Dazzled's Den

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Den

Post by iggie »

That's a serious amount of weight! Awesome build so far.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

She's a heavy girl all right but that's OK...

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:

After I was confident that the lead weight was firmly held in place and after a few trial fits, it was time for the nerve wracking exercise of putting the fuselage halves together. At this point I realised that I didn't have any clamps big enough to go around the fuselage so resorted to stitching it with cyano and Zip Kicker followed by application of liquid cement to the spaces between. It still needs some work, and the obligatory filler but it looks OK so far. And I remembered to put the wing brace in 8-)

The next session's target is to finish the process and sort out the seams.

At this point I feel that I should issue a warning to all my fellow modellers. I'm not sure how it happened but while I was waiting a couple of hours for the glue around the lead to set up fully some objects appeared on the bench.

With all interior work done and largely assembled. Not sure how that happened but it was damned quick ;-)

I was so shocked that I treated their seams to some filler and then went for a little lie down.

I think I've been overdoing it lately :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I have stood alongside a B-36, indoors at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, and it is awesome!

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Blimey Daz, are kits breeding on your bench or something? :-D
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:Blimey Daz, are kits breeding on your bench or something? :-D
I'm not sure Shaun......they just seemed to happen ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

You could have used them both as noise weight...... :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That big un's looking nice Darryl.

Those Airfix Sabres are really kits - I really enjoyed the one I built.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Have you been stripping a church roof somewhere :-D
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ratch wrote:Have you been stripping a church roof somewhere :-D

Absolutely not!!

One church roof's worth of lead just wouldn't have been enough :ha:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

Amazing work on the B-36!! a friend of mine has one, still on it´s box, and is reeeeeal large!!

How many tins of silver do you got??
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm still considering how to finish it. I've decided to build it as a B-36D so I may not need anti flash white. However, if I do a white underside I'll use auto spray primer. The darker panels on the topsides of wings and fuselage will be Vallejo metallic duralumin. The rest of it may be several shades of paint or metallic tape.

Decisions, decisions ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

It´s going to be very interesting process!
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

Wow the bar is set very high around here, great work, spot on paintwork and weathering, certainly gives me something to aspire to. The whole thread full of stuff that I can learn from, a great read.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thank you Billy. I'm always trying to improve. Mrs D says I'm very trying ;-)

Anyhow, some more stuff going on.

It's been a bit Miggy this week. I've not forgotten about the B-36. I can't, it's literally like an elephant in the room :roll: , but I'm pushing to get a few new models for the Coventry and Warks IPMS show at the end of June. They also have to be useful for Telford too. I'd like to take the Peacemaker but the show has limited space and I don't think there'd be room for it.

So, things have got smaller with the intention of getting a few kits constructed and then having a couple of big painting sessions with multiple subjects. The theory is that it'll be more efficient by reducing the necessity to clean the airbrushes so often. My main aim is to do quite bit of NMF stuff hence the Migs.

The 2 kits occupying me at the moment are the Mistercraft (ex KP) Mig-19S with Pavla resin cockpit and the Dragon Mig-17.

Both are giving me a hard time :frown: , the Mistercraft kit predictably, the Dragon kit less so. There are more details in my Big Mig Build thread in the aviation modelling section but it's been a fight so far. The -19 is poor fitting, clunky, has shape compromises and lacks detail. I'm doing what I can to correct these but it's a challenge.

Dragon's -17 has been a little disappointing. It's nicely detailed, fits well and has a good cockpit but poor engineering and manufacturing let the kit down. sink marks, a short-shot fuselage half and a struggle to fit in noseweight make unnecessary work although it's still nicer than the -19 by a country mile.

I think my next session with these is likely to involve filler.

A far nicer build experience has been the Airfix Sabres. In fact the only issue has been the fit of the canopies. This was evident on both kits and was sorted with some judicious fettling. They're almost ready for masking. 8-)

Obviously one of these will be part of the planned NMF binge painting session. The other won't be alone. It'll be finished using some cutting edge decals for an RAF Germany aircraft and I have some other ideas that will involve either a Swift or a 1/48th scale Meteor (or maybe both) to be painted alongside it.

Otherwise, some 1/35th armour has been spotted on the bench, but more about that in another update (and if I actually remember to take some pictures :oops: ) and I have a cunning plan to add another subject to the NMF list.

I've had this idea for a little while now. In fact I've probably mentioned it previously to some forum members while we've been at shows. It concerns USS Forrestal. I'm a bit of an aircraft carrier fan, I think many of us are here, and Forrestal IMHO was probably the most important ship of it's type ever produced. It was revolutionary in the same way as HMS Dreadnought, probably even more so and, unlike Dreadnought, Forrestal saw quite a bit of action during her long career. When I heard that the US navy had sold her to the scrappers for one cent I was a little outraged. Actually I was bloody annoyed, particularly as there was an association that had raised a substantial sum of money in order to preserve her as a museum ship. So the world lost an important piece of naval, military and engineering history and some scrap merchant made himself a big profit. :evil:

My idea is to build as many aircraft carrying Forrestal markings as I can find plus a model of the ship herself. I already have a small collection of aircraft and decals towards this project and started building the Airfix Forrestal a while back. I'm rather hoping that Trumpeter/Merit might bring out a 1/350th kit of a Forrestal class carrier :roll: . In the meantime I plan to start this and have it built in time for Telford. One of the marking options is for VA-86 aboard Forrestal during her shakedown cruise in 1956 so it seems a good place to start 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Thats a lot of building going on!
Great to see the B-36 being built - I ended up selling mine one ebay :oops:
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II

Return to “Workbench Window”