Dazzled's Den

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Den

Post by dollar19 »

Nice going on the Mig! It sure looks good, well with the work you've put in.
The Centurion is coming along nicely too! It's a shame they package it with those tracks. Even molded link and length look better, and are easier to paint and pose. But I suppose to keep it halfway affordable some corner had to get cut.

Greg
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

So, not been posting much of late. Truth is I've been super-busy trying to find a new job. Happily, that was a successful quest and I start my new role on Monday. 8-)

Other factors that have figured in preventing posts is the amount of travelling Mrs D and I have been doing lately, and not just to model shows. We had a break in Nimes last month and returned from Belgium just a few days ago. Then there's the small matter of the SIG theme for Telford. This has turned out to be an impractical target and a huge mojo killer so I wasn't enjoying the modelling time that I had. However, the theme has now been abandoned as there just aren't enough Cold War SIG members building for it. Looking at the stash after making the decision to go back to a generalised theme was a huge relief and I've started enjoying the hobby again as well as having the opportunity to progress the ridiculously large pile of unfinished projects that are cluttering up the Den.

So, lately...

I bought this at the Thornbury Show earlier this month and it's already finished.

It's an old kit but a nice one and provides a quick mojo builder. The rubber band tracks are very good, which is always a bonus, and went together with the help of a hot screwdriver. It's painted in Tamiya XF-58 and is OOB in the photo although I did add a co-axial MG from brass tube afterwards. Weathering is via a dry brush with XF-56 and a good bladdering with Flory Models washes. This is one of the original Tamiya "carpet crawlers" and it does have parts for a battery compartment with it, however it also has some nice metal mesh for the engine grilles too and that does lift the model quite a bit. Fit is as you'd expect from Tamiya, excellent, although the 2-piece gun barrel did cause a few bad words to seep out :roll:

And my latest victim is a refugee from the unfinished mountain pile. The Trumpeter SAM-6.

It's a nice kit in general. The launcher vehicle is a superb piece of model engineering. Lots of parts though so it's not for the faint hearted. That said the kit does have it's faults. It's been roundly criticised over the missiles which are a little too thin and too long. I think they look OK. Certainly not bad enough to warrant the trouble of scratchbuilding new ones. My 2 main issues with this kit were:

1. Confusing instructions: Not surprising from Trumpeter. They're over-complicated, unclear in some places and the colour callouts range from useless to just plain silly.

2. The tracks: I'm quite a fan of link and length tracks but these are the worst I've come across (and I've put together Italeri ones!). They just don't hold together to allow you to put them on so it's a case of adding individual links, and the lengths are all over the place. I had to perform surgery on one link as one side appeared to be longer than the other :frown: Could do better here, I think.

Apart from that though it makes into a nice model and a very satisfying one when you finally get to the end.

So here it is, finished, again, in XF-58 and with rather more subtle weathering than the T-62.

So, two new models for the SIG display at the IPMS Chiltern show this weekend and 2 more boxes for the binmen. Nice to have room for more :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice work on the Russian heavy metal.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cracking work on both and I especially like the SAM-6
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work Comrade :) All of us here at Great Russian Tractor Factory applaud your work, and celebrate with much Vodka :beer:

Nigel
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Good work on that armour Daz 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Congrats on the new work Daz.

I am not an armour builder but I do like the T-62. The barrels on the back stand out to me. Nice work.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

cracking work as usual mate, and they look even better in the flesh
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Superb work Darryl!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Fantastic work Daz!
Would I be correct in saying you had these on display at Biggleswade?
Marek

Post by Marek »

Excellent results Darren and congrats on the new job!
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

:partytime: Very good work on the Missiles and tank!!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

So that's what you have been up to!
Wonderful Soviet armour!

Cheers,

David
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Very busy boy. Excellent work on the T-62 and the SAM launcher.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A pair of CW stunners Daz and I especially like the SAM-6 launcher and missiles, not that I find the T-62 mundane, far from it, but because the SAM's are so visually different in a world of AFV models. Top stuff.

Hope the new job is going well!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”