Adam's Retired Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Maverick's Workbench

Post by IronMan129 »

Hahaha thanks Clash!
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Very nice job. You got the droop on the H-46 just right in my opinion. That is so hard to do. My attempts have ending up with folds and twists instead of a nice droop like yours.

Harriers look like they are coming along nicely as well. You do not see twin seaters very often.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks mate it took a while but I'm a little ocd so it had to be ok in my mind to be considered finished!
Well the Harriers I'd searched for a long time and just when I nearly gave up I found both of them at Telford SMW16 in the swap meet area.
celt

Post by celt »

A great selection of models,my particular fave is the Badger,well tidy mun.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks Celt!

OK so over the next few weeks I plan on starting the Hasegawa B-47 for the Cold War SIG''s display at Telford.
It was a toss up on doing this or the Airfix Valiant first and I figured this one was a bit more tricky and it will be a good idea to get it out the way with first so watch this space!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

After the long wait the B-47E fuselage has been closed up and the gear bays have been glued in.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

:shock: Now where did that spring from :mrgreen:
Love that B-47 :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok so after dropping the p[lanned builds and running out of time here is my little project for Telford SMW17.
I plan to finish the Harrier T.4 and yes your eyes aren't fooling you I am building a nose section of a Hunter FGA.9 which I found in my spares box.
I'm hoping this and Telford will be a little mojo restorer as It's not made much of an appearance this year at all!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

That's a lovely looking T.4.
Can't say I am very fond of the Matchbox Hunter nose,but your is an interesting project.

Cheers,

David
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks skypirate!
I just love the Harrier!
Ive come to the conclusion that its my favourite aircraft!
I don't think the Matchbox Hunter Nose is too bad to be honest, looks like a Hunter to me :).

So this is one of the smaller projects I've built for the Cold War SIG SMW17 display and an unexpected but mojo rebuilding and fun one at that.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

After the final bit of filling and sanding here she is after a quick splash of primer to check the joins:
The next job was cleaning up around the canopy after the PVA dried.
I had to conduct minor surgery to get the clear parts to fit.
With it being a 4 piece canopy and being slightly warped it was a very tricky job whilst doing my best not to break or crack them.
I know its not the cleanest but its the best I'll be able to achieve:
Next I finished her paintwork and put a layer of Klear on:
The seam line on the bottom of the fuselage was left as I'm going to be adding a pylon and ordinance so there would be no point and there's a groove for it to settle into.(My way of hiding the fact I'm lazy)
I decided to go with 20(R) Squadron as I haven't got a Harrier in that scheme yet, I'm unsure about the overall finish of the model at the moment, as I paint more and more details onto her I feel a little better so I'm sure once all the decals, painted details and weathering aswell as antenna, engine nozzles and pylons with ordinance are on I'll feel happy but only time will tell.
I very nearly put her back onto the shelf of doom to sit for another year or so but my Mrs(SWMBO) talked me round despite not being keen on Harriers because I go on all the time about them!
Nose shot to show the Middlestone bumps on the nosecone.
With not having the glass part on the nosecone I've been toying with the idea of scratching a red cover like the one my Mrs bought me as a treat after finishing a difficult summer on the ramp:
Either that or I'll just use PVA instead but this with a ton of Remove Before Flight togs would be awesome and would test my skills as a modeler.

That's it up to now folks.
I hope you like my progress, more will be added soon and remember.

Harriers do it best.
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

That's coming along quite well and the canopy looks just about perfect! Would not have known of any of your difficulties had you not clued me in.

I really like your idea for the nose. That red would set it all off very nicely.

The Great Auk
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Great Auk wrote:
I really like your idea for the nose. That red would set it all off very nicely.

The Great Auk
Not to mention being very topical for this time of year! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is shaping up very well, Adam and it's great that it didn't end up back on the shelf, well done Mrs Mav for that and for buying you what I assume is a genuine bit of Harrier - yes, it is rather fitting for the time of year :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks folks!
Just abit of a catch up of my activity going on in the VTOL SB and Krap Kits GB.

I put on the underwing and centre fuselage pylons with a set of sidewinders and adapters and decided the markings I put on the Harrier weren't really dloing it for me so I decided on these instead:
Next the weapons and ferry tanks were added:
And the MiG-25U continues to put up a fight, all aspects of fit are aweful, parts too big, plastic very fragile and brittle, every time I look I find another hole or missing plastic!
I'm about ready to just go for primer and paint see if it looks any good.
Here's the Soviet aircraft currently on my bench:

Return to “Workbench Window”