Dazzled's Den

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Den

Post by Ratch »

Pray tell, what's this new method of NMF Daz :-|
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ratch wrote:Pray tell, what's this new method of NMF Daz :-|

It's a metal self-adhesive tape used as an edge for composite material construction. I'm still experimenting at the moment, finding out the best way of burnishing it down and how big an area I can cover in one go. It's basically a panel-by-panel job at the moment but by smoothing it with a cotton cloth for cleaning spectacles it seems to conform to curves quite well. I've gone as far as I want to go for now as I want to have large sections painted before I continue but I'll be writing about it in more detail later in the build. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Sounds interesting, and possibly similar to a self adhesive foil tape used for sealing insulation around ducting that I've dabbled with; I'll be interested to see more about your tape!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The tape thing is interesting Daz. Will using it result in just one shade of NMF or will it be possible to vary the panel tones?

I had to laugh at the L and R markings in the fuse halves and can draw a comparison with my old wellington boots, which originated from British Gas and which have L and R stamped on the insides - makes you wonder when you see their guys working on the gas mains outside!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm hoping that the tones will have some natural variation although I am considering using varnishes to vary the shininess of individual panels. My main concern is burnishing the tape down enough to get a flat surface.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:I'm hoping that the tones will have some natural variation although I am considering using varnishes to vary the shininess of individual panels. My main concern is burnishing the tape down enough to get a flat surface.
Sounds like a job for a small paint roller type thingy, if you can get one small enough that is.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

So far the glasses cloth seems to be the best thing for getting into the recesses and around curves. I'm still experimenting though.

And I've made some progress with the fuselage.

Just a little flight deck work. It's all pretty straightforward apart from part 65, the rear console which needed a lot of fettling to make it fit in the desired location.

There won't be any progress this weekend as we're off to Modelkraft in Milton Keynes. Hoping to find some suitable tube for the jet pipes at the show. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Trundling along with the interior:

Just given everything a black wash before posting this. Still a way to go but happy with the progress. I managed to pick up some suitable styrene tube at Modelkraft too so jetpipes are now possible 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I'm a bit surprised the cockpit isn't black Daz :shock: but then, I'm no expert :ha:
Good work on her mate :mrgreen:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's looking pretty black now Ratch :lol:

The picture makes it look a little harsh but under normal sight via the Mk.1 eyeball it looks to have nice shadow definition. It'll look pretty good through the canopy I think. As you can see I've also been working on fitting the Pavla resin insert for the forward upper gun turrets. The bulkhead in front of it had to be moved forward and modified to fit but it's such a nicely detailed part that I didn't want to leave it out.

The seats and control columns are ready to go in although I'll be leaving them off until the last minute.

And the bomb bay is pretty much there.

Just got to paint and fit the bombs.

My next update may be slightly delayed as I'm going to be working for the next few days but hopefully I'll get some more done in the week.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wonderful progress on the B-36.
Any chance you will build it for ease of transportation? Removable wings?

cheers,

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's coming along nicely Darryl - great work on that interior.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Cor. Liking the detail work on the interior. Fabulous.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks guys. :)

No removable wings for me but I will need to build a special box.....and buy a bigger car....and perhaps an extension on the house :roll:

I've got a note above my bench. It says "NOSE WEIGHT".

Just an aid memoire you understand but it wouldn't be the first time :oops:

And to be able to get rid of that note I had to determine just how much weight I'd need to add to stop the beast being a tail sitter.

So, with everything taped together temporarily and the main u/c legs slotted into position (and a nice fit they are too :) )....

It was time to see how much of that piece of roofing lead I'd need to fit into the nose.

And that's what tipped it off it's tail. 4 and a quarter ounces of finest church roof ;-)

Just over a quarter pound of lead chopped up and stuffed into the available space.

All held in with oodles of cyano glue. Got to put it aside for a short while now to let everything set. I don't want any of the lead dropping out....it'd break my bloomin' foot. :shock:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is looking great Daz, the size of it with that two story flight deck and what have you, the full-size must have been an awe inspiring sight. I think that is possibly the most nose weight I've seen being crammed into a model!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”