Ernie's Comfy Corner

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Ernie's Comfy Corner

Post by Ernie »

Hello all, I have been away for quite some time doing all those things that semi-responsible adults do; work, getting kids though school, kids into colleges, maintaining the homestead etc. Some say that arriving at this point in ones life things tend to slow down, I can say in my case that has not happened, but its all good.

Modeling has had to take a back seat to all the other things, though I have still managed to keep up with getting some kits and books and have even stuck a few parts together as I have had time, but nothing really serious, and certainly nothing in the way of completing any models on a consistent basis; in the past 3 or 4 years I have completed 3 kits, with some years in that span having no completions. I do however have a shelf with several kits in various stages that I put aside as interest waned or lack of time took the motivation away. Also, I took time to reflect on the hobby and what I wanted from it and didn't want, and hopefully shaped a new perspective that allows me to enjoy the hobby in a way I have not for a long time.
Any way, I have a schedule now that allows for some time to devote to the hobby almost each week, so I very happily settled into a corner of my wife's craft room that affords some working space so I can happily bash plastic once again! :grin:

So, anyway enough with the drivel, here is what I am starting on now,

The Hobby Boss kit of the French Cruiser Submarine Surcouf, a very interesting if not maligned vessel. I have some photos of the work under way that I cannot access until I get home from work.
Ernie
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Ernie's Cramped Corner

Post by DavidWomby »

Surcouf has always intrigued me. I will be interested to watch your build and welcome to the next stage of your modelling life.

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That looks like an interesting build Ernie and welcome back to the hobby :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Welcome back, I look forward to seeing this built as it’s a kit I have often picked up but never purchased.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Welcome back, Ernie. I know nothing about this vessel and look forward to receiving an education about it in model form!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Welcome back to the fold and an interesting model to boot.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

First off, thank you Gentleman for the warm welcome back. It is nice to be back and also to be able to spend some time auctually modeling again!

The Surcouf was the lagest operational submarine in service until the introduction of the Japanese I-400 class later in WW II. She also carried the largest conventional aramament of any sub with her twin 8" guns. The guns were housed in a watertight casement and were ready to fire within three and a half minutes of her surfacing. Also carried were 16" and 22" torpedoes. The aft torpedo tubes were unusual in that they could be swiveled to facilitate aiming them. At the aft end of the conning tower was a hanger for an observation sea plane and 14" ships launch.The Surcouf is though to have been lost on the 14th Febuary, 1942 off the coast of Panama, though her wreckage has yet to be located.

Besides being a very interesting vessel, the Surcouf also has an added interest to me, as in the late summer / early fall of 1941 she put into Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for repairs and a minor overhaul. I live 25 minutes from the shipyard and any time I can make a local connection to a modeling subject it has added appeal for me.

First up today was to take care of one of the sundry items, making the legs to hold the finished model to its future display base. Because of her deep keel I needed a couple of notched legs to hold the model, and I wanted to take care of this now rather that later when the hull is painted and risk scratching up the paint. Two pieces of copper tube were cut and notched to fit the keel.

Next a divider was made inside the hull to prevent one from looking straight through the openings for the foreward diving planes. On the auctual vessel this area appears to be partially open through and through, with the view being some what obstructed by the mounting apperatus for the dive planes. Being able to see through the openings seem to me to make the model seem toy like hence the addition of the divider. The interior of the hull in this area as well as the divider and the bottom of the deck was painted flat black prior to attaching the deck.

As careful as I was dry fitting the deck and adjusting its fit, there were still several areas that needed a little putty work, so this was attended to and then there are 4 hawse holes along the sides of the hull that are molded solid. These were carefully opened up with micro drills and a blade.

Before

After

And a final shot with the conning tower just sat into place.

59North

Post by 59North »

Your posts here compelled me to reach out to Wlki, and find out what it was all about. Surcouf has an interesting history, and she was an equally interesting design.
I find it sad to think that, if she was hit by a freighter, that ship failed to stop and pick up survivors on hearing the cries for help. All hands lost.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Today I got all the remaining parts onto the hull and prepared to paint the lower half of the hull. I wanted to have some variation in the hull red color, so I undercoated the area with Tamyia brown, earth, and red brown. Of course as I was cleaning the airbrush a stream of lacquer thinner issued forth from the pipette with some landing on the hull :evil:
After the thinner had dried the affected areas were sanded out and I started again, this time with better results.

For the hull red color, I tried a new to me line of paint; True North Paints, produced by a couple of modelers up in Northern Maine. I went to a model show last weekend, and they had a stand set up, so, being an avowed paint junkie I picked up a few bottles of their paint.

The paint seemed rather thick in the bottle, but thinned out nicely with their proprietary thinner (it is an enamel paint). It sprayed ok, so......good enough I guess, it was a last minute impulse purchase as I was leaving, so glad it worked out. :grin:

This is the result, close to what I was looking for so happy with that. I did notice a couple of blemishes that will need to be addressed and probably touched up, but no biggie. onward we go...... :ha:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice I like the intentional uneven red that’s very efficient.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

splash wrote:Nice I like the intentional uneven red that’s very efficient.
+1 from me, Ernie, that is looking good!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That finish on the keel looks quite good. I have the Heller one and may summon the courage some day to do it. Very interesting design for sure.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I received this little organizer today from Amazon and it is quite nice. Since my cramped corner is still a work in progress this is one step into making it my cozy corner :-D This will set on to the side of the work table and hold all the paint I will be using and the bottom drawer can hold miscellaneous items to keep them out of the way giving me more working room.

And, if nothing else, I can claimed to have finished something this month! :ha:
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:That finish on the keel looks quite good. I have the Heller one and may summon the courage some day to do it. Very interesting design for sure.

Thank you Sir, I have or had the Heller kit as well. I believe it portrays Surcouf in her earlier "as built" configuration which had a slightly longer side on the conning tower. If / when I find mine, it will make a nice companion model to this one.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

ShaunW wrote:
splash wrote:Nice I like the intentional uneven red that’s very efficient.
+1 from me, Ernie, that is looking good!
Thank you gents, appreciate it.

Return to “Workbench Window”