Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by skypirate »

I found the Airfix Zero to be very fussy around the delicate undercarriage parts. Installed, they are fragile and I do not trust them. But it does look good!
Decaling has commenced.

It has been ages since I built a Japanese model, and I am not sure how much and what kind of weathering I will apply. Less is more, methinks.

The 1/72 Gnat also gave me trouble with the u/c parts. I did some forced bending to get the model to sit level, even before the wheels are on.

Thanks for looking,

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Looks good!

I'm having similar issues with the NT 262 - It's a bit of a fiddle in places.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Airfix landing gear can be disappointing sometimes. Take for instance, the otherwise excellent 1:72 P-51 kit. The gear legs on that are not only misshapen, but soft and bendy. They also don't fit particularly well.

Airfix could have had the premier P-51 in the scale, but they blew it with that crrrap gear.

The zero legs at least look better, but I can only imagine your concern.

As for weathering - I agree with your less is more approach. Especially for 72nd scale.

Maybe a light umber wash, highly thinned? Those panels are pretty hefty, and probably don't need accenting, but a bit of tint might look nice. I dunno.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That looks excellent, David. TBH, I've found all of the Airfix new tool kits that I have built required modelling skills beyond what I would say was beginner level, including the need a fair bit of fettling to get a decent fit - none of them fell together for me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

The zero is looking good thus far....and I echo the sentiments of the others with regard to the U/C on the P51 and the Zero....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Softscience wrote:As for weathering - I agree with your less is more approach. Especially for 72nd scale.
Maybe a light umber wash, highly thinned? Those panels are pretty hefty, and probably don't need accenting, but a bit of tint might look nice. I dunno.
Agreed, Ralph, the panel lines are already noticeable highly obvious. I will aim for just the control surface hinge lines, and some of those are also fine already.

And here I am trying to work out how to mask the top and bottom colours of the VC10.

I had to do this for my RAF Comet, and I was not entirely successful - a bit of correction was required after the decals went on. It would be nice to get it right this time. Eyeballing it is not good enough. I think I will have to photocopy the TwoSix decals, temporarily fix the copied cheat line to the fuselage and mark out the zig-zag. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a classic RAF Transport Command scheme that you are aiming to apply to the VC-10, David but the masking ain't easy by the looks!

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

If you trace the decal, use that as a mask for a light spray of a light colour (anything that won't show under the actual colour, then mask a touch above/below depending on which part of the tracing you use....if that makes any sense at all?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

iggie wrote:If you trace the decal, use that as a mask for a light spray of a light colour (anything that won't show under the actual colour, then mask a touch above/below depending on which part of the tracing you use....if that makes any sense at all?
I think so, Iggie. Sounds like a reasonable option.
Thanks,

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

skypirate wrote:
Softscience wrote:As for weathering - I agree with your less is more approach. Especially for 72nd scale.
Agreed, Ralph, the panel lines are already noticeable highly obvious. I will aim for just the control surface hinge lines, and some of those are also fine already.

And here I am trying to work out how to mask the top and bottom colours of the VC10.

I had to do this for my RAF Comet, and I was not entirely successful - a bit of correction was required after the decals went on. It would be nice to get it right this time. Eyeballing it is not good enough. I think I will have to photocopy the TwoSix decals, temporarily fix the copied cheat line to the fuselage and mark out the zig-zag. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

David
That's lovely. I've always had a soft spot for the VC-10 as I used to live near RAF Brize Norton.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

OCD has kicked in again!
I have made a start on the gunsight improvements for the Airfix Zero.

The carpet monster is already slavering!

Cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the gunsight David, and those panel lines look sublime
Best wishes

Jim
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I agree with iggie - that's a very nice bit of work!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thirded, that Zero is really shaping up nicely, David. It's good to see someone else torturing their eyesight with tiny additions like that gun sight - as a fellow "I'll just add a bit more detail" sufferer (one who has recently drilled out 1/72nd Spitfire exhausts for instance) I believe it to be very necessary additional work and not at all mad :ha:

IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Oh nice. That patina of grime over the zero looks just right.

Great touch with the sight. Will it be visible through the thickish canopy?

Return to “Workbench Window”