The Blueberry-Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

The Blueberry-Bench

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi everyone,

I've been away from modelling for about 15 years and now I'm rapidly approaching 30 recently got the bug again, so I thought i would put my endeavors, failures and (hopefully) successes on here! Any help, advice, hints or tips would be most welcome.

I started by clearing a space in the garage and splash proofing everything so I can flick paint around to my hearts content. I thought I would start with a classic kit to ease myself back in to things as well as use this Spitfire to both learn and practice some new techniques, well new to me anyway.

This is an Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.IXc. The model went together well and the increase in detail since I last made a model really surprised me, I was impressed. It did need some filler (one of the "new" techniques I'm trying out) where the wings meet the fuselage and a small dab along the lines where the two halves of the fuselage meet, but only a little.

I've decided to try my hand at using enamels. So after some consultation on here I opted to lay down an acrylic "rattle can" grey primer, and then started to build up the enamel (plus thinner) paint layers. This is after a couple of coats.

I'm posting this while I wait for it to dry before I can crack on and am now realizing why people have more then one model on the go at the same time. I set today aside to dedicate to modelling and have spent most of my time waiting for paint to dry!

I'll add more photos as the project goes on. I'm planning to paint it, apply the decals, and then venture in to the unknown world of panel lines and weathering.... wish me luck and again if you have any tips please let me know!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The Blueberry-Bench

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work space you have there.

Nigel
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yup, you are learning why many of us have two or three projects on the go at once...! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Welcome back to modeling. I hope you enjoy it as much now as you did back when you started.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

If you use acrylics then the drying time is much shorter - but brush painting can be harder. There are retarders that help brushing but then slow the drying time! Where am I going with this? Wish I knew! I usually have two models on the go, that suits me.
running at the edge of their world
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Nice work space you have there
Thanks Nigel, I'm lucky to have that area and even more lucky to have a girlfriend that's let me set up shop there!

@Stamford - I think your comment sums up the whole acrylics versus enamels beautifully! I did loads of research and in the end went for enamels in the hope that by having to wait for it to dry I might slow down the damage!

I have another model waiting in the wings but I'm not sure if I'll start that yet... I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with these things once I've made them...
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

The "Spit" has come on quite nicely, it's got it's camo-paint on and the underbelly is done. I'm now waiting for the paint to dry hard before adding the wheels (I'm going to leave the undercarriage down) and stick on the exhaust pipes.

Image20130818_191625 by Blueberryruby, on Flickr

20130818_191842 by Blueberryruby, on Flickr

I've also got the canopy painted and has been dipped in Humbrol Clear and I have to admit it makes the "glass" look really good; it's just a shame my painting of the struts doesn't do it justice. This is one area I'm really keen to improve on so if anyone has any tips please pass them on.

20130818_191811 by Blueberryruby, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to getting the final paint details, such as the propeller tips, done so I can move on to the decals.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looks good in MTO paint
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

I haven't posted on here for ages and to be honest i was a little ashamed!

As i haven't done any modelling for a long long time i thought i would try out a few new things, well new to me anyway. I started with using Humbrol Decal Fix as instructed on their youtube channel, however it didn't dissolve the glue and when i tried taking the decal off the backing one of the main decals tore (you can see it on the right wing).

After swallowing my disappointment i ran some Humbrol Clear over the top of the decals, which then instantly turned the decals white!!

Rather than give up on the model as a lost cause i started using it to practice on. I've not ventured in to the world of weathering before so i think i was a little heavy handed! I also tried using a thin pencil to do the panel lines but that didn't work out either. Over all I wasn't impressed it my work but after i got over the disappointment i told myself it's only a practice model and that the next one will go better....

Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

I soon got to work on the new tooled Airfix Messerschmidt BF110 c-2.

On this one i apologise as i didn't really take any photos as i went but here it is finished. The only real issue i had was using Humbrol Clear (you would have thought that i learnt from last time). This time it seemed to strip the paint off of the model and turn it white! I was not happy but after applying the decals i sealed it using some pledge/klear/furture and it magically made the white spots disappear, i am totally sold on the stuff.

If you look closely you can still some some of the damage caused by Humbrol Clear.

I did struggle with the nose decal, i just could not get it to wrap around the nose properly...

But over all I'm quite happy with it

Image[/url]

Image[/url]
bilby1968

Post by bilby1968 »

Nice work so far

I suggest you getting a cutting pad for the desk as it will save replacing the cardboard too often. You can get them in A3 size which is perfect for modelling
3 on the bench at anytime............well sometimes!!
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Good tip, i'm running low on cardboard!
Chris

Post by Chris »

I love the 110, looks lean and mean!
Honcho of ASMMF
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice looking 110 Blueberry.

Nigel
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Nice Bf-110. Shame to hear how bad Clear is lately.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...

Return to “Workbench Window”