Toby's table top turmoil

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Toby's table top turmoil

Post by TobyC »

I thought it would be good to start a workbench window primarily to ask advice and show what I'm building.
Current project I'm about to embark on is a 1/72 Special Hobby FIAT G55.
Not having used PE stuff to any great extent before how do I affix them?
Also I have some instruments that are plastic film any recommendation on how to glue them? They can be seen between the decals and PE.
And last but not least some of the kit is polyurethane is there a special way to cut them or do I just use a normal blade. Some of the bits look very fiddly :shock:
Thanks for any help.
Oh yes here's the kit with either German or RAF markings.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Re: Toby's table top turmoil

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi neighbour!

Sorry but i can't offer any help to your questions but I'm surprised that there was a plane that shared both RAF and German markings! It's intrigued me.
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Blueberryruby wrote:Hi neighbour!

Sorry but i can't offer any help to your questions but I'm surprised that there was a plane that shared both RAF and German markings! It's intrigued me.
Hi there. We are indeed neighbours. You'd be surprised how many planes share markings.
If you haven't seen this website before it really is very useful.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/news;
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

TobyC wrote:
Blueberryruby wrote:Hi neighbour!

Hi there. We are indeed neighbours. You'd be surprised how many planes share markings.
If you haven't seen this website before it really is very useful.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/news;
Sorry, but I'm italian..... :-D Hope this can help:

(From "Ali d'Italia, Fiat G55 Centauro")
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Post by aeroplanegripper »

TobyC wrote:Not having used PE stuff to any great extent before how do I affix them?
Also I have some instruments that are plastic film any recommendation on how to glue them? They can be seen between the decals and PE.
And last but not least some of the kit is polyurethane is there a special way to cut them or do I just use a normal blade. Some of the bits look very fiddly :shock:
Thanks for any help.
Hello mate,
Not being an expert in any shape or form myself, the help I can give is that for the PE use CA glue, for the film for the IP use PVA glue (sparingly!) and for the resin, I have a fine Razor saw, and your right it is very fidly. I normally tape it down, score it with a hobby knife then use the razor saw. Careful though it can get dusty so use a face mask.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I thought my choice might've attracted your attention Guilio. Aeroplanegripper, thank for the tips.
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi Toby, that is indeed a very useful website! I've been trying to find good pictures for working out the colour schemes for older aircraft. Thanks for the heads up!

@giulio_gobbi - That's interesting, it makes me wonder how many other axis kits come in RAF decals and vice-versa, thanks!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I thought I'd try multi tasking but the only way I can do it is to have a totally different subject so have gone for an AFV in the form of the Armourfast T34.

Not exactly a lot to it and trying to find let alone buy after market decals/accessories for AFVs is not quite the doddle it is for aircraft :shock:
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Well it's been fun. No where as good as you guys but my T34 and FIAT G55 are progressing slowly. I loathe photo etch stuff.
Anyway here's how are things atm
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

The T34 marches on. Tried adding some extra detail with moderate success and getting the colour of the tracks is hit and miss from what I've read.

Meanwhile the G55 is progressing slowly. The cockpit proved a PITA and I gave up with some of the PE. How people manage it in 1/72 is a mystery to me. Also for the price this Special Hobby kit leaves a lot to be desired.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I find price doesn't always mean quality, Toby. I also know what you mean about PE. That's one of the reasons most of my builds are OOB.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Chris

Post by Chris »

Missed this earlier Toby, there are several types of CA glue, if you want to survive its use get the kind that sets up a little slower other wise it will get all over your fingersand be quite a mess!

I try to avoid using PE because I hate the glue but people who do it alot tell me it becomes second nature after awhile.
Honcho of ASMMF
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

TobyC wrote:
........ Meanwhile the G55 is progressing slowly. The cockpit proved a PITA and I gave up with some of the PE. How people manage it in 1/72 is a mystery to me. Also for the price this Special Hobby kit leaves a lot to be desired.

No mystery, just a matter of patience.

Instead, I wonder how much of that detail will be visible, especially with the canopy closed.
This is the real mistery to me! :)

I believe that manufacturer, should sell "Superdetailed Interiord" apart, and lower the cost of the box.
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

When I finish the FIAT I'm never going to do another model with a vacuum formed canopy. I can see why the give you two to bugger up!
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

I hate vac canopies too! The pe can be a pain but it does add a little finess to the detailing. Try using reading glasses and a toothpick to get the glue in the right place, use gel and not not the runny stuff as well.
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Workbench Window”