Stuart's Bench of Blunders

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Stuart's Bench of Blunders

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

I've not been very active on the forums since last year - being bullied at work by my new boss and trying to find another job has rather sapped my mojo, not only to build (not finished anything since last August) but also to post wip pictures of what little I have been doing. that being the case, I thought I'd draw a line under my old WW thread and start a new one (I've also cleared the shelf of doom with a mk.I flak hammer). Also the last one was getting rather large, full of unfinished builds and thanks to PB, half full empty of images.

So here we go - clean slate, and a current view of what's going on on the bench (when I get time).

First off is the FROG Tempest I've been fiddling with since last October sometime. I've managed to sort out the matt coat issues I've had with it (it must have had 8 coats of clear on it - thank god for raised panedl lines!!!)

I've also been working on AZ models new SR.53 - And what a cracking little kit it is too. Currently I'm thinking about modifications I can do to it. I'm building the What-if model but I want to do something to show mods done to it later in it's service life - so I'm thinking extra fuselage tnaks (like the lightning), gun pod and some form of Radar.

I've also been fiddling here and there with an Airfix Hawker Typhoon...

And this - my first car kit (more on that later)

And just in case anyone was wondering about that bloody awful Airfix Me262 kit - I got this far...

Before I got so sick of it and this happened.

And that's my final verdict of the kit - best thing that could have happened to it (I also have a Tamiya 1/48 262 in the stash - now I'm looking forward to building that!)

Anyway - thanks for reading, I'll try and make an effort in posting more WIP. I have a couple of GB's coming up so that should help.

Cheers!

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stuart's Bench of Blunders

Post by 59North »

Your work has always been a pleasure to look into, Stuat. The Tempest does look very nice, the SR-53 is coming along, and I hope you know what your getting yourself into with a 32nd scale Airfix auto. I have 2, and find them poor; they only look like the subject.
Also, I thought the 262 was looking very nice by the photo. Shame on you!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

59North wrote:Your work has always been a pleasure to look into, Stuat. The Tempest does look very nice, the SR-53 is coming along, and I hope you know what your getting yourself into with a 32nd scale Airfix auto. I have 2, and find them poor; they only look like the subject.
Also, I thought the 262 was looking very nice by the photo. Shame on you!
Thanks - That's kind of you to say.

The Triumph's not been too bad thus far. Asides from the amount of flash it's gone together nicely.

pah :-D I HATED that 262 - The clear coat issues and the the intake falling out into the pod was the last straw! It was a good learning exercise in brush painting luftwaffe schemes thoiugh.

PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

I like the look of that SR.53. However, I am not familiar with AZ Model kits. What are they like?

And I really like the name of your thread. :lol:
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

PropWash wrote:I like the look of that SR.53. However, I am not familiar with AZ Model kits. What are they like?

And I really like the name of your thread. :lol:
Thanks! :-D

It's the first AZ kit I've built and as I don't tend to build a lot of short run kits I'm hardly an expert, but so far this seems like a nice kit. The fit is good (no worse than a CBK) as it the detail. However the panel lines are really soft and will need re-scribing and the plastic is rather a strange texture - but workable.

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice collection of builds. I thought your 262 looked ok, but if introducing it to your little friend made you feel better, more power to you :beer:

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good to see you back building and hopefully more settled work wise Stuart. Life can be no fun if work gets you down, ask me how I know that! :sad:
How about putting an H2S bulge on the SR-53 of you want to add radar? :grin: I might have a spare somewhere!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see you back in business, Stuart and I hope your work issues are now firmly behind you. You have some interesting projects on the go here and hopefully they will yield more success than the Airfix new tool '262! Use an air rifle to punish a crap kit? pah! takes more than one shot to do real damage but the sledgehammer flak gun takes no prisoners, one hit is all it takes! :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Welcome back.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:Good to see you back building and hopefully more settled work wise Stuart. Life can be no fun if work gets you down, ask me how I know that! :sad:
How about putting an H2S bulge on the SR-53 of you want to add radar? :grin: I might have a spare somewhere!
Lol the H2S bulge would be fun! :shock: I was thinking more of a pod under the wing like the one used for the bullpup.
ShaunW wrote:Good to see you back in business, Stuart and I hope your work issues are now firmly behind you. You have some interesting projects on the go here and hopefully they will yield more success than the Airfix new tool '262! Use an air rifle to punish a crap kit? pah! takes more than one shot to do real damage but the sledgehammer flak gun takes no prisoners, one hit is all it takes! :ha:
lol Thanks Shaun - Yes is amazing what a two-pound rubber mallet will do - I've still yet to find a few parts of it. :???:
dwomby wrote:Welcome back.

David
Thanks David!
Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice collection of builds. I thought your 262 looked ok, but if introducing it to your little friend made you feel better, more power to you :beer:

Nigel
Thanks Nigel (and yes it did indeed make me feel better! :roll: )

Cheers!

Stuart

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the SR-53 get finished. I'd considered picking one up. Nice work on the other projects as well BTW.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

PTB11 wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the SR-53 get finished. I'd considered picking one up. Nice work on the other projects as well BTW.
Thanks! I would pick one up, it's a nice little kit.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I've managed to make some decent progress on the Tempest yesterday - it now has it's gear on, the drop tanks are painted and I'm working on the prop assembly.

Hopefully what with being stuck in the house with the kids all day due to the snow, I'll get it finished.

Cheers!

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, Stuart. IMHO the Tempest (and its close relative, the Typhoon) is a great, purposeful looking fighter and I'm always a sucker for D-Day stripes!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:Nice one, Stuart. IMHO the Tempest (and its close relative, the Typhoon) is a great, purposeful looking fighter and I'm always a sucker for D-Day stripes!
Thanks Shaun! I agree, they are great looking aircraft and it'll be nice to have one on th shelf.

As it is I've finished it today - I'll take some decent photo's tomorrow when there's better light.

FROG 1/72 Hawker Tempest.

Really pleased to have finally finished a build this year.

Cheers!

Stuart

Return to “Workbench Window”