Toby's table top turmoil

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Toby's table top turmoil

Post by BlohmWolf »

Looking good, how hard do you find rigging in total?
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Thanks. I'm slowly getting better although last night I rushed a couple of things and in the cold light of day some of it needs redoing. I'm treating this a guinea pig now as I've screwed up on some of the decals and paintwork. I have plenty of kits left though to hone my skills on :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Utilising Ian's proven dangling clips method to aid rigging.
:wanw
I have some mini bulldogs on order as they have a bit more weight and will be using them for where extra tension is required. The current ones are sufficient as gravity is helping but some of the other rigging will be going through a variety of angles so more grunt is required.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Happy to be able to help, Toby!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's an interesting approach Toby, I must check out Ian's rigging video, there are biplanes hiding in the stash!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I'm still trying to apply just the right amount of CA. Too little and it doesn't hold. Too much and it looks like it's caught a nasty rash!
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

CA must be superglue? I find that less is more here. If I have a too big chunk of superglue, it just wont dry very fast. When I rigged my Camel, I tried with as little glue as possible and that worked the best.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Prisca wrote:CA must be superglue? I find that less is more here. If I have a too big chunk of superglue, it just wont dry very fast. When I rigged my Camel, I tried with as little glue as possible and that worked the best.
Yes it is superglue.
I agree less appears to be more. It's the application of it that's causing me angst. Cocktail sticks seem the best way of getting it on. Any other ways exist?
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I've often done it straight from the tube, but also use toothpicks in difficult places or if I only need a tiny bit.
I use Loctite, it's got a 'thin' end so it's easy applying straight from the tube.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
iggie

Post by iggie »

TobyC wrote:
Prisca wrote:CA must be superglue? I find that less is more here. If I have a too big chunk of superglue, it just wont dry very fast. When I rigged my Camel, I tried with as little glue as possible and that worked the best.
Yes it is superglue.
I agree less appears to be more. It's the application of it that's causing me angst. Cocktail sticks seem the best way of getting it on. Any other ways exist?
I use a section of stretched sprue; the bit where the 'stretch' transitions to the original sprue (if that makes any sense?)....in fact I have a selection in varying thicknesses :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I don't mind how much CA I get everywhere when I'm fixing the rigging in place because I don't paint the upper surface of the upper wing or the lower surface of the lower wing. That way I can carve, file and sand away the excess CA then I can fill and sand again to get a smooth surface.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Ian wrote:I don't mind how much CA I get everywhere when I'm fixing the rigging in place because I don't paint the upper surface of the upper wing or the lower surface of the lower wing. That way I can carve, file and sand away the excess CA then I can fill and sand again to get a smooth surface.
That's what I'm hoping to do however sometimes I lose detail when I get carried away with the sanding filling etc.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Just used a dab of CA and line nice and tight. I think I've cracked it. By Jove I think I've cracked it :)
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I have wondered about drilling through the wing with a small bit and then drill 1/2 way through the wing with a larger bit, thread the cable through and then 'trap' it in place with the thick end of a piece of stretched sprue. Normal poly will 'fuse' the plastic parts together which may keep the cable firmly in place. Less mess and easier to clean up than CA.
I will try this some time......
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Interesting discussion about rigging, CA and "tension".
I've learn something new! :-)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......

Return to “Workbench Window”