Dazzled's Den

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Den

Post by Dazzled »

Purplethistle wrote:Do you have any particular squadron in mind for your Forrestal Project Vigilante? From what I've seen whilst researching my own USN project, most of the specific detail is on the tail fin with a squadron badge on the fuselage, the rest being standard markings. I will be making up a decal sheet of lettering and numbers within the next couple of weeks and will probably have enough free space to run off a couple of Vigilante fins if you want me to do that.

That's very kind of you PT. I have been conducting some research myself. In fact I'm creating a spreadsheet of the aircraft operated from Forrestal, gathering and cross-referencing information from a number of sources and listing them by manufacturer/type/mark/squadron and year operated. By using a spreadsheet I'll be able to filter and cross-reference but it is a slow process. I'm at over 100 entries and until I saw your kind offer had no Vigilantes listed (or Tomcats, Hornets and Hawkeyes). So it's going to be a bit of an ongoing project.

I have found out that the following squadrons operated Vigilantes from Forrestal:

RVAH-12 from 1968-69
RVAH-13 from 1969-70
RVAH-7 in 1971
RVAH-9 from 1972-73
RVAH-6 in 1974
RVAH-7 in 1975

I don't mind which squadron really as long as the Vigilante is represented although I am a little wary of assuming that the colour scheme will be standard. I did some research into VF-74 and found that they changed the colours of their F-4s quite a lot as they moved from ship to ship. So I'll look out for some reference photos and get back to you 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Daz, you might want to see what decal options are offered aftermarket too ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

If I may ask Darryl (in case I missed it), what's the idea/theme behind the project?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ratch wrote:Daz, you might want to see what decal options are offered aftermarket too ;-)
Hi Ratch. I've looked long and hard around aftermarket options and I'm out of options for some aircraft, hence my appeal for help and information in the Wants and Needs section. At Telford I consulted one of the dealers who is a a/m decals guru. I came away with a 1989/1990 low viz Airwing 6 decal sheet by Carpena but that was as far as he could help me.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Sir T wrote:If I may ask Darryl (in case I missed it), what's the idea/theme behind the project?
You may indeed ask Stu. Odd as it may seem for a middle aged guy living in Wales, I'm more than a little annoyed that the US Navy decided to sell one of the most important ships ever built for scrap (for just one cent!) when there was a society ready to place her in preservation. I just think that it's a ship that deserves to be celebrated and this is my own small way of doing so.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Dazzled wrote:I just think that it's a ship that deserves to be celebrated and this is my own small way of doing so.
Right on!

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Well, I've been making some good progress with the S Tank, despite a lot of obstacles to modelling being thrown in my path. The latest was when my airbrush compressor packed up this morning, just as I was about to apply a coat of matt varnish :sad:

So a little engineering intervention was called for.

It's a cheap Chinese compressor although I've had it for a few years now. It does have a receiver, regulator and water trap though and it's usually quite a good performer. This morning though there was nothing doing. Fortunately, it's not a complicated machine and I was quickly able to discover the problem.

The big end drive to the piston connecting rod is via an eccentric cam which is threaded on to the end of the motor spindle. Now some of you might be familiar with old cars with spoked wheels where there was a single large nut to hold the wheel on. On one side of the car they'd loosen in one direction and on the other side they'd loosen in the opposite direction. This was done to ensure that the nuts tightened in the direction of wheel rotation and ensure that the wheels didn't fall off while the car was driving along. I just wish that our Chinese compressor-making cousins had that basic engineering insight. The thread into the cam is right-handed and comes loose when the motor turns. It seems to have been held on by some sort of glue which, after several years of service had given up. Fortunately I have some Loctite 601 retaining compound in my workshop and that seems to have done the trick. Alternatives would have been a complete strip down in order to drill and fit a pin to the drive or to have re-wired the motor so it runs in the opposite direction. Fingers crossed it'll keep working.

Naturally though, something else went wrong and a wire came loose. It had just never been crimped in properly.

This was remedied with my trusty soldering iron. It won't come out again!!

Finally, after this little diversion I was able to finish the S Tank, and here it is.

And here's the build thread http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=378&t=16315

Now for some uninterrupted aircraft building.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice! Also, rather good fixing hack on that compressor.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

That S Tank is seriously good! A very impressive build indeed
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice bit of remedial work on your compressor, and with the Swedes being famous for their flat pack furniture, why wouldn't they have a flat pack tank? :lol:

Nigel
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Do you have measurements for the tail fins of your Vigilante and Fury kits (height and length of base and top ) I have markings of a/c used by RVAH-13 in 1970 and VF-21 in 1956 that can be made up when the decal sheet I've just ordered turns up.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That S Tank is really excellent, Daz. I see now the problem you alluded to in the Scandie GB with your compressor. Nicely fixed that man.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

Hi mate. I have a set of Superscale Decals for a F4J of VMFA-451. If you want them PM me your addy and I will post them off to you.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Dazzled wrote:
Sir T wrote:If I may ask Darryl (in case I missed it), what's the idea/theme behind the project?
You may indeed ask Stu. Odd as it may seem for a middle aged guy living in Wales, I'm more than a little annoyed that the US Navy decided to sell one of the most important ships ever built for scrap (for just one cent!) when there was a society ready to place her in preservation. I just think that it's a ship that deserves to be celebrated and this is my own small way of doing so.
That sounds a great idea for a project Darryl - Good luck with it.

The S-Tank looks superb. I've always found that type interesting and it's great to see one built.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Unfortunately there is too much of this kind of thing these days.
Using the harrier as an example, they sold most of the fleet for spare parts for the price of one F-35, that's criminal!

Return to “Workbench Window”