The Fox's bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: The Fox's bench

Post by Desert_fox »

A bit more work on the MiG to report. I've attached the tail and filled the gaps in the tail and fuselage. This morning I have attached the wings and am waiting for the glue to set. After that, the next step will to be fill the (very small) gaps between the wings and fueslage.

I've pressed a couple of pegs into service to hold the plane up while the glue dries. I placed them directly under the joints so they don't cause the wings to sit at an angle once dry:

I always love it when I get to this stage in a project - it looks like an actual aeroplane now, and even though there is a lot still to do it feels like I've achieved something :grin:
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice work. It looks like a fun kit to build. Have you decided what paint scheme you're going to use?
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

nice work. your Mig is coming along very good
Cheers
Martin
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Cheers guys.

Dirkpitt, I'm going for the all silver Russian scheme for a few main reasons: I've never painted an aircraft that is all silver before, it is exactly what I imagine a MiG to look like in my mind's eye, and it will look good next to my soon-to-be all silver F86 Sabre!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Good choice. The -15 looks best in silver
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Thanks. I completely agree - silver aircraft look fast, sleek and elegant to me. Perfect for a jet fighter!

Since those last photos were taken I've filled in the wing roots, and undercoated the whole model. It's now sitting in the garage on a shelf looking lonely while the paint dries :grin:
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

My next models will be an Airfix MiG & Sabre so I'm following yours with interest!

'Like all pilots who flew and fought in the Hurricane, I grew to love it. It was strong, highly maneuverable, could turn inside the Spitfire and of course the Me109. Best of all it was a marvelous gun platform.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

A:B
2011 04:08 2009 19:16
2010 44:12 2008 16:03

Overall 166:44
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

THE HORROR! The lightning decals for the tailplane (as can be seen here: http://shop.singahobby.com/files/images/MiG-15-1.jpg) turned out to be rather fiddly. One of them broke in two places, just for a laugh it seemed. I wasn't doing anything stupid, I soaked it my usual way (i.e. the way that doesn't result in decals committing Seppuku) and applied microsol to the area. But when I tried to slide it slightly it broke in two places. I suppose a good carpenter should never blame his tools, but I am not a good carpenter so will blame mine! Fortunately the other one went on in one piece, and the broken one may have been saved by some quick reactions. Time will tell - I aim to get some more photographs up tomorrow so you can see the MiG in all it's silver glory, preferably with a lightning strike on both sides of the tail plane...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Be careful with MicroSOL, as that's the one that can easily gobble up decals, (as opposed to MicroSET).

Regards,
Bruce
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Damn it - I meant Microset! The blue one anyway, not the red one. I often get them confused :ha:

Return to “Workbench Window”