Adam's Retired Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Maverick231's Workbench

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok so the Sunderland's decals have arrived, il be applyibg a touch if paint then decals tomorrow, at the moment Im working on what Iv researched as a Blenheim Mk.1 as seen on a build review I found:
http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/features ... 48dv_1.htm;

Well as some have you have read that this model came to me with a major problem, it had the remains of a wasps nest all over and inside of it:
After taking it apart and after having a good soak and clean then being rebuilt it now looks like this:
All thats left to do now is find a pair of roundels for the wings, add the last few parts, apply a matt clear coat and refit the cockpit windows.
Hope you all like it as much as I do, its been nice to restore a model instead of building one for a change.
As always c&c are welcome.
iggie

Post by iggie »

An impressive transformation!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

It was all going really well, I applied the new decals, re-applied all parts except the glass and then clear coated it with a matt finish.
When I looked again the clear coat dried cloudy!
I'm hoping that applying a pearl clear coat(I have no normal clear) will solve the problem.
Iv applied the pearl and Il look again tomorrow and see what the result is.
Any tips and advice will be much appreciated.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok folks the Blenheim is finished!
Applying pearl clear not only solved the problem but imho it made the model look alot better!
I know the markings are possibly not what was applied to LI336 but I have seen other Blenheims in these markings and its what I had to hand.
So with out further ado, The Royal Air Force Bristol Blenheim Mk.1 LI336:
And here she is with 1 of every type of World War II Aircraft:
C&c welcome :).
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Rescuing a model is like getting a dog at the shelter. All very good stuff.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Chris

Post by Chris »

Excellent restoration work on the Blenheim.
Honcho of ASMMF
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks guys im glad people like the job I have done and the way she has turned out, the Decals have been applied to the Sunderland and everything has been rebuilt except the rear guns and pax windows but im debating on either taking all of them out as theybare all really fragile and even just looking at them can knock them out and because of the cockpit I wouldnt be able to get some of them back in or do I glue the 4 that have come out and then clear coat the whole model?
Masking the windows might not be an option because of how fragile the windows are.
Any advuce would be helpful.
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

A miracle!
Wonderful Job.
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
IronMan129

Re: Maverick231's Miracle Works

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok folks my next stint of model making is underway, last night I started to finish off the Airfix Lancaster PA474, Airfix P-39Q Aerocobra and the PM Models Spitfire Mk.VB Tropical.
Tonight I plan on nearly finishing all 3 but I dont have all the decals for the Lanc and I dont have anymore black paint so they will go on hold after that.
Pics will follow tonight as I cant copy bb codes off Flickr on ny phone anymore.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I rescue a fair number of models myself, and it is very satisfying.
You have done a great job on the Blenheim.

cheers,

David
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Wow, that is a real Cinderella in reverse!
Superb restoration...

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks guys!
Well the Lanc is now complete except its cannons, the Spitfire is also complete and ready for a final paint coat then Dutch Air Force decals which I am making out of about 4 decal sheets, she will be a Mk.VB Tropical which the RAF are trying to sell to the Dutch so she will have an RAF registration but be in full Dutch Air Force colours and the Aerocobra is also complete except for the canopy which will be added after paint, decals and clear.
Photos will be along soon.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok me and my younger brother have made the crazy chouce of starting 4 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a's at the same time!
They have been built, im going to add the gear and when dry il under coat them and then paint them.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok folks here are the pics:

First up is the one and only Avro Lancaster PA474:
All that needs doing now is painting and applying the decals.
Here is the Airfix Bell P-39Q Aerocobra which hasn't had any work done on her for well over a year until now:
Next is the PM Models Supermarine Spitfore Mk.VB Tropical which I bought from the 2013 Waddington Airshow for an unbelievable £1!
And finally here are the 4 Spitfire Mk.1a's that we decided to build to make a Spitfire production line.
Note that 1 is an older kit than the other 3.
I do plan on more progress before Friday's trip to Cornwall.
Hope you enjoy, c&c welcome as always.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

The Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB Tropical has been painted, the Red on the tail has been removed and blue has been added on the top section of the tail.
Decals have been patched together from various decal sheets.
She will be going into a fantasy Supermarine Demo Livery aimed at the Dutch Air Force so she does carry an RAF registration and the fuselage markings are quite small so that it can be removed easier and the code (3J@01) is a fake code made from what I had and is not aimed at any squadron if that makes sence?
I do still need Dutch wing roundels though and the black markings lines on the top of the wings.
If anyone could help me out id appreciate it.

Return to “Workbench Window”