Fearless Frankie's Foibles

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Fearless Frankie's Foibles

Post by Ian »

fearless frankie wrote:shall get better photo's when we have a bit better weather.
That'll be May next year, then..... :ha:

Good looking build!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

Jeese its nigh on two months since any progress, but the bench is back. Sink holes and seams sanded, those appendages, wings and tails have been glued on and are setting, not bad progress since the beginning of last November! No pictures as yet as there is nothing really inspirational to show, just a box standard build.
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Image This was the state of play earlier on today weight at 73 grams. Then,
Image this little lot has gone into the nose and behind the cockpit bulhead all held in place with Squadron filler,totalling another 50g. Shoe horning this lot in even split the cockpit,remedial work underway and I can now see why a white metal undercart is needed,Just look at the state of them.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Those nuts and bolts look like a classic British engineering solution to this issue FF. Canberras are the queen of tail sitters, they just love to perch on their behinds!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The finished kit can double as a nice paperweight :)
Up in the Great White North
bilby1968
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by bilby1968 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:
Asoka wrote:In my books it is a brave man indeed who tackles a Swedish camo! 8-)

Cheers,

Asoka
That's why he's "Fearless" Frankie.
Good work.

Nigel
Simply brilliant work on that Viggen. You truly are fearless

Dave
3 on the bench at anytime............well sometimes!!
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Weather has been nice enough to venture to the shed and get some colour on the Canberra, I know its the old Matchbox kit but why did Revell not just keep to the basics instead of giving the impression that it was anything like, and here's me silly bugger got three of them from Home Bargins, anyway gloss coated holes drilled for very small apendages and all with the help with daddies little helper.

and something to be starting with as so as not to get bored, another tube

nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Will watch this build with interest, i too got one from Home Bargins.

rich.
Rich.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I like that color. I'm looking forward to getting my Canberra to that stage as well. Nice pup too. :)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting stuff Frankie. Steady on though, at this rate you'll be in danger of finishing some models :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Softscience wrote:I like that color. I'm looking forward to getting my Canberra to that stage as well. Nice pup too. :)
Extracolour Hemp diluted with 10% distilled water,went on really well
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Well started with the stickers and that was the first long sighted balls up!
Managed to pick up the Microsol liquid decal film instead of the decalfix,one quick coat slap the sticker on,on with another coat and "Why the hell is this more like masonry paint" Managed to just about salvage the sticker but it is now under a wing to hide it,as it got a bit wrinkled. Attached some fine copper wire in places that the instructions show and managed to knock most of them off fighting with the previous blast up,shall now do as all good modellers do and leave them till last.
Biggest catastrophic event was the other evening just letting Lola Polar fur ball out when glanced at the table and "where the hell has that crack on the fuselage come from"? So as the normal thing to do when your modelling bench is in the kitchen, It's blame everyone/thing else first, even the bloody dog was at fault, then realising that I had been listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 chatting on anger management, a serene veil of calmness transcended as the thought of all the metal that was unceremoniously rammed inside may have an overbearing factor on the matter.
So it was out with the masking tape to protect the surrounding areas,gently prise open the seam without causing any more damage and then run some liquid glue in with a fine brush, leave over night to bake and then touch up.
Stickers are now going on well but roundles just are to bright. We may try toning them down so anyone with some ideas please fire them off, or I may just say lets crack on with the Harrier. so here is how it stands at the moment.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I'm not brave enough to spray anything over a decalled model. It looks O.K. to me though. Good luck.

Nigel
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Good save Frankie. I agree about the bright roundels though. You could try mixing some of that hemp paint with 91% isopropyl (about 1 part paint to 9 parts alcohol) and mist on one or two coats over thr decals from about 10 cm away. Mind that when doing this the effect becomes more pronounced as the paint dries, so begin with one quick pass of the mist. Let dry, repeat if needed.
fearless frankie
Active Participant

So here is the Canberra,decided that we would call it done and dusted, sorry Softscience never got round to toning them stickers down. All in all I suppose it was not a bad kit when Matchbox offered it first time round but the reincarnation as a Revell kit! even the painting instructions illustrations make you wonder if this is the same kit. Please do not compare what the actual plane looks like in comparison as its embarrassing. Still most of the kits shortcomings were probably self inflicted and with advancing years I'm better at making sows ears out of silk purses.Should stick to buying the bloody things.
Oh and a final word on the build shes defiantly comes in at the heavyweight bracket with all that metal up front.
Just been searching the net and found a great photo of her in PRU blue so the next time I endeavor to do one (there are still two in the stash), and nowhere have I seen high viz roundels on this scheme,so that's the last one sorted as well. Stop that laughing you naughty children or I will set the puppy on you.

Return to “Workbench Window”