Stamfords Shed End Thread

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stamfords Shed End Thread

Post by skypirate »

I have this kit, so I am watching with great interest.
What a shame it is such a mixed box. But you are certainly whipping it into good shape.

cheers,

David
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Hi folks! Took a bit of a break but started playing with the plastic a few weeks again a few weeks ago. Got a bit stuck with the Barracuda one of those kits you just can´t seem to drag over the finishing line. There are a lot of sticky outbits and problems to be got through - nothing major but a bit of a modelling block. Anyways got some enthusiasm from somewhere and got on with things by starting a couple of kits that were a bit more shake and bake. Pulled the Academy P47N and the Trumpeter Whirlwind and both of these pretty much assembled themselves.

The P47 has been rattle canned silver and still tacky after a week, the Whirleybird has been undercoated and undersided. Decided to go brown and green and Mr Trumpeter would have you painting her grey underneath but this seemed a bit unlikely so I went for sky, and thats where she is at the moment.

These two got me going a bit on the Barra who has been decaled and had a few bits and bobs added. Had to refix the resin exhausts by hollowing out the fuselage behind the prop after they fell into the fuselage after the superglue didn´t bond very well with the poly fuselage. had a lot of trouble with the resin on this one. Also made up a little twin vickers kit using aluminuim tubing, the kits resin breeches, some wire and a few bits of plastic sprue for the ammo drums.

Another little job has been making a bomb for him (these things can´t be female) you don´t get any ordenance with the kit so I painted up a GP bomb but after a look on the web the Tirpitz bombers were using a 1600lb armour piercing jobbie which was a tad more elongated and pointy. Didn´t have one of these so I grafted an allied tail fin onto a german bomb. And thats about it.

running at the edge of their world
iggie

Post by iggie »

Lots going on here! Love the Whirlwind and the Barracuda looks very sharp!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Very nice work. The finish on the Mustang is great. Looking forward to seeing more progress on the P-47, Whirlwind and Barra.

Going back in the thread a bit, very neat build up of the Spitfire. it will be interesting to see how the hobby adapts to 3D printing capability.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Good stuff. Really like the Barracuda.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's good to see you back in action Stamford and with a great selection of projects.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Marek

Post by Marek »

Beauty parlor on a bench! I like these projects.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Appreciate the kind words good people. Got a little bit more done on the Whirlwind and the Barra. We´ll talk about the good looker first. I gave her a good dose of sausage and she behaved herself very well indeed. Mixed Tamiyas earth with red - brown 50/50 as advised by the net, sprayed the raf green, coated her with future and apllied and then sealed decals.

Problem is I dry fitted the undercarriage support strut to confirm that I could add it after painting by swinging the main gear into the nacelle which you can. Unfortunately, of course, the aforementioned support strut has gone AWOL. Should be able to scratch a replacement using the remaining brace asa guide. Otherwise going as planed.

Onto the ugly bird (fish). So many sticky out bits its hard to finish! Made my scratch twin vickers kit up that turned out allright,good enough for me anyway.

Got the weird Barra flaps on at the second attempt, will have to touch up the paintwork on the underside of the wing as there was a little smearing. Undercart attached, swapped the wheels for some Typhoon wheels from the spares with better detail and strengthened the legs a tad with small rings of scrap plastic at the join just to cheat in a little extra weld area. This is a real weak point but it seems to be holding up now. Just the prop and the frightening ariels to go now!

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

It is very helpful to be watching the Barra build. I doubt if I will go as far as your fine twin Vickers!

Cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Barracuda looks awesome!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Both of these are coming on very well indeed Stamford. God that Barracuda is beautifully ugly! Great work with the scratched up Vickers guns, I spent an age scratching up a single one for my Frog Swordfish build last year - very fiddly in 1/72nd.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Barracuda is looking well nice!
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Time to put the Barracuda to bed then. I like to put a finished pic on the bench for closure! At times a struggle but an impressive lump of plastic at the end of a long road!

To move things on a bit I decided to whack out a quick one, (oh err!), and decided to go old school with a Ju 87. This is the old series three mould so you won´t be seeing a lot of these built up after the new one has arrived. Been building it in front of the tv oob just as Uncle Airfix intended. The fit is quite good, the detail a little clumsy by todays standards. The most annoying thing is probably the ejector pin marks on thecanopy which took a while to paint and scrape. Still got it a long way in just a few days!

Also been doing a bit of decal work on the Bolt. This was a nightmare and I thought I´d trashed it. The decals were why I bought this kit but they are very thick. I tried microsol but they just spat it back so I tried Mr Mr Mark Softer but this had no effect on the decals either. It did, however, react with the finish giving me some lovely two tone blotched areas. Thought it was all over with the decals starting to lift even after all the solvent abuse. Left it all to dry for a couple of days and they tried to buff up the offending areas which improved a tad. I then gave them a few coats of future and just about got away with it. Haven´t really acheived the painted on look - more like the stuck on look but It´ll have to do!

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Love the Barracuda!
And I mean to build the same Stuka kit.
Thanks for sharing.

David
(in Arizona)
dollar19