Not 'that' Airfix 1/24 Spitfire...!

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
danceswithwolvezs
Series 3 and Beyond

Not 'that' Airfix 1/24 Spitfire...!

Post by danceswithwolvezs »

Hi folks.

I was 12 when the 1/24 Spitfire MK.1a launched the new range in 1970. I built it with all the innocence and enthusiasm a pre-teen model nut could muster and it was a production that fairly stunned the hobby back in the day and made quite an impression on me as well.

Now, some 50 odd years later, I've felt a growing wish to re-visit the kit and build another one in the same vein - simple, straightforward and with no additions. A 1993 boxing was snagged a couple of years ago and immediately took root in the loft, where it's stayed until yesterday.

The catalyst for starting it was another 1/24 Airfix Spitfire; a pre-production sample of the forthcoming IXc I completed on Sunday just gone for the November issue of Airfix Model World (out Thursday 6 October).

You'd maybe think that 200+ build stages of this epic kit would leave me 'all Spitfired out' but instead, it's prompted a soirée back into the grandaddy of the line.

A Montex Mask set is the only concession to modernity as the 1993 decal sheet was water damaged when I received it.

So it begins...

The clear lenses of the IP were added in anticipation of finishing paint.

The pilot was ruthlessly Berna Clamped and left overnight to contemplate his appalling lack of co-operation...

At first I thought 'leave out the engine and just close it all up; until I remembered that the exhausts need something more tangible than air to cling too...doh! It's a shame to take the money...

That big 'ole seat is...big! A session of clean up awaits before the lab grade isopropyl comes out to clean it all down prior to paint.

That's it for the minute - time for some nosebag before heading back to the modelling bunker.

TTFN

Steve
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Not 'that' Airfix 1/24 Spitfire...!

Post by flakmonkey »

The old 1a superkit, still capable of holding its own in the right hands. I received one for my birthday in 1975, and built it with my dad on our dining table. Many great models were made on the dining table. At least, they seemed great at the time and I wouldn't trade those precious hours for anything.

Looking forward to following this. Carry on.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
iggie

Post by iggie »

A fondly remembered kit from a long time ago, and one is languishing in the stash to build at some point... having just finished it's stablemate the Hurricane, your build may just be the impetus I need to dig mine out!
Watching with interest :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Ooooooooo! Will be watching this one.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice to see you on the boards Mr B. It'll be nice to see what you do with this kit - it's not a bad one by all accounts.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
danceswithwolvezs
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by danceswithwolvezs »

Cheers for that folks - I confess I never really have a destination in mind for any build. As 'hippy' as it sounds, a model only begins to 'live' when paint starts going on and that's when the fun starts.

Whatever pans out, it'll be great to navigate those 20 build steps again after more than 50 years.

TTFN

Steve
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

It´s a big kit which will keep you busy for a while. The new tool is arguably on a better level and has more parts. I remember my cousin building this vintage kit back in the 80s. Found it fascinating and I hoped to be a modeller one day when I got to my teens. But I never found the courage to build a 1/24 Spit. Enough of my waffling. Will watch this build with keen eyes.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow!
I too was gobsmacked by the original kit, which was beyond my budget at the time. Many, many years later I rescued a partly - and poorly - started kit, and finished it.
That 1993 boxing looks quite encouraging.
Your preparation and photography are both excellent.

Cheers,

David
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Welcome to the forum

This is going to rock!!!

Return to “Workbench Window”