. Using an old bottle of Testors Classic White, it went on quite flat here an there, depending on the mix. Also to be sanded before another coat.

Amidst all this I could not resist the Airfix Mossie I had robbed for the Matchbox conversion. I decided to build this as a D-Day Mk XVIII in the 3-colour camo scheme. I have built one of the Mk XVIIIs many years ago. I should do a better job this time. Wing tanks also needed careful shaping to fit the wing profile.

Cockpit has seat belts added; that's all. Standard nose removed in favour of the Mk XVIII alternative. These kits have a notorious badly fitting wing - lots of carving around the wing roots to get a reliable fit.

Latest addition to the workbench - Airfix 1/48 Tornado GR.1B. Must get back to that Matchbox Victor!

Thanks for looking,

David
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I like the blue Mossie - very distinctive colour scheme isn't it ? :)
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Workbench Window”